Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wed, Jul 8, 2015 2:25 AM

Anyone having judder issues with Starz?

Recently several Starz channels have had a very jerky, juddery, picture.  I have reset receiver but does not help.  Occasionally syfy experiences the same issues.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Responses

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Hello Hopper 3.

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

4 years ago

i'm having this problem in HD channels.  no issue w/SD channels.

i have hd23-700.  i've get the "alignment" error for many months.  only recently got bad.   but over the phone they say no alignment issue.  LOL.  so we'll see when he comes out this wk.  

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

Please read this post starting at the bottom (oldest) and reading up (newest).  We solicit everyone's help in trying to get a resolution to this problem.  It's beginning to appear to be a DirecTV problem, and not a content provider problem like we initially thought.  Thanks!

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/58072-movies-are-skippingstuttering/

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

4 years ago

well, amazing what happening when part of the Dish is replaced. 🙂   this is the 4th time they have been replaced - amazes me how they don't hold up well.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Hey anyone know how to fix this problem it seem to be getting worse. At first it starz channels. Now Hbo Encore and others are shuttering most of the time. All my signals are at 95 to 100 percent and I already had the LNB and dish alignment. Its been going on since last year.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

If you read the similar thread at TCM support forum you will discover that DirecTV is pretty much in denial about the problem, yet rumor has it they are working on it.  May have started when AT&T took over.  I have 100% failure on old B&W movies on TCM like "Stagecoach" and "Fort Apache" everytime they show those movies (I have them recorded as evidence).  I haven't noticed in on Starz, but don't watch those channels much.

The work-around is to skip backward and forward until it stops happening.  Sometimes 1 skip backward is enough, other times have to go 3 back then 1 forward, etc.  It seems to be a buffering problem, but I don't think DirecTV is aware of that piece of troublsheeting evidence.  Lot's more symptoms on the TCM thread.

My personal belief is that DirecTV made a firmware change last Fall that is causing the problem, or the content providers increased their compression encoding to where the receiver can't cope with it.  That's why changing the buffering via backward/forward skip changes the symptoms.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.7K Messages

4 years ago

@rgp1942 wrote:

If you read the similar thread at TCM support forum you will discover that DirecTV is pretty much in denial about the problem, yet rumor has it they are working on it.  May have started when AT&T took over.  ...

No, the problem existed before AT&T was involved.  It's taken way to long to fix.  Your workarounds are excellent advice.  I find that by using the "skip back" button a few times it will be OK.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

>>Your workarounds are excellent advice.  I find that by using the "skip back" button a few times it will be OK

That's why I think it's a compression decoding timing problem -- forcing more buffering gets it to stop.  Feedback from others indicates this workaround may not hold throughout the whold movie, but my experience is that it does.

p.s. If anybody knows a way to trick DirecTV support into actually readying this post let me know.  I think once they know it's a buffering problem they will know what to do to fix it.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I have a HR21-700.  I have been recording and then watching Black Sails on Starz and Vinyl on HBO.  I noticed this problem on Black Sails a couple of months ago when the new season started.  It is very bad on Vinyl.  I thought it was a DVR recording issue.  I tried resetting the DVR but no improvements.  I do not have this issue on shows I record on other channels.  Is this a signal or software issue? 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

It's not a signal issue.  Per the TCM thread (link above), until recently we thought it was a TCM issue, as that's where it first surfaced.  But thanks to info in this thread we now know it's more likely a DirecTV issue.  Still could be a contenct provider (channels) issue resulting from a change to video stream encoding (that may have been mandated by DirecTV).  DirecTV has a finite band width, so to have more channels they may have required higher video compression -- possibly by way of the fees they charge the content providers.  Another cause could be that DirecTV pushed out a new firmware level circa August/September of last year, which wasn't fully tested.  I suspect the latter, and that it's related to buffer sizes.

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.3K Messages

4 years ago

Check this out. When you are seeing the problem, wait for commercials and watch the problem disappear. Then when the movie comes back again, the problem starts up. This shows it's something to do with the encoding of the movie itself. I don't think it's related to DirecTv bandwidth, or buffering. Remember the original movie is 24fps, and the channel converts it to 30fps (60 half frames, interlaced) before sending it to DirecTV.  My guess is that there's something wrong with this conversion, or DirecTv isn't handling the converted signal correctly.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

The channels I am having problems with are HBO and Starz and there are no commercials.
TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.3K Messages

4 years ago

look at the announcments between shows and see if they have the same issues

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

Per a recent post at this link, DirecTV knows it's their problem, but not what to do to fix it.

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/58072-movies-are-skippingstuttering/#entry1276345

If you are having this problem please report it to DirecTV and demand a solution.  DirecTV's line is "Gee, nobody else is reporting this problem.", which you will probably hear, but keep pestering them.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

I wish there was a way to combine this thread with this thread so everybody could be "on the same page":

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/58072-movies-are-skippingstuttering/?p=1277396