Pre-order the new Google Pixel 7, Google Pixel 7 Pro and new Google Pixel Watch - Online Now!
Valleyjoe's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thu, Feb 12, 2015 3:13 PM

AT&T uverse / Samsung HDMI no audio

Hello,

I'm racking my brain over this.  I have a Samsung HW-C560S / XAA audio receiver.  When I hook up my uverse box to my hdmi 1 port to my receiver I get video but no audio.  It seems like the audio signal is not being coded correctly.  I figure this because when i reboot the uverse and when it comes back on the audio and video work together for a second and then the audio goes away.  I have rebooted the uverse box, the receiver, the att modem and tv.  I've tried different cables and same issue, not audio just video.  I have tried different ports and same issue.  I have hooked up the hdmi directly from the uverse to the tv and i get audio and video.  Also I have my ps4 and apple tv connected to other hdmi ports on the receiver and they work fine, audio and video.

I called tech support but when you hook up the uverse directly to the tv and it works as it should then, they pretty much can was theirs hands from it and direct me to samsung.  But I honestly think there is a issues with the hdmi audio not coding to work on the samsung receiver.

Side note.  I connected a optical audio cable from my uverse to my receiver and the audio works but no picture.  Go figure!  Can anyone help me figure this out? 

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

Il y a 8 y

Is this behavior the same for both u-verse settings - Stereo & surround?

Menu - options - audio/lang options - digital audio output

It should work on stereo. Not sure exactly what the U-verse surround is but, I believe it does not match the options shown on page 45 of the Samsung model.

The optical connection is audio only. To add video use component cable.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Il y a 8 y

Thank for replying aviewer,

Yes it's the same for both.  It set to stereo and then I change to surround sound and still same result.  

I continued to look online and I got into some reading about the audio and pcm output.  Not sure what that is but still researching...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Il y a 8 y

Hi ValleyJoe,

I was just curious if you discovered a resolution on this issue yet?  I see that you are experiencing what sounds like exactly what I am now dealing with.  Was installed earlier today, tech left and when I went to watch tv, there is a great picture, no sound.  If I go and adjust settings the sound will come on after a restart but only for a quick second and then it's off again. I am using HDMI through a Samsung receiver as well.

Everything else plugged into the receiver is working fine.

Thanks in advance...

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Il y a 8 y

Jpressly,

I did get it to work.... what I did was connect the att to my tv with HDMI and then run a optical audio from my att to the samsung reciever (chang audio setting to opt 1) and I'm able to hear sound with my surround sound.  My hdmi 1 is connected to my att box with the optical out to the receiver , and my hdmi 2 is connected to my receiver and my ps4 and apple tv is connected to it. Now all i have to do is switch source on my tv to hdmi 1 or hdmi 2 to whatever i want to do. 

Hope this help.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Il y a 8 y

Thank you for the quick reply.  I will be heading out to purchase an optical cable shortly then and give it a try.  Seems like they left this one as a "reach around your elbow to scratch your backside" way of doing it but shoot if it works I'm game.  Just odd that you can hear the sound for just that brief second.  Ah, so close, yet so far.  Really appreciate the reply!  

Best regards,

jpressly

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Il y a 7 y

For the S-20 remote, follow these steps:
Press and hold the MENU key then press and hold the OK key.
Release both keys and your remote will flash twice to indicate programming mode.
Enter programming code 981 by pressing the number keys on the remote control. The POWER key will flash four times indicating the code was successfully entered and the remote has been reset to the default settings.

I had a problem with my Samsung tv when programming the remote to the tv no sound..after hour of searching the internet finally found this.. The u verse volume was on 0 so no sound after turning up then reprogramming the remote there was sound..

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Il y a 7 y

Att told me it would cost $99 for tech to come out ...Thank you so much this worked!!!

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

Il y a 7 y

Set the uverse receiver to stereo and it should work.  I had the same problem and once I set the uverse box to stereo the problem went away.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Il y a 7 y

Thank you for offering your help.  I changed the setting on the att menue to stereo and then surround sound and both have no sounds going through the hdmi connection.  I still only get sound using the optical cable connected to the att box to my samsung reciever.  Thanks again.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Il y a 6 y

I habe had two customers with this issue. Both have had bad audio. Both had claimed the audio was on max or 25. What other reason might it be? Is it the stereo vs dolby thing? Why is ATT only cable box with variable audio out on hdmi? Makes no sense. Sinply put, hdmi to any reciever shouls be pure digital sound and picture. Anyone find a solid solution for yamaha? Smart tv, dvd, gaming all sound great. Just ATT sounds like crap.

Thanks
B
aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

Il y a 6 y

@brandonwal79 - It is the same as the quality of the video - each step in the process offers an opportunnity for failure. Also, it is in the ear or eye of the listener/viewer.

For me, the ability of the system to provide a superb quality in some cases means it is not the syatem that is inadequate. There is a failurre somewhere along the line for cases that are not up to par.

Of course, digital helps to keep a signal pristine & most failure is on the analog side.

On the video side, I generally see "best" pictures on hand held cameras used for remote news segments & Ads.

On the audio side, 10 to 20 years ago, the Panasonic TVs had awsome sound & the HT products were weak. So, I could not tell the difference via AB comparison.

Now, the positions are reversed. The HT products have improved & the TVs have deteriorated due to trying to make the frames disappear. Or, maybe,sell more HT products.

So, my first suggestion was going to be the TV for poor sound, in general & specifically for no sound - based on the majority of TVs not having digital surround sound decoder.

It does sound like your complaint includes an HT that has a digital surround sound decoder. Is it the right one to decode the STB?

Sounds like you have also covered low volume from the STB & verified that it is set for max output. It also has a MUTE feature that can be activated by a corrupted/rogue IR signal. If you have no volume, check the STB for MUTE.

Also, check the language in the STB to be english.

Also, adding devices adds opportunities for failure. Start with the simplest, analog, stereo connection to an audio device that  sounds good to you & add devices & complexity one at a time to see where it fails.

I remember when u-verse was first introduced, it looked like the picture was weak. But, when compared AB with OTA it was the same. Make sure that there really is something that can be identified & changed for the better.

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.