Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

• 

4 Messages

Tue, Jan 28, 2020 5:03 PM

Are newer smart/4k tvs DirecTV ready?

I'm getting ready to switch to DirecTV, and am trying to see if most Smart TVs are 'DirecTV ready'.

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.8K Messages

2 weeks ago

Not sure what you mean by "DirecTV ready".

Any modern 4K TV should work just fine with DirecTV.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

A DirecTV Ready TV is one that has the RVU Client built-in. It will be specifically labeled. However it is not suggested as in addition to the limitation of being a Client (no tuner so steals one from the Genie, cannot work without it, etc.), it usually works slower than a dedicated Mini Genie Client, plus the software/firmware updates that are provided by the TV manufacturer tend to be behind.

Personally with the limited true 4K content on DirecTV, I suggest having a regular HDDVR instead of a Client (Mini Genie or RVU). But here is the info on what is required for 4K for reference:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K TV, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K TV.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K TV must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60 FPS

DirecTV Installation, 4K TV must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only a couple channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs)

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one TV can be using a 4K channel at a time.

The Genie-2 (HS17) tower can be used instead of the HR54, but is not suggested per built-in limitations and not all bugs squashed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

Thanks - I was looking at packages on DirecTV's site since we'll be switching soon, and they talked about the DirecTV ready TVs - I was hoping that meant that I could eliminate some of the Genies. It sounded like those TVs would, but I wanted some clarification.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

Eliminating Genies doesn't change your bill. You pay the same for each TV ($7), no matter how it is connected (Mini Genie Client, DirecTV Ready RVU Client, HDDVR, HD non-DVR).

What are the exact models of each box you have now?

Or by "switching soon" did you mean switching providers instead of an existing DirecTV package?

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

I don't have any - I haven't signed up yet (I'm building a new house, that won't be complete for a couple months yet). I'm trying to do my due diligence in advance, and deciding how many TV's to hook up. I know with Roku you have access to most of your channels' currently live shows and channel apps even if you don't have a box for that TV - and the smart TVs have the roku app built in already.

• 

4 Messages

Yes - I'm with Spectrum now and will be changing to DirecTV in the next couple months. We are building a house in the country, and Spectrum doesn't provide service that far in the sticks. I used to have DirecTV prior to Spectrum, and am trying to limit the number of total boxes we have - I know that you can access channel apps that you have in your lineup through Roku as long as they are part of your package on TVs that don't have a box. I was just trying to avoid having too many boxes. It sounded like you could avoid having an actual box by having a Smart TV that was 'DirecTV ready' (still pay the $7).

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

Ok not an existing account.

Intro offer covers equipment for Genie and up to 3 Mini Genie Clients (total 4 TVs). If you have a TV labeled as DirecTV Ready that is an RVU Client built-into the TV. The TV must be internet connected as will need to keep updated by the TV maker, not DirecTV. There may be an additional charge to install RVU as opposed to the provided equipment.

Using the RVU of a TV does reduce boxes, but does not lessen the monthly bill. If ever the built-in RVU Client is no longer compatible, or just doesn't perform well enough for your preferences, then you would have to get a actual DirecTV box at that time.

Yes many channels still have their own individual apps that you can use through media streaming devices. Doesn't count towards your authorized TV/Client fees of course as not accessed through DirecTV itself.

Even if all your TVs are DirecTV Ready and you choose to use the built-in Client, you will still have at minimum 1 box. This is because it requires the Genie receiver box to authorize the service and works as the server for all Clients.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

8.8K Messages

even if it was directv ready, its not recomended to use. it will depend on the tv manufacturer to update the software. they have a habit of stopping after a couple of years, and of being slow when they do it.

also be warned, that the channel apps someties fail to properly get the directv account info.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
nabukl

ACE - Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

A DirecTV ready tv still requires a genie for it to work, minis (which is what makes a DirecTV ready tv DirecTV "ready" don't work without the genie which is the server.