Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit uverse.com for all your U-Verse TV support needs.
madmax988's profile

Scholar

• 

602 Messages

Monday, April 18th, 2022 4:16 AM

U-Verse DVR series scheduled recordings are not functioning

Something is wrong with the way series scheduled recordings are working.  Today is 4/18/2022 and my scheduled recordings are only going through 4/20/2022.  The guide is pulling listings properly, since if I go to guide I can see listings until 8:00pm 4/30/22 and it shows just a few second ago having updated listings.  

If I set a recording manually for 4/29/2022 it also appears as normal.  I can see accurate listings for new episodes for series set to only new episodes and old and new episodes for series for series set to tape all episodes, in the normal listings over the next week.  So clearly the 2 systems aren't talking to each other correctly.  It also appears the same for recorded and scheduled without future series recordings past 4/20 in the uverse app on android phone.  So DVR is still feeding data back to server and is up to date.  

I tried rebooting gateway & DVR & set top boxes and that didn't do anything to fix it.  

Without series recordings my uverse tv is going to be a pain to schedule everything manually and then if it suddenly starts working again it'll be stuck with weird double recordings and conflicts.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this?

P.S.

I forgot to mention it also has another odd problem that started at the same time, where it shows a series recording set to tape later today at a random time that the show doesn't air at, the picture is a show I have programmed as a series recording, but the title and description are what is actually on that channel at that time.

Scholar

• 

602 Messages

1 year ago

@MikeInSC270 you misunderstand by known issue we mean that it's an issue that exists for years and is known by people it's affected.  Buried deep in att internal systems the bug is reported the solution on the otherhand is so proprietary that at&t refuses to write down the solution even in their own internal systems (Edited per community guidelines).

Have you contacted corporate /executive office of the president support?  I was trying to find the link for you in my old email notes but I couldn't find it.  They may or may not have eliminated it.  In the past there was a form you could fill out buried deep in at&t website.  They get back to either never or in a few weeks. But once I got someone it was a game changer.   I would provide his email and cell # but they have told me that's not allowed on the forums.  

If you can't find the form the other attempt is to write your letter by snail mail(I've never tried it) or to randomly email it to members of the executive teams emails you find by googling.  Which I believe are checked by the same team anyways not the actual executives and board members(although not very often). 

(edited)

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

I'm also in Indiana, just noticed the issue last night, on 4/24  I had no recordings scheduled past 4/25. Found this thread today and read through the drama from a year ago. Then unsurprisingly saw new posts from April 2023 of others having the same issue, looks like South Carolina and Indiana, so not exactly a single region, one would think. The timing seemed to be almost exactly a year later so I wondered if it's something specific happening to the AT&T systems in April but digging into some of the older threads linked this doesn't seem to have always been the case.

I had a secondary glitch I noticed a couple times, similar to what someone mentioned last year. It was an incorrect show being scheduled to record. Specifically, I have South Park set as a series recording, to record only new episodes on Comedy Central. Sometimes (rarely) reruns of South Park will get recorded if there is no program info or original airdate as the DVR doesn't know they aren't new episodes.  Last week there were two episodes of Seinfeld recorded from Comedy Central but they were under the South Park series heading. I wondered if somehow there was a time zone glitch, like South Park had reruns airing at 9 PM Eastern but the DVR instead recorded at 9 PM Pacific, when Comedy Central was airing Seinfeld. But I failed to check the actual tv listings and find out if there were South Park episodes that it was seemingly mistaking for the Seinfeld time slot. 

Scholar

• 

602 Messages

1 year ago

@jeff6286 the incorrect shows being recorded in the incorrect folder is part of the same problem.   Since it's essentially setting series recordings but never checking to update them.  If an epsilon of a show is set to record at a specific time/date and then the guide updates a fee days later the series recording never checks to update itself.  It's funny you mention south park, because if you've ever look far into scheduled recordings south park always has extra showings set like 2 weeks into the future because comedy central will list them without episode info and without new/rerun info so it sets them to record until a few days before they air when comedy central updates the episode info to watch they actually plan on airing in that rerun time slot.  

