Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wed, May 16, 2018 11:37 PM

Volume and Mute Button Doesn’t work

Recently, my volume and mute button stopped working on my S30-S1B remote. I was sent a new remote and receiver and I am still experiencing this problem. I can’t even control the volume from the actual TV remote either. Please keep in mind that all the other functions on the cable remote works perfectly except the volume and mute button.

Responses

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 years ago

I can’t even control the volume from the actual TV remote either

That tells me there's something wrong with your tv.  If the tv's own remote is not working to control the volume you shouldn't expect the att remote to do any better.

What about the mute button on the tv's remote?  Is it still working?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

No, the mute button isn’t working either. I assumed the volume option isn’t working on the TV remote because of the TV being programmed to the cable remote.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com
_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 years ago

The tv is not programmed to anything (well, maybe excluding over the air but that's off topic).  For uverse all the tv knows is it's getting its signal from its connection to the dvr or receiver (usually hdmi).  You program the uverse remote to control the tv's on/off and volume, or at least you should have.  Input select is a bonus function if you are lucky.  Mute, maybe too.

You said you tried the tv's own remote on the tv to control its volume and it wasn't working.  Taking that on face value I reasoned you have a problem with your tv since none of the uverse equipment or remote are involved.  It's between your tv's remote and your tv. 

If you didn't mean that and only meant the uverse remote is not controlling the volume then I have to ask, did it ever control the volume?  Did you program the uverse remote for your specific tv model?  The remote's programming instructions should be in the little manual that came with the remote.  If not you can download the appropriate pdf from here.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Yes, the uverse remote was working just fine until a couple of days ago. The volume button and mute button was working just fine as well. The remote is programmed for my TV model (sharp). All the features on the uverse remote works perfectly except the volume and mute. What would I have to do if I wanted to test the actual TV remote without the cable involved? I guess I may have to disconnect the cable box and just focus on the Sharp remote with regard to the volume option working and switching the channels. 

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com
_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 years ago

What would I have to do if I wanted to test the actual TV remote without the cable involved?

You don't have to do/change/disconnect anything.  Just use the tv's remote to see if you can set its volume or do the mute operation.  Both must be on the tv's remote too.  As I said at the beginning that's how I interpreted your statement "I can’t even control the volume from the actual TV remote either".

As for the att remote, when was the last time you changed its batteries?

And IMO a flaky remote is never worth spending the time on troubleshooting.  It it is flaky just call tech support for a (free) replacement.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Hello,

Yes, that's what I meant when I stated that the volume and mute option isn't working on the Sharp(TV) remote either.  I haven't replaced the batteries however, I was sent a new remote and receiver this week and I am still getting the error with regard to not being able to control the volume and mute the television with the new remote and receiver.

Also, I now see what you meant by the problem being with my television.  I tested out the TV in my son's room and I was able to control the volume to his television using the actual TV remote and the cable remote, whereas I am unable to do so on the Sharp TV. 

As far as disconnecting the cable receiver, I was thinking in terms of troubleshooting my television and possibly putting it back to it's factory state to see if the TV remote is controlling the volume accordingly.

sfortin7

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

2 years ago

@Purpleebee - contact sharp if you have to and perform a factory reset on the TV. Then with good batteries in the remote that comes with the TV, you had better be able to up the volume, mute, switch sources from HDMI input x to the built-in TV tuner (if you had an Antenna hooked up, you could probably pick up several local stations). Anyway - if you cannot get those things to work, then you need to do more sleuthing.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

2 years ago

What we're all trying to say here is this: When properly programmed, the U-verse remote generates IR flashes in a pattern that your TV understands.  It sends the same flashes that the TV remote does.  If the TV doesn't work for your TV remote, then there's no way to get the U-verse remote to perform those functions.  You need to find out why the TV is no longer working.  Could you have covered up its IR receiver?  Have you tried unplugging it for a minute and plugging it back in?

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Hello. Yes, I actually just unplugged my TV then plugged it back in. Both remotes are now working as far as adjusting the volume and mute button. I thank everyone for responding to my forum! 🙂

• 

1 Message

a month ago

I am having the same issue. At first we thought it was our TV but we switched the TV out and the new one is doing the same thing! 

Get started...

Ask a new question