initial515's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, May 1st, 2014 1:41 AM

Disable Press Ok To Watch

Hello,

I am new to the att u-verse, and i am curious is here a way to disable this menu, i find it whoever decide that menu should get seriously fired. Why would i power on my tv just to be ask if i wanna watch tv? like how does that make any sense there not even a logic behind it.

People tell me to just switch to TV and when im done watching to just turn the tv off leaving the box on, which i have done but my box automatically turns off after some point in the day. Now it not the fact that it just 1 menu, i watch the same channel everyday and the probability of me changing to a different channel is close to .01%

The provider which i had before is TWC is was pretty much turn on and done, i switch to ATT cause it was cheaper. I mean unless ATT is trying to tell us "well you get what you pay for". My grandpa is like 89 years old and for 40 years with twc all he had to do is push power and bam he on his channel. Switching to ATT is constantly nag me about what the stupid menu "Press Ok to watch tv". He even says there is no logic behind having a screen that ask to watch tv when obviously i hit power on the remote to watch tv.

He old and has no idea what he doing 99% of the time, He just wanna watch tv, everytime that menu comes up he think the tv down or something and doesnt even bother watching which is a waste of money.

People pay for the service to use the service. 

So i am suggesting 3 option which i know ATT doesn't probably give a rats butt about us.

1: Allow us to leave the box on 24/7

2: Get Rid of the "Press Ok to watch TV" 

or 

3: Leave the stupid screensaver up but have it automatically closed after 3 sec

I wanna know if the CEO of ATT ever wonder why he or she is told to watch tv press ok, when technically speaking if someone picks up a remote especially the remote for the cable box to turn it on they obvously wanna watch tv. It would make more sense if the tv was turned on by the TV remote not by the u-verse box and it was asked that.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

initial515 - No, there is no way to prevent the screen saver. Sounds like you are having the most trouble with it when power up. How would you like to try something that has not been suggested before?

When you press the power button, the remote sends a power toggle IR first for the STB, then for the TV. You will see the screensaver if the STB was previously on & you just turned it off or the STB did not see the IR to turn it on.

I wonder if it would work better for you if it turned on the TV first. If you would like to try it, program the remote as follows -
Press ATT/OK buttons simultaneously for a second then 977 -TV - ATT- Enter (bottom right).

Please let me know if that turns on the STB more reliably.

The other two reasons the screen saver comes on are if a menu is left up or there is no input in about eight hours. These should only require an OK activation infrequently.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

5 years ago

@JStuewe wrote:

I'd also like a way round this screen.  I can turn my TV on and off and change the uverse channel with my smart TV using Alexa.... but there is no way for me to bypass this Uverse "press OK" screen so the whole Alexa functionality is useless.

My HDMI connected Amp turns on when the TV turns on but the HDMI connected Uverse box just sits there waiting for me to find the right remote and press 'OK'. Very frustrating.

Sending the code to "turn on" the box should work, i.e. treat it like it was a cable box that had to be turned on to generate a picture and the "press OK" as a black screen.

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

9 years ago

It's been nearly a year since this thread was solved.  After all this time, it appears as though the problem persists.  We are constantly required to acknowledge this floating bubble popup by pressing the OK button.  It is so seriously annoying that a certain near earth orbit alternative will be getting a good look.  March 2015.

-weq

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@weq92f wrote:

It's been nearly a year since this thread was solved.  After all this time, it appears as though the problem persists.  We are constantly required to acknowledge this floating bubble popup by pressing the OK button.  It is so seriously annoying that a certain near earth orbit alternative will be getting a good look.  March 2015.

-weq

Can't do anything about it as that's what gets ATT the Energy Star for it's equipment. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @weq92f - help me understand.  When are you seeing this "Press Okay" menu?  When 1) you turn your TV on? 2) after a DVR program finishes playing or 3) after your U-Verse box has been on for 8 hours with no user input?  Please advise.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I can't speak for anyone else, but this thread is hardly "solved"! Not only do I often get the "Press OK" when turning on my reciever, or have my TV viewing interrupted (much more often than every 4 or 6 hours!), but I also get it when I turn the thing of!!! Seriously, this has been an issue with customers since AT&T got into the cable business, so why has nothing been done about it? I like this better than satellite TV, and it's cheaper than cable in my area, but I'm seriously considering just cutting my losses and going elsewhere. Has no-one at U-verse ever binge watched a TV series or had the TV on as they do housework? This really is a serious customer satisfaction issue that must be addressed!  

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

It is very irritating when you have a problem. But, the Press OK screen is a symptom, not the disease.

The Press OK steps are necessary for two things -

1) The power toggle of both the STB and the TV and more can get out of synch(one off & the other or others on). The Press OK method is an effective way to restore synch.

2) If menus are left up too long you may get the image burned into your TV screen. The press OK has movement as a screen saver to prevent this.

I agree it should not come on after a period of inactivity. There should be an option for some people to option out. It is easily prevented by pressing any button - why not OK every once in a while?

The primary cause of generating the screen is the primary reason it is there. Find the way to hold the remote & holld it long enough to toggle the power on both the STB & the TV. After you have found a spot that works, it will become automatic.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, I would love to have the "opt out" option for the screen saver.  I like to have the TV on for a noise buffer for my dog to prevent her from barking.  Having it time out doesn't solve my problem. I will be going back to my other provider if this doesn't get resolved soon.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

This is especially frustrating when you can't find your Uverse remote.  Don't know how to get past the screen with my TV remote.  I was able to use it before they added the screen of death.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@leanna66 - There is an OK button in the middle of the arrow circle on the STB itself that can be pressed to allow you to view. Or, push the power  button on the STB.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.