Affecting 2 regions is even more annoying but not unheard of the initial report from 4-5 years ago end up affecting 2-3 regions across the Midwest.

It also wouldn't surprise me that it happens at the same time each year since the bug seems to be related to a clock/synchronization type issue.  Something causes the system to stop automatically updating/checking for updates for series recordings.   I suspected daylight savings as a culprit but the timings didn't quite line up, but now I realize it could be that it's set to an incorrect old year when daylight savings happened on a different day and it might make sense  that wouldn't match the rest of the system and would cause issues.

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

I had the same theory about DST but from a list I found we've been springing forward in early March since 2007, 2006 and earlier it was the first week of April. Could U-Verse boxes still be running off of software written before 2007 and incorrect DST dates are in fact contributing to this glitch. Who knows? 

And thanks for the logic on Seinfeld/South Park. This makes sense now that I think about it, a time slot that was pegged for South Park by Comedy Central 13 days out was later changed to Seinfeld and the DVR didn't continue to check back against the listings so it recorded the slot anyway. Totally logical now in light of the illogical DVR behavior causing the main issue here!

Scholar

• 

602 Messages

1 year ago

@jeff6286 the system runs on ancient software that hasn't been updated since at the latest 2014 so it's very possible. (The operating system on these stb is even older having not been updated since circa 2004-2005).  I'd assume the control servers run a compatible and similar aged software on the other end. Also my guess of a possible cause would be a server in the system gets reset to a default setting with the original default clock /date.  

Also realize when you the customer first usually notice the problem it actually occurred 5-14 days earlier because for most shows the guide data is correct 14 days out.  And it isn't until things don't record or record at incorrect times that you notice the issue. Which makes pegging down the day it occurred trickier.

• 

6 Messages

1 year ago

I have never had this problem before with my shows not showing up to be recorded.  As I stated before, I was able to get them to show up by going into the series settings and changing something and then changing it back to what I originally had, for example "first run" changed to "first run & rerun" and then back to "first run".  That apparently only worked for what was showing up on the guide in the 12 days or so in the future at the time I made the changes .  I was told last week to call back this week if the future recordings weren't showing up.  I was so frustrated trying to understand someone with such a heavy accent and trying to get him to understand what my problem was.  At this point, I'm not going to call back unless I can figure out a way to talk to someone who can understand what this issue is!

Scholar

• 

602 Messages

1 year ago

@PB88Ind Calling standard off shore customer support is useless normally and completely pointless with a more complex issue like this.  only options are to call and demand on-shore domestic support, which will allow you to speak with tier 1.5 person but still will not be able to solve this issue, expect to wait anywhere from a few minutes to multiple hours. option 2 call customer retention and ask for one of the advanced tech support teams and hope they happen to be able to solve it, again unlikely, but they might eventually pass the info to the correct team.  Option 3 is the best option attempt to contact corporate/executive customer support expect a few weeks wait/or no response at all, but will get someone who has the ability to actually eventually contact the correct team to solve issue.   

• 

43 Messages

1 year ago

Everyone, I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I was one of the victims a year ago and it was so endlessly frustrating. Follow advice from @madmax988 . 

He was this reason this eventually got solved last year. I also got responses by tweeting at @ATTHelp.

Quicker response times and no language barriers but ultimately I don’t think they got past “looking into it.” Someone will probably have to contact corporate to get it fixed. Or ditch Uverse. 

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

Birmingham, AL area here, and I've been having this exact issue for the last couple of weeks too. I've used the schedule entry touch workaround, but this is incredibly frustrating and unacceptable considering how much I'm paying for this service. I'll try reaching out to support on Twitter, but I'm not going to hold my breath for anything meaningful will happen.

I get that U-verse TV is not a priority for AT&T anymore, but they should either commit to supporting paying customers 100% until the end, or just pull the plug already.

• 

14 Messages

1 year ago

@meraj Thank you. Could not hurt for you to go at this on Twitter also. I have, but based on the interactions I have had there, I'm not convinced they understand the problem as we see it. So far they want to check the status of "my equipment", no matter how I try to explain that based on past history of others the issue is caused elsewhere.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.