K

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, July 21st, 2020 11:45 PM

remote stopped working mid program

I was watching a TV that hasn't been used in more than 2 years but the remote seemed fine and started it right up. I was watching a saved program but when I went to fast forward, the remote no longer worked. I figured it was batteries, so put in 2 brand new ones and the AT&T button lit up . But when I tried now to turn off the tv, it didn't work to do that or any other functions. I went to AT&T troubleshooting and got to the instruction to try a different remote. Well, another remote did let me do the internal functions such as change channel and move between DVR and tv, but it wouldn't turn off the tv, only the receiver box. Now what??

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

4 years ago

The older batteries probably were not even strong enough to hold the memory where the code for the TV is kept, so it no longer remembers your TV brand and cannot turn it on or change volume/mute, or the low battery may have caused it to corrupt its settings and needs to be reset.  Your other remote is probably programmed for another brand of TV and likewise doesn't know how to control the TV.

Look here for instructions on how to program a remote:

https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-tv/KM1009898/

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

The article on reprogramming a remote assumes that some of the buttons work. None of them do, even with new batteries. I may just use the other remote for program functions and the tv remote to turn on and off. This was suggested in at AT&T video. Thanks for your suggestions, though!

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

4 years ago

If the old batteries had leaked, the contacts may need cleaning.  Ensure that the new batteries are indeed new, and are installed in the correct orientation.

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

No leaking and brand new out of box batteries. Then the AT&T solution to use tv remote to turn on/off and another remote to work programming stopped working. Maybe I shouldn't have put in new batteries there! All the lights lit up, just didn't talk to tv anymore.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

4 years ago

If the TV remote no longer works (and is blinking), I'd suggest unplugging the TV for 30 seconds or so, then trying it.

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for everybody's help and suggestions but I finally got a live body at AT&T to run through my various problems and it was determined to be a bad receiver, so they're sending me a replacement. Yay!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.