Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Wed, Oct 23, 2019 4:02 PM

U-verse DVR Recordings Skipping/Freezing

I got a new installation this week with U-verse over fiber.

When watching recorded shows, there are skips or freezes in the video (at least 3 or 4 during 30 minute recording).

If I rewind and playback, the skip is in the same place (so the skip is actually recorded on the DVR).

The DVR is wired.  The skips occur on different recordings, from different channels.

I see lots of complaints here with the same issue, with the same advice to reboot.  (I've done that now.)

Seems like the real problem is packet drops in the outside network.

Has anyone gotten their problem resolved?

Responses

_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

4 months ago

You might want to look at the error counts and rate info in your gateway (192.168.1.254).  Get into your gateway's broadband page and you should see a table which includes error count info (FEC and CRC counts).  See if you have "high" numbers.  FWIW I don't have FTTH and my FEC error counts are never 0 but they aren't very large either (just looked, current about 400000 total, CRC errors 19) and never have caused problems.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click "Like" if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

4 months ago

It's only been two days, but I have zero drops, zero errors, and zero collisions on the Gateway.

So, it's either upstream or downstream.

Is there any way to get statistics from DVR?

_xyzzy_

ACE - Expert

• 

15K Messages

4 months ago

No stats for the dvr.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click "Like" if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Even after a service call, I'm still having the same issue. It is intermittant.

On more "popular" shows (today show, (Edited per community guidelines) clark's new years special, jeopardy goat special) it gets worse. On less popular shows or off hours, i don't see the problem.

It seems it must be a network capacity issue, and not due to any equipment in my home.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

We have the same thing happening. It has happened before, and it was fixed by replacing the dvr. The next time it happened, it was fixed by us upgrading to giga. The whole “restart the dvr” spiel does not work with any reliability. There are zero errors recorded in the gateway. This has to do completely with the connection between the dvr and the receiver. Nobody has mentioned anything about this being the problem, and nobody seems to have a solution for this problem.

Why do we, as paying customers, have to figure this out for ourselves? Since this seems to happen a lot, and has apparently affected a lot of subscribers, you would think that ATT, in the name of customer service, would do something about it. There are posts about this exact same issue going back 5 or 6 years, so it’s not something new. It just seems to be something that ATT doesn’t care to fix.

It is so frustrating to be paying for a service that is not reliable and cannot be fixed by the people you are paying for the service. I would love to be able to watch shows that I have recorded, but I can’t, because every time I try, the show ends up being unwatchable due to the dvr skipping.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

I decided to cancel the service and go back to my previous provider.

Unfortunately I'm getting hit with $270 early termination fee ($135 each for TV and Internet) and the last month is no prorated.

:-(

(edited)