Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Jul 16, 2017 9:32 PM

Closed

Uverse TV freezes and pauses constantly

Our uverse constantly freezes and pauses and looks digitally broken up. This is only on the living room tv. The bedroom tv doesn't do this. Internet works fine on wifi for cell phones, Xbox, pc and Netflix etc on all tvs which tells me it's the uverse receiver. We have reset it and the wifi a million times. The problem never goes away.

Responses

np1000

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

a year ago

I believe it's a system overload. I noticed it happens when most people come home from work, around 5 pm weekdays and in the mid morning weekends. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Trying to watch the World Series and is freezing periodically for several seconds and then skips what was missed during the freeze. No idea why we switched. We never had an issue with cable and now, we have internet slow downs (even though speed is supposed to be faster), and our TV freezes. ***** annoying and from what I’ve read here, there is no solution. 

[word filter avoidance]

• 

1 Message

4 months ago

just wanted to post a helpful topic to this very common thread.  Converting uverse service to run flawless television to your receivers and also to run improved internet services throughout your home wired and wireless is possible.

The key lies in asking AT&T to turn off the firewall capabilties of your AT&T home gateway modem/router.  While you cannot ditch the AT&T modem, you cn relaget it to function as a pass through nodem and implement a better class business firewall or high grade 3rd party firewall.

The AT&Tprovided modem/firewall options are not bad devices but they are not best in class.  For those of you wanting to implement a higher grade home network or to enjoy an improved class of firewall services this is the trick.

AT&T uverse is an all IPset top and television architecture.  Most high grade LAN switches support IGMP by default and will adequately transport ideo from your set tops to your firewall.  The key is not to overload your lan with unreasonable amounts of traffic (which is hard to do if your using GigE ports on your home switch).

The ke y to uverse success if the firewall.  The AT&T firewalls do IGMP (multi-cast proxy services) automatically. This is why when you connect your set tops directly to your AT&T firewall it works flawlessly.  3rd party firewalls usually always have a setting for multi-cast proxy that must be tured on.

Uverse starts the first channel selection as unicast traffic and then opens the Multi-cast stream via IGMP.  This is what causes the video to stall or freeze after about 10-15 seconds of what looks like perfect TV.

If you are experiencing this condition and pulling your hair out this is the key to restoring your flawless uverse experience.  Just remember to buy goof LAN switches that handle IGMP for video leaves and joins (channel changes and transitions), and be sure to turn on Multi-Cast Proxy services in your firewall.  Also be sure to get a firewall that supports this feature, which most do these days..

voila you get a better network, better firewall and your TV starts working perfectly again.

Hope this helps you guys get through the pain as Iexperienced many moons ago.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

I’m experiencing this constant freezing issue right now. Does replacing the box fix this issue? It’s happening on my living room and kids play room boxes but the upstairs bedroom box. Any ideas on how to resolve? 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

18K Messages

a month ago

@Andremcullins , if the box is faulty, that might fix the issue.  But it could be many other things.  Please state:

1) How many boxes you have, 

2) How each is connected (wireless, coax, Ethernet)

3) Which boxes have a problem,

4) Whether the problem happens on live (only), recordings (only) or both,

5) Do all boxes have an issue at the same time, or does it  vary,

6) What kind of Internet (fiber, etc.) and speed

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

1 Message

a month ago

We previously had Comcast where we had their service dept on speed dial as it required repair constantly. We were very happy to change to UVerse TV and internet a few years ago but for the last year we have had a UVerse repair tech here several times for  the constant repeated TV screen freezes that occur at least six times every morning from 5:00 to 7:00AM and internet drop throughout the day. With work from home due to COVID is now a norm, the service may be over subscribed in bandwidth utilization. Equipment has been replaced twice, twisted pair changes, new splicing from the street to the house and more. Our surrounding neighborhood communities have fiber. Pine Tree Estates on Military Trail in Boynton Beach, FL is limited due to cooper based services. Is there any way AT&T will provide fiber to this Boynton Beach, FL community? It would do wonders for improving our service and AT&T’s brand.

gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

a month ago

Please open new threads for your concerns.  Also remember technician dispatch cannot be done through this forum.  Call att at the 2020 number.  

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question