U-verse Installation Tips
Equipment placement is very important when installing services. It can affect your Wi-Fi signal, your Wireless Receivers, and even your DVR functionality! We have some helpful tips below that will ensure your services work as they should once installed. Check out our Welcome Center for more information.
Ultimately, it is up to you to determine where the boxes are placed. Our technicians will use wiring in your home to setup your services. In some instances, new wiring has to be placed if the current wiring in your home is not able to support the services. If you home is not wired, our technician wire your home. Depending on how your home is built will determine how they are able to wire the service and will do their best to conceal it. If you have another service, please let our technicians know so it is not interrupted.
Make Sure The Modem....
- Is In A Centralized Location - this will ensure the best Wi-Fi coverage possible
- Is Free and Clear - Electronics like speakers can impact modem performance and slow down your service.
- Is Elevated - Place the modem on a shelf or stand. If the modem is on carpet, static electricity can build up and impact modem performance
- Is plugged into a wall outlet - Some surge protectors have been known to cause resets and modem failure.
Not only will the above improve performance, but it will prevent unnecessary service calls.
When the DVR and Receivers are installed...
- Make sure they are placed in an open environment. The box can over heat if placed in a cabinet. Some pets like the warmth, we highly recommend keeping them off the receiver.
- Plug it directly into a wall outlet. Some surge protectors have been known to cause issues.
- Try to avoid coax cables if possible. We recommend using an Ethernet cable from the wall to the receiver and an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV for an optimal connection.
For more detailed information regarding modem location, modem environment and DVR environment, please check out the following articles.
Are you replacing a modem or receiver? Click here for some helpful videos!
ChrisZ, AT&T Community Specialist
AT&T Customer Care
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp