madmax988's profile

Scholar

• 

602 Messages

Thursday, April 22nd, 2021 11:52 PM

Do I have to replace ven 501 wap with vap2500?

I have 2 wireless stbs. #1 is a isb7005 #2 is a VIP2500, and a VEN501 wap.  The VIP2500 burned out, so at&t sent me a replacement vip2500, they included a VAP2500.  I setup the vip2500 and it works fine with my old ven501.  When my other vip2500 burned out 2 years ago and they replaced it with the isb7005 the techs tried replacing my ven401 with a vap 2500 and it would not work with both STB's at the same time for more than 24 hours due to software bug.  They ended up hunting me down a ven501 to finally solve the issue.  It's possible the software bug has been fixed now. 

Questions:

1. Can I swap the ven 501 for the vap2500 and swap them back if the vap2500 doesn't work correctly? or would the ven501 be deactivated on my account?
  2. OR can I just keep the ven 501 and send back the VAP2500? or will something go wrong on my account?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

3 years ago

Non returned equipment fee is $150...

The WAP is $49

This is consider customer equipment similar to remotes or airtie.

There are even reports of customers trying to return WAPs to UPS or FedEx and told they cannot accept them as not on the list of returnable equipment.

Can a tech take the WAP, yes... turns it on to stockroom personnel who can return the WAP... for the 501 and 2500 ends up being checked and sent back out to garages for usage as refurb equipment. 

Similar ATT will refurb the S20 and S30 remotes but not the S10 or older grey units. 

As ATT does not have a $49 billing for non returned equipment, I would not be concerned.

If cancel the account, may show on list of equipment to be returned. But again if shipping agent will not accept the unit, how can you return it.

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

3 years ago

The WAP is not part of the equipment list assigned to your account...

You may use either, if choose to swap will need to connect the receivers to the new WAP. Unplug power from both receivers, exchange the WAPS, restore power... the receivers will time out looking for old WAP, come up with screens asking to depress related buttons to pair the units. 

If choose to swap back to the original WAP, repeat process.

Should not need to return the original WAP, keep for a backup.

Scholar

• 

602 Messages

3 years ago

Are you sure customers aren't required to return WAP?

I figured the WAP probably wasn't assigned to account because it doesn't have the weird must wait until activation date system like the  STB's do.  When I log into my account and go troubleshooting, it shows my 4 different model STBs i currently have(vip2500,isb7500,isb7000,isb7005) and 2 ven 501s(it showed this way and hasn't changed since before I ordered a replacement)

Or do they treat them like remote controls?  Although I know the last time I had my wap swapped a bunch of times by techs they kept making sure to take the old ones, even though I'd been mailed them originally.  

I think my plan is to just make sure everything keeps working for a week or 2 with the old ven501 and then return the vap2500 when I return the broken vip2500.  So far it's all worked fine, except one time the "new" vip2500 lost it's signal and softbooted the day after I installed it, but I'm hoping that was just it running an update.

I'd love to have a backup on hand, but I also don't want to risk the hassle of AT&T claiming I didn't return something and trying to get my money back.  I've been down that obnoxious road before, (which is why I now physically film a video of me putting the exact serial # equipment in the att box and handing it to UPS store employee + keep tracking # whenever I return equipment.

Thanks for the help.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.