For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
marchem's profile

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

Thursday, April 25th, 2019 7:22 PM

U-Verse DVR, hard wired thru switch not working

Just got 300 Mb U-Verse installed, with two U-Verse wired DVRs.  I got a new GB unmanaged switch (TP-Link TL-SG116) to replace my old 10/100 switch in the wiring closet and discovered that the U-Verse TV signal doesn't get thru the switch-the DVRs must be connected directly to the AT&T BGW210 router to work.

I read another thread here that said WiFi DVRs had to use the AT&T WAP; I'm guessing maybe it's the same issue with the wired version?

If I use Google WiFi boxes does this mean that the DVRs will end up being on a different subnet?  That's not terrible, but makes managing devices more complicated, also means that the AT&T Home Manager app will be of less value.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

You only have one dvr.  It and other att receivers that you have wired should be connected directly to the gateway's yellow ethernet ports.  Wireless att receivers communicate with the att WAP which also should be ethernet connected to the gateway. 

If you want to use a switch then an unmanaged switch may be ok so long as only the att IPTV multicast traffic goes through that switch.  But don't share the switch with normal internet traffic since it and multicast don't play nice with each other.  You could however use a managed switch.

If you only have two att boxes I would think it's simplest to just use two of the ethernet ports on the gateway; one for the dvr and one for the other receiver (wired or WAP for wireless).  Then use the other two ports for all your other internet traffic either directly wired to the gateway or through that unmanaged switch which is directly wired to the gateway.

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks.  I'm quickly learning that the ATT IPTV multicast traffic is special stuff.  Sounds like keeping all of the receivers wired to the gateway is best.

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks again, if I want better WiFi performance (at the back of the house, for example) would I be better off using the AT&T Smart WiFi Extender, or going with a mesh network solution, like Google WiFi?  The AT&T unit is inexpensive, but it all depends on how well it works.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

I am really not qualified to answer that one.    I believe the thing with wifi (and that includes the wireless receivers) is that you don't really know well the stuff is going to work until you try it.  Distance and the kinds of materials the signal needs to pass through are all variables that are hard to predict their effects in advance.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.