OBT.1970's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, December 15th, 2014 3:25 PM

Slow response from 1225 DVR to remote

Recently the 1225 DVR is slow to respond to inputs from my black remote. There is an immediate response by the green LED surrounding the power switch, but the box doesn't respond for ages (up to 5 seconds). Is the box on its way out? I hope not. It would be the third replacement in the four years we've had the service. Same LED TV the whole time. I have no intention of trying to deal with script driven off shore customer service people. If the box has issues, and replacement will fix it, then that's good. But if it won't, please give me a heads up.

Former Employee

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

Try new batteries in remote or another uverse remote if you can. If that doesn't work press power button on DVR for 10 seconds to reboot. Still not fixed call 1 800 288 2020. If you get a rep offshore then you can ask to be transfered to an agent in the USA. They have a special number to transfer the call to US reps and are required to do so if asked.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi OBT.1970,

I'm sorry your DVR is responding slow to the remote commands. I recommend trying the suggestions J_M provided. You can also reboot your DVR by unplugging from the power source for 15 seconds and plugging back in. Also, try using the remote closer to the DVR for testing purpose to check if any other device is interfering with your IR signal. If you continue to have issues with the DVR please send me your account number along with some contact details to ATTU-verseCare to help you isolate the problem and order any equipment if necessary.

Regards,

SadathCS

ATTU-verseCare

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Since there is the potential for IR problems and the potential for a sluggush response from the DVR, it can be difficult to say which it is.

From my perspective, I believe the OP reported the symptoms that rule out an IR problem.

The green light blinks, indicating acceptance of a valid IR code.

The expected result eventually happens, indicating no corruption of the IR signal.

Just slow processing.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@OBT.1970 wrote:
Recently the 1225 DVR is slow to respond to inputs from my black remote. There is an immediate response by the green LED surrounding the power switch, but the box doesn't respond for ages (up to 5 seconds). Is the box on its way out? I hope not. It would be the third replacement in the four years we've had the service. Same LED TV the whole time. I have no intention of trying to deal with script driven off shore customer service people. If the box has issues, and replacement will fix it, then that's good. But if it won't, please give me a heads up.

That's just the response from a unit designed w/o enough memory to handle the demands of current Uverse use.  They were fine when there was only 1 or 2 HD use and no apps, etc.  You get over 90% memory use and things turn sludgy, slow.

5 sec?  Try 10 or more seconds to respond when it's recording.  The 1216 and 1225 are totally outmoded and should be replaced since they need a reboot every week to bring the memory use back down and get things moving again. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@J_M wrote:

Try new batteries in remote or another uverse remote if you can. If that doesn't work press power button on DVR for 10 seconds to reboot. Still not fixed call 1 800 288 2020. If you get a rep offshore then you can ask to be transfered to an agent in the USA. They have a special number to transfer the call to US reps and are required to do so if asked.

Has nothing to do w/batteries, the 1225 just takes too long to respond when memory use is above 90%, especially if recording.

I've never had any problems from any off shore rep as I usually call late at night or weekends.  They are as knowledgeable (maybe more) than US reps and more than willing to accept I've already done the rebooting necessary for diagnosis. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

9 years ago

I agree with Chris.  Plus....we've discovered that on those occasions when my better half has two or more programs recording at the same time....the DVR response does slow down.....often to a drag. 

My favorite solution is to unplug the DVR (obviously on an occasion when you are not using it) and after about 15 or 20 seconds re-insert the power blug.  It is my opinion that the power off reboot is most effective.  We've discovered that this often speeds up response considerably.  In fact this procedure has worked for us with the other non-DVR STB's and improved response times.

I know folks get tired of hearing this particular solution suggested over and over.  But I figure that these STB's are, after all, no more than small computers and some of these solutions work on PC's also.

We have that same 1225 unit also and this is how we deal with it.

We know the remote batteries are getting weak when we find ourselves having to be very careful that the remote is pointed straight at the box to get any reponse at all.  The wife has a habit of just aiming in the general direction and when things don't work....you know who hears about it....don't you?

Phil

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I don't know what made the biggest difference, but response time for the
remote commands has been noticeably reduced. First I did a power off/on
reboot, then got rid of stored recordings that brought available space up
to 40%. We'll see how it lasts. The reboot may have been the answer.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Well, I did a power off/power on (shut off the power strip), and brought my recorded show level down to below 70%, and things are much better.  I don't know which action did the trick, but thanks for all the ideas.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I have had U-verse TV for one month now and am experiencing the same issue. You can put the remote directly against the receiver 1225 and sometimes it works but most times not very well. AT&T spent several hours at my house trying to diagnose before they would replace the  receiver. The new receiver had the same problem as the old one so the tech suggested moving the receiver away from the TV which is sitting on a aluminum wall mounted shelf. We moved the receiver about 6 feet away to a wooden table and the problem still exists. The tech seems to think that something else in the room is causing IR interference. I am going to try the vinyl electrical tape that was suggested on this forum. I will report my results as soon as I can get the tape. Wish me luck ......

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

My assumption is that you have tried more than one remote. If you have, then the issue is with the box.  My experience is that they are not very dependable.  Two in a row that are bad...very possible.  If you are only using one remote, it's the remote that's at issue.  Does the green halo on the main switch cycle on and off when buttons are pushed on the remote? If so, the box is getting a signal, but doesn't know what to do with it. I can't imagine what sort of interference would be effecting the performance.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.