For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
adam2015's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Saturday, July 25th, 2015 12:48 PM

Wireless Receivers Losing Connection

I'm decently technical, which is why I'm asking a question here as opposed to calling ATT.

We have had Uverse TV and internet since early 2013, and love the service. I have one main wired reciever in our living room and two wireless recievers in other rooms of our house.

I've found the wireless receivers work decently well, but every few days while watching they will suddenly stop working. The green bars will disappear and a message will be displayed saying it has lost connection with the WAP. At that point, you can remedy the problem by resetting that wireless receiver. When it reboots it starts working agian just fine. Something seems to be causing the WAP/Wireless receiver connection to blink or get interrupted, but again a simple reboot from the receiver reestablishes the signal.

This is far from a major problem, but it's an annoyance. I have already had one of the wireless recievers replaced by ATT since it is only separated from the WAP by one interior wall (shows full bars), but the problem continues. I have gone through all the normal steps to ensure the recievers are joined to the WAP, and again they work perfectly most of the time. This issue just appears randomly every few days.

I've read old posts about similar user problems and have confirmed we have a Cisco WAP. I'm just not sure what to do next. This cannot be the norm.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Just wanted to say that the Att-Uverse totally sucks. I wish I would of never changed cable companies. It drops us all of the time, our Internet, TV. It freezes our picture whe we are watching a show, a movie on Demand, even when it's a recoded movie, it says, Lost Connection, it goes blank and then their Logo pops up. I've had the receiver replaced more that 3 times. It's always something with their piece of crap equipment, while I'm paying their high prices. I really do hope that Google Fiber does make it to Dallas, Tx so that I will be able to finally get rid of this no good for nothing piece of crab that they call Cable and Internet. If any new customers out there are planning to switch to AT&T, just read my comment and think twice about it. I'm just waiting to fulfill my contract on a certain date this year so that I can get rid of this crap. Now I feel a bit better. 😡😡😡

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

i added  a 2nd wireless receiver and coundnt get it to pair with wap.  tech support said it wasnt activiated on the specified day (13th) so she told me to try again on "new" activation date (17th beteen 1-4  pm)  . I again tried and nothing!  One question i do have is whether my wap provides wifi to my other wireless receiver?  when I press wps on wap to pair new dvr, the other wireless receiver doesn't lose its signal.    Could it be that my 1st Wireless receiver gets its signal directly from the gateway ??

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

The WAP provides signal to both receivers.

Dan

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I was having the same issue on and off. Finally last weekend was happening every 5-10 min. Couldnt watch anything with the constant interruptions. I called and a technician came in the next day. He replaced our modem. He said we were 3 or 4 versions behind. Funny how every time I called no one asked about that. Had the new modem for 1 day. Let's see if that solves the problem. There is always Comcast.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I moved mine about 4' and it works better. The reality is we all have a tv/media area where we have all of these items so do your best.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

We had constant connection problems so we dropped uverse. Overall, the TV package and programming was good but we were tired of paying for and dealing with the repeated connection issues. Good luck.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

My wireless receiver that has worked in my bedroom for over 2 years now, just started periodically freezing and losing connection. Now when I restart it, it won't connect at all and it tells me that U-verse is not available now. I have unplugged it and restarted to no avail. I moved it to a different location and it works fine. I don't understand why all of a sudden the location it has been in for 2 years suddenly won't work, and it is relatively close to the gateway. Nothing else has changed as far as anything physical that would block the signal like a new wall or anything.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Sorry if this has been answered already. Earlier "my thoughts" said:

...may need to consider hardwiring (Ethernet) the receiver to RG and get off wireless.

My dumb question: can I simply take the Cat5 that is running from the RG to the wireless access point (for the wireless TV) and plug it directly into my wireless TV receiver box? Or do I need to replace the receiver and the AP with a different piece of hardware (connected to the end of said Cat5 cable)? If the latter, how do I request the needed piece o' hardware from ATT?

The only reason we have this TV on wireless is because when our installer came out to do the deed, we did not yet have Cat5 running from  the RG to the site of the TV. Now that I *do* have a Cat5 in place, I would like to transition to a wired connection for this TV.

thanks...

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

If that were the case of any of these things happening, then why would it go off at a specific time each night?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

5 years ago

@RescueConnie wrote:

If that were the case of any of these things happening, then why would it go off at a specific time each night?

Sorry, I couldn't figure out what post you were replying to, so it's rather hard to answer your question.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.