For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
M

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, November 28th, 2020 4:46 AM

U-verse signal lost but changing channel works - for one minute then freezes

I get the U-verse signal is lost message, but if I Go up or down one channel, Things work great - for one minute and then the picture freezes and sound goes away.  Have tried all the cable connections, even switched the receiver with the one from another tv in the house, To no avail.  

Ideas? 

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

No other routers or WAP. I'll try disconnecting things and let you know. Thanks again. 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

3 years ago

Also try keeping the Uverse tv traffic on their own Ethernet ports(s).  I would have expected the tech to try and isolate the tv traffic from the rest.   
The unmanaged switch they installed is supposed to be able to handle IGMP snooping correctly, but I suspect you have enough available ports to keep traffic separated.  

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 years ago

@Jimbo87 

No issues with internet connected devices? only Uverse IPTV receivers?

The grounding block would be to remove FV (foreign voltage) that often exists with flat screen tvs... no grounding on the tv (2 prong plug instead of 3 prongs with grounding) due to plastic chassis instead of metal chassis. The voltage from the tv (50v to 100v) travels down the HDMI cable to the DVR then down the ethernet cable to the gateway causing excessive errors which result in the gateway rebooting. 

As you have direct fiber with ONT (010 for white) I suspect issue is with the ONT either faulty light level or software issue. For FTTN accounts the last effort is a port swap, moving connection to another port or card. As FTTP is passive, instead of port swap would be an ONT swap.

Requires another tech appointment to check both light level and swap the ONT, there was a bad batch of ONTs made 1st quarter of 2020 around the start of Covid, wondering if you may have one of those. 

Regardless I would recommend calling and scheduling a tech appointment for intermittent service, on arrival ask the tech to swap the ONT... takes around 15 minutes... who knows the tech may remove both the ONT and gateway providing you with the 320 gateway if both are co located together instead of separate rooms. 

The standard grounding block use is a tii-442C (coax connection) 

442C Grounding Module for AC and Coax with AC Outlet and Coax Cable  Grounding - Tii Technologies

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

3 years ago

The unmanaged switch they installed is supposed to be able to handle IGMP snooping correctly

No, it will not do IGMP snooping at all.  However, it will pass IGMPv3 requests and multicast traffic without interference.  Unless the switch is faulty, it is not the problem here.

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

I have the same issues and frustrations as everyone on this topic.  I've done all the troubleshooting many times.  I just received and replaced the gateway/modem and that did not fix the issue.  I had same issue 2-3 years ago and gateway/modem replacement did the trick.  I have 24 port switch connected to devices throughout the house.  It sounds like the AT&T equipment can also be used for home wifi, but I have Cisco / Meraki PoE switch and Access Points.  My 3 stb's are connected directly to the gateway/modem.  My home set up is complex (audio/video switchers, Control 4 automation for TVs, Apple TVs, etc) but the lost Uverse signal is not related to the miles of Cat5/6 cable I have running.  

So...is there a setting in the modem that can be changed to correct this problem possibly?   Thanks.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

3 years ago

Does this happen to all stb’s or just one? Have you tried rebooting the stb’s? Unplug all of them. Plug the dvr in. Let it fully restart. Plug in the next stb, let it fully reboot. Then the last one. If still having drops, unplug the two stb’s and operate the dvr only. If no drops with it alone, plug in one stb. Does it drop signals? Plug in the last one. What happens? Did You get drops with the dvr only? Best bet may be call for a tech visit if the drops continue. 

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

browndk26 it happens on all stb's.  I've rebooted / unplugged every one.  AT&T has pushed 'updates' to each one.  I'll run through your suggestion and see what happens.  I did have a chat call with AT&T support - that person thought replacing the DVR box would fix everything.  He's sending a new one - so we'll see.

Even with my complex set up - I plugged hdmi directly to a spare TV (bypassing all the switchers, converters, etc) and freezing issue still occurred.  It has to be something between the modem and stb's - right?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

3 years ago

Most likely it’s the dvr. Just so you know, replacing the dvr will result in losing all recordings. Post back what happens when you replace the dvr. It wouldn’t hurt to unplug all the stb’s. Then restart the gateway. Then plug the dvr only back in. Just to see what happens. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

3 years ago

@MBOKC , please confirm that you change channels and everything is fine, but about 10 seconds later you lose the channel.  You change again, and again, everything is fine, but then again, 10 second later, you lose the channel.

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

@JefferMC if I change the channel the new channel is fine and if I 'recall' immediately back to the original channel - it is also fine.  It's as if the channel change resets the timer before it freezes again.  I do not have a re-freeze after 10 seconds.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.