Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
S

• 

8 Messages

Tue, Jun 30, 2020 5:24 AM

ABC changed frequencies...

So our ABC channel changed frequencies at midnight EST today; they've been warning viewers for about a month, now, and those who use an antenna were told to scan for the new frequency, while those of us on cable and satellite were told our companies would do it for us.

Well, it's been an hour and half now, and ABC is still off air (black screen--all other channels are fine). Anyone know or have an idea of how long before AT&T/DTV will actually do the switch? I'd like not to miss the news when it comes on in the morning.

As a note, I've already turned everything off and back on just in case my box needed that extra 'hint' to recalibrate to the new frequency.

Responses

Accepted Solution

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.2K Messages

6 days ago

Try logging into your account and refreshing your receiver.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

8 Messages

@shannon02

Thank you; just did and going to give it the recommended 5 minutes. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll try and catch customer service when they open in the morning. As of now, the refresh has not helped. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

If you have a favorites list, DirecTV doesn't change that setting. You have to unhide the specific channel. This is provided that the channel is still available through DirecTV, which it should be provided they didn't change to a "sub-channel".

Check www.directv.com/locals to see if they reflect the updated info. Also check https://www.att.com/tvpromise/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

8 Messages

I'm not 100% sure if it's a naionwide chnge on ABCs part (specifically, the frequency ABC used to run on, at least where I live in NC, changed at midnight). So the change itself is what I am assuming is causing the channel not to show (I don't have any favorites lists; I just use the remote and the standard menus to find what I want to watch).

The local ABC news outlet was the one putting out the information that this was going to be happening, so that people who use an antenna for free access could recalibrate their antennas...but ABC also said that if we were on a satellite or cable box, that the companies would be the ones to do the required frequency change--which is why I suspect it's because DTV hasn't done the refresh on their end yet, to set up the new frequency in their line up, rather than a problem on my end (I am trying all the troubleshooting fixes anyway, though.)

• 

8 Messages

And yep, ABC is still listed

• 

8 Messages

As a reference, I can switch to where ABC should be, and the top info bar etc shows up (the one that shows you what channel you're on and what's playing), but the screen/channel itself is black like it is when there's been an interruption to the channel's service (like when it's been totally cut off due to technical difficulties)

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.2K Messages

6 days ago

It was your local affiliate that changed their OTA frequency which is why they told everyone using OTA to scan the channels again but this shouldn't have changed the feed they send to DTV unless that is what DTV is using.

You can try a red button reset

• 

8 Messages

@shannon02

I've tried that too. I'll just wait until the offices are open at this point; this isn't the first time ABC has 'mysteriously' done this. Most of the time it means I just have to wait for several hours for DTV to get its act together and figure out what's going on on their end after they get a bunch of complaint calls. Like I said, everything else, including being able to use the 'rewind' function to rewind whatever is on ABC (a black screen--not much to rewind!) works on all channels. It's not on my end. It's just annoying when this happens. Meanwhile, I'm just watching the news on the internet.

• 

8 Messages

@shannon02

And yep, now it's come on by itself, right at 6am. Just had to wait for everyone to wake up and get to fixing/flipping the right switch.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. 

• 

8 Messages

(Final note: News station itself just stated the viewers were complaining that their providers hadn't flipped the switch for some people yet, and they had reached out to the providers for help. Just for information's sake.)

Get started...

Ask a new question