For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Jessme_1's profile

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

Saturday, November 27th, 2010 2:18 PM

Uverse Realtime

I have downloaded the realtime program. Looks pretty cool, but there is a problem. I haven't a clue as to what Im looking at. LOL. Could someone give me an idea as to what I should be looking at? Also, I couldn't figure out how to post a screen shot. So maybe we could start there so you can see what I see.

I dont have any problems or anything. Just wondering what all this info means.

Thanks,

P.S.. Not sure if this is the right area for this. If not, please move to the proper forum.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

The line capacity given in UVRT should match what the technician measures on his equipment.

3000 feet is the approximate service limit for a standard 2Wire router, actual service limit varies with the copper wiring in your neighborhood, gauge of the copper, age of the copper, etc.  The iNID router (i3812V gateway) extends the service limit further than this.

UVRT will install WinPCap v4.1.1 if it is not installed on your system.  I have not had any problems with this version.  If WinPCap is already installed on your computer, the UVRT installer will skip the WinPCap installation.

Scholar

• 

244 Messages

13 years ago

Joe,

I noticed on another Forum someone did a Restore and then could not run or uninstall UVRT the usual way from the Add/Remove Folder in the Control Panel.  Was that just an unusual event or is that a bug in UVRT and / or WinPcap?

Also, I notice in another thread in this Forum that a lot of folks are having problems with streaming videos.  Again, is that related to WinPCap and / or UVRT being installed?  Have any of those folks tried uninstalling those 2 programs to see if the problem was related to them?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

@sirmaru wrote:

Joe,

I noticed on another Forum someone did a Restore and then could not run or uninstall UVRT the usual way from the Add/Remove Folder in the Control Panel.  Was that just an unusual event or is that a bug in UVRT and / or WinPcap?

Also, I notice in another thread in this Forum that a lot of folks are having problems with streaming videos.  Again, is that related to WinPCap and / or UVRT being installed?  Have any of those folks tried uninstalling those 2 programs to see if the problem was related to them?

That appeared to be a one-time event unique to that person's computer.  UVRT's installer is the standard Microsoft MSI installer package that is generated by Visual Studio and is used in thousands of other products.  It doesn't do anything special.

The streaming issue that people are experiencing primarily with Netflix is a network problem in AT&T's network.  Apparently they have partially fixed it for some people, but others are still having problems.  It has absolutely nothing to do with UVRT.

Scholar

• 

244 Messages

13 years ago

Joe,

Your package looks superb although I still have not installed it.  What it really needs now is the blessing of ATT-Uverse.

You could license it to them and make big royalty fees.  Then, if we users detected problems, we could call ATT and they could use the data to really help us.  Right now, they don't recognize any data gleaned from UVRT.

The only purpose now would be to post our screens here but ATT-Uverse still would not be convinced of anything said here.

Right now the best use I can see for UVRT / WinPcap is to install and run it only if ATT-Uverse won't recognize a problem and will not fix it.  After the problem is solved, I think its best to keep it uninstalled to avoid compatibility problems with other software which we may be running.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

AT&T is not interested in licensing the software.  They have their own tools and their techs are trained to use them.

If you don't want to install it, then don't.  Other people, including myself, have it installed and running 24/7, it does not interfere with anything else on your computer.

This line of questioning you continue to bring up is getting tiresome.  There is no problem with the software as far as interference with other things on your computer.  Either post the details of any specific problem you're having, or stop insinuating that there's an issue that doesn't exist.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

Anyway this tool could be enhanced to keep stats on coax error counts?  At first glance, it seems to simply report stats stored on the gateway, similar to a Crystal Reports summarizing a database.  I'd like to see how well the coax is functioning so I can decide if I should move it back to ethernet.  

I'm also trying to prove a point to a tech that didn't listen to me about dsl retrains happening after the tornados & high winds that moved through North Texas.  I had advised the tech at one trip that the limbs seemed to have lowered and the drops had started before the rain and lightning.  Only thing happening at that time were the high winds.  He replaced the coax connector at the demarc.  When the winds whipped up two days later, the drops started again.  During one gust I saw the limbs hit the line and carry it up.  I mentioned that to the level 2 tech on the phone after placing a service call.  I also mentioned it to the same tech that came out.  I suggested the limbs needed to be cut off the line.  He called a truck out for that then proceeded to run a new phone line without clearing with me.  I didn't think much of it though so I let him.  Then was asked to sign for the work so I did.  30 minutes after he had left, I received an invoice for $55.  

I have complained but AT&T can't do anything until it shows up on my bill.  In the mean time, I hooked the coax back to the distribution point, put a cap on the open end where the dsl signal would have come in from the demarc, and found an uncut feed to my living room.  Yes, the {Keep it Courteous}, errr.. tech, cut one of my sat feed cables not knowing my gateway was in a different room.  Once I unhooked and restarted my STBs, I had service coming over the coax (HPNA) without all the ethernet traffic on my main network.  Using your tool, I haven't seen many errors on the coax but that's a small time slice.  I'd like to be able to see history but that probably means saving to CSV or adding ODBC capabilities to the tool.  Could be a source of funding that has been untapped by you and give you a value added service that people would pay extra for.  I know I would if I had something that would keep a database of what the gateway was reporting during the day.

Thoughts?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

robfwtx wrote:

I'd like to be able to see history but that probably means saving to CSV or adding ODBC capabilities to the tool.  Could be a source of funding that has been untapped by you and give you a value added service that people would pay extra for.  I know I would if I had something that would keep a database of what the gateway was reporting during the day.

I have an upcoming version to be released quite soon (v1.8.0.0) that implements an Internet usage meter.  This new version implements a premium feature activation mechanism because the Internet usage meter comes in two flavors (baseline functionality = free, and premium functionality = small cost).

I intend to add other premium features to the program beyond this.  Advanced logging and reporting will be one of those premium features.  However, I must emphasize that that is a ways away right now.  Getting this version with the Internet usage meter out has been the priority.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.