For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
ninamagic's profile

Tutor

 • 

13 Messages

Saturday, May 9th, 2015 8:00 AM

DVR deleted about 10 shows last night, and another 10 tonight

We had 35 shows recorded when we came back from a short vacation. We watched one and deleted it. The next night there were only 22 shows left. Plenty of space on the DVR - it was about 1/3 full. Then the next night, tonight, when we turned it on, there were only 9 shows left. Each night for two nights in a row, after we go to sleep, it has deleted over 10 shows by itself for no reason. It seems to me that whenever it records a new show now, it deletes about 10 existing ones. This just started on Weds night, May 6. Has anyone else had this happen? Otherwise it's acting fine. It records fine - it just deletes bunch of other things. At this point that we are considering Comcast! It's infuriating to record some single broadcast shows and then find out it's all gone. Argh.

Tutor

 • 

13 Messages

9 years ago

And we did reboot the DVR.

New Member

 • 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

Check your settings for the recorded shows.  You have options such as keep one show, keep until I delete, keep until space needed, etc.

Tutor

 • 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, we know that. We've had this DVR for a few years. This isn't an issue of us not knowing how to use it. Something is wrong with it. We have 75% or so of space left, and it's still deleting things willy nilly. Even shows that were recorded a few days ago. Even shows that are marked to never delete. It never did anything like this until 3 days ago, and it seems to have nothing to do with how much is on it. I mean, it deleted from 22 shows down to 9, and we have room for something like 100 recorded shows.

Expert

 • 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago


@ninamagic wrote:

Yes, we know that. We've had this DVR for a few years. This isn't an issue of us not knowing how to use it. Something is wrong with it. We have 75% or so of space left, and it's still deleting things willy nilly. Even shows that were recorded a few days ago. Even shows that are marked to never delete. It never did anything like this until 3 days ago, and it seems to have nothing to do with how much is on it. I mean, it deleted from 22 shows down to 9, and we have room for something like 100 recorded shows.


It's a bug or corrupted software causing this in certain situations.

 

If the DVR functions are still not working, try a Non-Destructive Disaster Recovery.

Unplug the power cord of the DVR from the wall or from the back of the box and wait ten seconds. Plug the DVR back in.

When three white dots appear on the screen, unplug the DVR again. Repeat this process two more times.

Plug the DVR back in on the third time and leave in. Three white dots appear followed by a gear with a status bar at the bottom of the screen.

If the Disaster Recovery screen does not appear, repeat the steps above. If the Disaster Recovery screen appears, wait until completion.

If the Non-Destructive Disaster Recovery does not work, follow the steps for a Force Disaster Recovery

Re-downloads all the software.  Will not erase recordings, takes a bit of time or so. Good luck 😉

 

Chris
__________________________________________________________

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

 • 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Inever get 3 dots. The sequence of screens after reinserting the power cable is:

 

1. Rethink Possible

2. AT&T Uverse

3. Starting. Please wait.

4. Select OK to view recordings.

Expert

 • 

23.3K Messages

9 years ago

I haven't seen anyone post this issue in quite awhile. In the past that was an early sign of DVR failure. When it happened to me I unplugged the RG ac cable for 30 seconds. After it rebooted I did the same thing with the STBs. This caused the software to be redownloaded into the devices replacing existing software that may have gotten corrupted.

Expert

 • 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago


@RCSMG wrote:
I haven't seen anyone post this issue in quite awhile. In the past that was an early sign of DVR failure. When it happened to me I unplugged the RG ac cable for 30 seconds. After it rebooted I did the same thing with the STBs. This caused the software to be redownloaded into the devices replacing existing software that may have gotten corrupted.

Regular reboots do not re-download software, just Guide data and does maintenance checking other things out. 

 

Only either one of the disaster recoveries re-download software, the Force Disaster Recovery actually reformats the disk, that's how recordings are deleted when this is done. 😉

 

Chris
__________________________________________________________

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Expert

 • 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago


@ninamagic wrote:

Inever get 3 dots. The sequence of screens after reinserting the power cable is:

 

1. Rethink Possible

2. AT&T Uverse

3. Starting. Please wait.

4. Select OK to view recordings.


If the black Rethink Possible screen comes on immediately after pluging in the power, the DVR is bad. 

 

3 grey dots (might even go black for a second and 3 dots appear again) should pop up first then a black screen for 10-20 seconds, then the black Rethink Possible screen.  That's the way my 1216, 1225 and 2250 have all worked on a regular reboot, that also would occur after the N-D Disaster Recovery.  Smiley Surprised

 

Chris
__________________________________________________________

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

 • 

13 Messages

9 years ago

The 3 dots never show up. First I get a black screen for 20 secs or so, then the Rethink Possible screen. So, bad DVR hardware? Or just bad software?

Expert

 • 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago


@ninamagic wrote:

The 3 dots never show up. First I get a black screen for 20 secs or so, then the Rethink Possible screen. So, bad DVR hardware? Or just bad software?


Bad DVR as the dots are from the bootstrap from the RAM memory, so that's corrupted and could only be fixed if they flashed the memory, only from a repair shop or factory.  If it's a VIP1216 or 1225, they are junking them when returned. 😉

 

Chris
__________________________________________________________

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.