jesstiger81's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 1:19 PM

Still having problems with my DVD player

I followed the steps in the programming guide as far as programming the remote to control the DVD player.  I got as far as turning the DVD player off with the remote, but I can't get it to turn on again. 

Even if I can get it turned on, I have no idea where to go to be in DVD mode to watch DVDs.  I hit DVD on the remote and then POWER, but nothing happened. 

PLEASE HELP!!!

Extremely Frustrated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

@jesstiger81 wrote:

I have the AT&T U-Verse screen up but the DVD music playing. 

If you are seeing the U-Verse screen and hearing the DVD audio, 1. your devices are not properly hooked up OR 2. you are not selecting the correct TV input.  How are your U-Verse box and DVD player connected to the set?

For example - Some friends bought a brand new $1500 LED TV and a Blu-ray player.  When I got to their place, the Picture was showing Comcast TV while the music from the DVD, was playing.  I fiddled with the TV remote (not the Comcast one) and found that you could select audio and video separately.  Once I assigned the Comcast video and audio together and the blu-ray a/v together, all was good.  Yes inputs can be confusing!  You can scroll through the TV's inputs on the U-Verse remote by pressing the TV button (upper left) and then video input (or similar) on the right hand side toward the top.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

dhascall has made some good suggestions that have led to progress. I learned a couple things here that I was not previously aware of.

I had not previously heard of selecting video & audio seperately. That is something to be aware of the possibility.

The second thing is probably still just a theory - I think seeing the U-verse blue screen and the DVD audio is a result of plugging the DVD player into the u-verse STB. The various occurrances of the jacks are multipled in the STB, so there is a physical connection between the STB/TV/DVD. Since there is no audio on the STB, the DVD audio comes through to the TV. The STB blue screen over-rides the video from the DVD. OR, maybe different jacks (composite/component)

I would like to add a few suggestions (some emphasize what has already been suggested.

Never connect  another input device (like a DVD) to an STB.

While trying to get it connected, use the remote for the original devices. After it is working try to add the devices to the u-verse remote,

If you want HD for both STB and DVD you need to connect each to different TV inputs by HDMI or component(three RCA jacks for video & two for audio). If you do not need HD then use the composite video (yellow RCA jack) and two red/white for audio.

Be careful  not to mix up any of these connections.

once connected to different inputs on the TV they can be selected by TV menu

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Your TV description is a big help. If you tell me make & model I will look for manual on line.

You want the DVR and the DVD to each be plugged into the TV individually. Do mot plug DVD into DVR,

The DVD will use one of the yellow/red/white jacks.

Was u-verse hooked up COAX when installed? This is a good connection.

With this connection U-verse is on Chan 3 and the DVD is on video input. You select  which input on your TV by an AV button or menu or (maybe) chan 0.

If the two sets of jacks on the TV are NOT wired together you could use one for the DVR and one for the DVD and select which video input  on the TV.

If they are wired together best stick with COAX for the DVR.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Programming any remote is difficult, confusing, complicated and prone to errors. U-verse having different remotes with different programming methods adds to the confusion. So, does frustration.

After you relax, try again. Try different codes. If you are using the trial method, go beyond the first hit and see if you can catch another code. Do you have a friend that can go through the directions to get another perspective?

Remember, U-verse is set up to make U-verse work. TV fuctionality may not be complete. Other devices even less.

You may need to use the DVD player remote. Or, go to Costcco, get a Harmony 700 for less than $80.  This remote is programmed in great detaii by each step on your computer- no codes. It wil support everything you can do with the mfgr remotes. You wil do things you have not even thought of yet..

Go to logitech.com & enter your device model numbers to verify support.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

I don't have to use the U-verse remote for everything, I have no problem using the DVD player remote if need be.  I guess my main concern right now is getting the DVD player through the TV.  I have no idea how to do it, how to switch to DVD player mode.  Any suggestions?

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

13 years ago

If I understand your post correctly you would go to your TV menu and select the input(s) your DVD player is connected to using your TV remote. If it's a HDTV your DVD connection would have to be either HDMI or component cables (red, blue, green) for a HD picture. Often you can rename your connection (eg. HDMI 2) to "DVD" on your TV menu to avoid confusion on what equipment is connected to specific inputs.

Hope that's what you meant and good luck. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Ok, I tried getting the DVR to turn off and the TV to stay on.  That time I heard the music for the DVD I was trying to watch but didn't get a picture.  I had the component cables (the red, white and yellow ones) plugged into the DVR.  When I plugged them back into the TV it went away.  So, I guess I have to have them plugged into the DVR and maybe change the channel on the TV?  At least I'm halfway there.  I loved the fact that I would only have one remote but I guess for DVD function I have to have more.  Any suggestions on what I need to do to get my picture?   Thanks for your help so far.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

I have the AT&T U-Verse screen up but the DVD music playing. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Ok... thanks for bearing with an obvious dummy! 

I don't have an HDTV, so we can throw that out of the equation.  I have a plan old TV.  On the TV, there is a jack on both the front and the back of the TV that you can plug the red, white and yellow cable into.  Before I got U-Verse I had the DVD player plugged directly into the TV. 

1.  Are you saying that I should leave it that way and try something different? 

2.  Are you saying that should NOT try plugging the DVD player into the DVR?

If you can keep offering help, that would be appreciated.  I will try what you have suggested and see if I can get anything to happen.  I will keep you posted as well.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Ok I FINALLY understand! 

I plugged my DVD player back into the TV, and used the TV remote to switch modes.  Now I understand what you were saying, and I got the DVD player to work.  I thought that because the AT&T U-verse remote controlled my TV, whereas when I had Charter I had to turn the TV on with the TV remote THEN use the Charter remote - that the U-verse remote would also be where I switched modes to go to DVD player.  Not the case with my TV. 

So, I just have to use the TV & DVD player remotes when I want to watch a DVD.  No biggie.  I just need to get one of those little holders for the remotes so there aren't remotes everywhere!  Haha.

Thanks again for your help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.