Switching from U-Verse to AT&T TV
Hoping to get some help on the process of upgrading from U-Verse to AT&T TV/Internet.
Currently, we have AT&T U-Verse and Internet. We've been having some issues the past month or so, where the modem randomly dies, and blinks a flashing red light. This cuts out our cable, and internet for a few hours until it decides to come back on. We called a repair technician, and he said they can't really do anything with the device as it's too old. We'd need to upgrade our equipment, and that the best course would be to move to AT&T TV/Internet. Our modem is pushing 15 years at this point (still uses coaxial!), so this is all totally understandable and reasonable IMO. In fact, I've been wanting to upgrade our equipment for awhile, so I'm happy to do this.
The issue I'm running into... I'm having trouble figuring out how to move my service from U-Verse to AT&T TV. I've tried to approach this from a few angles...
- Shop AT&T TV bundles, add to cart, go through purchase process
- What I'm worried about... It looks like this would simply add a subscription to AT&T TV to my existing package. I don't want this, as I'd be paying the monthly costs of both U-Verse and AT&T TV, and there's no guarantee of a technician coming out to upgrade the modem.
- Go to account page, click "Manage my Internet" and upgrade from Internet 18 to Internet 50
- If I do this, the webpage "reassures me" that I won't have to replace any equipment in the process. I absolutely want to replace the equipment, as it's too old.
- AT&T TV is really just an app on a streaming box, so one option might be to cancel my AT&T U-Verse, and just find a way to get the modem upgraded. I can add on AT&T TV once the internet is fixed.
- What I'm worried about here is... As I understand it U-Verse bundles TV and internet, so if I cancel U-Verse, I may lose internet for some days.
So essentially long story short of what I'm trying to accomplish...
- I want to replace/upgrade my existing modem.
- I want to move from U-Verse to AT&T TV/Internet.
- I want minimal downtime in my internet during the switch.
- I don't want to pay for both AT&T TV and U-Verse monthly subscriptions.
I'm getting more and more worried I may have to sit on the phone talking to support over this.... which I really don't want to do. It would be absolutely fantastic if there was some magic "switch services" button.