adam2015's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Saturday, July 25th, 2015 12:48 PM

Wireless Receivers Losing Connection

I'm decently technical, which is why I'm asking a question here as opposed to calling ATT.

We have had Uverse TV and internet since early 2013, and love the service. I have one main wired reciever in our living room and two wireless recievers in other rooms of our house.

I've found the wireless receivers work decently well, but every few days while watching they will suddenly stop working. The green bars will disappear and a message will be displayed saying it has lost connection with the WAP. At that point, you can remedy the problem by resetting that wireless receiver. When it reboots it starts working agian just fine. Something seems to be causing the WAP/Wireless receiver connection to blink or get interrupted, but again a simple reboot from the receiver reestablishes the signal.

This is far from a major problem, but it's an annoyance. I have already had one of the wireless recievers replaced by ATT since it is only separated from the WAP by one interior wall (shows full bars), but the problem continues. I have gone through all the normal steps to ensure the recievers are joined to the WAP, and again they work perfectly most of the time. This issue just appears randomly every few days.

I've read old posts about similar user problems and have confirmed we have a Cisco WAP. I'm just not sure what to do next. This cannot be the norm.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have been dealing with this problem for months, if not close to a year. 5 technicians have been to my home. Every one promises what they've done will solve the problem, even the one that was here a few days ago. Nope. Woke up to no tv service again today. I had 15 minutes to watch a little news this morning. Now, I've spent 30 minutes just trying to connect the da*n service. I'm ready to move on from ATT&T.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Does it matter if the RG and/or WAP is at floor level, mid level, or higher in a room?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@sfultz - RE: Does it matter if the RG and/or WAP is at floor level, mid level, or higher in a room?

Maybe, maybe not. At these frequencies a small distance can make a big difference. At east get it as far away as possible from the RG.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

Ideally, the WAP or RG should be at about the same level as the devices connecting to it, though there's a fair amount of leeway.

More importantly, the WAP and RG should be at least 3 feet (preferably more) apart.  Separating them vertically is even better than horizontally (to keep each from getting in the line of sight for a client of the other).

They should also each be where there is good ventilation to keep them from overheating.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I've lost connection on my wireless TV receiver recently, after a few months with no problem, and am unable to get it back. I will try recabling with longer Ethernet cable to see if that helps.  But I do have perhaps a dumb question that could use clarification.

In the troubleshooting procedures on-line, it says

1. Press the WPS button on the WAP.
  2. Press the OK button on the front of the wireless TV receiver. 

On the TV instructions, it says press the WPS button for 10 seconds, then press the OK button.  What isn't clear is, do both buttons need to be pressed at the same time?  I.e., press and hold the WPS button for 10 seconds, then press the OK button WHILE HOLDING the WPS button in?  I could get this done with 2 people involved.  Just wondering if that's why I can't reconnect, because by the time I press the WPS button and get back to the OK button, perhaps it's out of pairing mode.  Thanks for an answer.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I recieved an replacement wireless receiver and it will not pair with the WAP...

unplugged and rebooted everything...    Tried the factory reset of the receiver and get the wonderful red X.

what is there left to do?    Find a new provider?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

If you haven't already, I would call them and see if they have any
additional troubleshooting ideas. If not, request a technician to come out
and fix the issue. I've had techs out to my house twice in the past year
and replaced the WAP once myself. The first time was b/c our receivers
kept losing connect and the tech relocated our WAP. The 2nd time was b/c
our entire system went down b/c of low signal at the box in the
neighborhood. It's all very frustrating and wastes your time and we have
never been offered any sort of credit on our account for the poor service.

Just make sure they aren't going to charge you for the tech visit.

Our services seem to be working good now, but if we have anymore issues,
we'll likely be finding another provider.

We have had AT&T wireless for years and it's been fantastic. UVERSE, not
so much.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I was told not to press at the wps and ok button at the same time as that was my question too. When my installer came a week or so ago he did tell me about keeping the smaller unit away from the bigger unit, yada, yada and all was fine for this short time. A few days ago.....No TV. I too did all the instructions on the screen and nothing. I sent the tech a text last evening but have not had a response. I will attempt moving the smaller one further from the larger and see if I can get a TV back or I am goin got have to call and I do not like calling ATT.....always frustrating.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.