For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
M

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, November 28th, 2020 4:46 AM

U-verse signal lost but changing channel works - for one minute then freezes

I get the U-verse signal is lost message, but if I Go up or down one channel, Things work great - for one minute and then the picture freezes and sound goes away.  Have tried all the cable connections, even switched the receiver with the one from another tv in the house, To no avail.  

Ideas? 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

3 years ago

So... when does it freeze?  And does it resume by itself?

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

I found that I had a wifi extender that was causing the same situation. The kind that plugs into a electrical outlet. After I removed it my problem was resolved. 

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

@JefferMC it'll freeze after approximately 5 minutes.  It'll then go the the "Uverse Lost Signal" page with trouble shooting steps.  It will resolve itself and resume programming if I don't channel up--down.  Which I usually do (since I'm impatient:)).  Then the same cycle repeats itself.

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

That's exactly what mine would do.

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

@JefferMC @Jimbo87 @gr8sho I replaced the DVR that AT&T sent.  It did not fix the issue.  I unplugged the other 2 stb's and allowed the DVR to boot up and receive upgrades being pushed to it.  Once back online, it froze around the 5 min mark. Same as always.

This seems to be a communication issue, not a connection issue.  Is there not a setting within the Modem/Gateway (replaced earlier this week) to tweak?

As previously mentioned, I have many devices plugged into a 24 port switch. The modem is connected to the Cisco/Meraki MS220 8 port Gig PoE switch which connects to the Netgear 24 port switch.

From the 4 ports on the Modem - 3 are connected directly to the 3 stb's and the 4th is connected to the Cisco switch.

Everything has run fine for years, literally.  But should the modem connect to the Netgear 24 port switch instead of the Cisco switch?

Running out of ideas.  Thanks.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

3 years ago

Call for a tech visit. Let att try to find the problem. Refresh my memory. What, if anything was changed in your network just before the freezing began regularly?

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

@browndk26 no changes to network.  Very brief power outage, but I've had dozens of those since I had same issue 2-3 years ago.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

3 years ago

There's no reason why you can't have two levels of switches like that.  And if all your AT&T IPTV devices are connected directly to the gateway, those switches shouldn't matter unless they are malfunctioning.  Have you tried disconnecting the switch from the Gateway to see if that makes the problem go away?  (Yes, I know it disconnects your house from the Internet, but if you can reproduce the issue in 5 minutes...)

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

3 years ago

@MBOKC 

As @JefferMC said, dumb down your home network to prove to yourself the TV service is working correctly.  

I do not agree a truck roll is needed unless service to the gateway is a concern.  

And while I also agree the switches as I understand them to be connected shouldn’t create the problem you’re seeing, I don’t pretend to know all the intricacies of multicast in a home network.  

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

@JefferMC @Jimbo87 @gr8sho @browndk26 I dumb'ed down the network by unplugging the modem connection to the switch (it was connected to the Cisco 8 port switch).  The remaining connections from the modem are directly to the 3 stb's.  Tested all 3 stb's and...everything worked! 

Changed the traffic up slightly by reconnecting the internet feed from the modem and then plugging into the Netgear 24port switch instead back into the Cisco switch (i have no idea why this would or wouldn't be a solution). The only connection to the Cisco switch is from the Netgear to supply a network connection.  The other 3 'out's" are connected to the 3 access points in the house.

So now the 24 port switch is bearing the load for the remaining data, Apple TV, Control 4 controllers, Sonos, etc.

connections. The issue has to be within the switch - right? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.