Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.
lillyb

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Mon, Oct 21, 2019 10:31 PM

uverse and wireless headphones - paired/connected to tv....but no audio

My Bose Soundsport wireless headphones have been successfully paired and connected to my Samsung Smart TV. But I am unable to get the sound. After extensive troubleshooting by Samsung tech support they were able to get sound into the earphones when the UVerse cable box was bypassed (so we know the earphones and TV are connected). Samsung said uVerse needs to “adjust the audio output so it is compatible with the Bluetooth device (the earphones”. 

i am afraid where to go from here (how to get UVerse to adjust the audio output) is a bit beyond my skill set.

Any direction is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Responses

_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

4 months ago

Samsung said uVerse needs to “adjust the audio output so it is compatible with the Bluetooth device (the earphones”.

Huh?  The only audio output the dvr or receiver has is the audio carried along with the video data via hdmi to your tv (or some sort of audio/video box you hook to your tv) or the dvr/receiver's left/right audio out RCA jacks. Ignoring the audio out RCA jacks you say your tv, connected to the dvr/receiver via HDMI, has an audio out option of it's own via bluetooth.  So the problem is solely between the tv and your bluetooth earphones.  I don't see what the uverse stuff has anything to do with this.  What does it mean to "bypass" the uverse dvr or receiver?  What is the tv using for a signal input then?  An antenna?  Is there some restriction on the tv's input selections which allow the audio to pass through to the bluetooth?  

Assuming you are using an hdmi connection to the dvr/receiver there are certain hdmi standards that need to be followed (including unfortunately HDCP).  Since the audio/video is carried via hdmi there is nothing att needs to adjust.  Does the tv show the video when connected to the dvr/receiver?  Does the tv's own audio work without the bluetooth enabled?

Wonder what would happen if you didn't use hdmi but used component cables instead from dvr/receiver to tv.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click "Like" if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lillyb

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

4 months ago

Thank you for your reply. As noted in my post, I am in over my head on this. Regarding the adjustment to the audio, I am only repeating what the Samsung tech (who was remotely controlling my TV) said.

In answer to your questions (that I am able to answer):

—- TV shows video when connected to DVR/receiver.

—- Yes, the TV’s own audio works without the Bluetooth setup.

The Samsung tech was able to get the TV audio to go through the earphones; from looking a what she was doing on the screen it appeared that she had bypassed the cable box. (She initially asked me if I had a Netflix account—-which I do not—-saying she could try it using that app because Netflix does not deliver content the same way as regular TV. Of course I had no idea.)

I will call back Samsung today, read the your reply and see what they say. I would have thought the earphones were simply not compatible with my TV except the Samsung tech was able to get them to work.....just not using the cable box (I believe). She sounded very confident in her assessment, but again, I am in over my head on this. (My competence seemed to end after Bluetooth pairing/ connecting.)

Should I post the next round of discussion from Samsung?

Thank you.