RBfKC10's profile

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

Wednesday, November 17th, 2010 4:24 AM

Question about U-Verse Installation (RG placement / Coax vs CAT5)

U-Verse just arrived in my neighborhood (new VRAD just went in >500 feet away) and I'm considering making the switch. I have a few questions first however. I live in a newer two story home with a basement, that is wired with coax throughout (but not CAT5). Due to the nature of my work, it is essential that I have a hard line to the internet in my office on the top floor. My question is; even though the cable/phone/etc comes into the house in the basement, is it possible for the installer to install the residential gateway in my office? Will he need to run CAT5, and if so, could he simply terminate it in a dual coax/ethernet wall plate without cutting any additional holes in my walls (using the existing cable as a guide to feed the new cable)? For the sake of simplicity, would it be possible to run the one length of CAT5 to my office, and then have all of the other boxes (four in total, two HD) running off of coax? I'm trying to get a feel for how many holes need to be drilled in my floors and/or walls to make this work (I'm not that eager to switch if the answer is more than one or two). I realize that coax can be used by itself with an adapter of some sort, but from what I've read, that really isn't the way to go if you can help it. Doing it that way, could the RG be placed in the upstairs office? I'd rather have CAT5 directly to it, but if it can be done simpler with coax (assuming the RG can be upstairs) I'd be willing to compromise. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find my specific issue addressed previously (if it has been, feel free to forward me there). Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

The way the techs run wire varies from location to location throughout the country.  From what I have heard, in most cases if the coax is available and in good condition (i.e. passes testing), they will use the coax.  They will not run Cat5e for free if coax can be used.

If the coax cannot be used because of technical issues or because it is already in use by another service, then they will run either more coax or Cat5e for you, but they will not fish walls to do that.  They will run the wire on the outside of the house, or under carpet & along baseboards.

In some locations, they will run Cat5e on request for a charge per drop -- I have read $75 per drop.

You will have to ask your installer for the particulars to your location.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

13 years ago

Since my house is new, I have a feeling that my coax is of high quality. This policy doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Since a coax connection can't be used for internet (there is no NIC in a computer that can handle it rather. I realize that it can carry IP traffic) what does AT&T expect U-Verse users to do for rooms that aren't located near the RG? Do they expect every computer/game console/etc away from the RG to use wireless? Since I've always had this type of equipment attached to a router, I don't have wireless adapters for them.

Would the installer carry something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Over-Coax-Adapter/dp/B0021W90W4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1290390068&sr=1-2) or this (http://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Adapter-Network-Homes-Satellite/dp/B001RJMBZU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1290390068&sr=1-3)? I'm not so eager to have U-Verse that I'd go out and buy extra equipment to get it to work, and the primary internet room having to use wireless (or plug into the TV set top box. That isn't wise, if I've read correctly?) is a deal breaker.

Thank you for the patience in relation to all of my questions.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

The installer will provide you with wireless adapters for your computers if you need them.

Some techs do carry Ethernet-over-powerline adapters that can be used to connect computers in another room if they can't use wireless.

If an STB is connected on coax, you can use the Cat5e port on the STB to run another device, but it's generally not recommended and not supported because the STB can have performance issues under this setup.

I don't think the installers generally carry Ethernet to coax bridges for use with computers.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

Another possibility: The RG can be fed from the NID/NIB with phone line just like ADSL. If all your phone jacks are fed with individual home runs back to the basement and those lines are high enough quality (at least 2 twisted pairs) you might be able to place the RG in your office, feed it off the phone line, then back feed over the coax down to the basement and feed the rest of TVs in the home. Then plug your office computer directly into the RG's four port switch. Then all you need is a CAT5 run back to basement where you would use a 5 or 8 port ethernet switch to feed your other devices that need internet access. You might want to pull your wall plates for your phone jack and coax and check the type and quality of the cables. Also check to see if either the coax or phone lines have been run in conduit. If they are, that would greatly simplify running the new CAT5 back down to the basement. Sometimes another easy route from the second floor back to the basement would be down a cold air return duct if you have forced-air heat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

13 years ago

@SomeJoe7777

It's not so much an issue of me not be able to use wireless, but rather that I won't. Since I technically have the capability, I doubt an installer is going to be willing to look the other way.  Well, whatever. The cost of the one coax to ethernet adapter is offset by the promotional savings anyway, so I guess there isn't any reason to cancel the service.

@Computer-Joe

I'll definitely have the installer look at that. Thank you for the suggestion.

Thank you for all the assistance everyone. Consider my case closed.

Teacher

• 

34 Messages

13 years ago

I had U-Verse installed a few days ago, and I figured I should give an update. Specifically, I'd like to update you guys on the performance of the Actiontec HCB1000 HPNA to Ethernet Bridge that I purchased. On the bright side, it does work in the sense that it will feed a router, and a set top box, which gives you a wired connection to the internet in a room that otherwise wouldn't have one. Unfortunately, while I get the full 24/3 (or is it 4? I haven't tested in a while) with a computer connected directly to the RG, I only get 15/0.5 while connected to the HCB1000. My wiring is fine, and I've made sure to test with all TV boxes off (to maximize bandwidth available) so I know it is the box (or U-Verse) to blame. This little box might work better with cable internet, but with U-Verse, it seems like the upload bandwidth just isn't there over HPNA, and with my need to video conference, 0.5 up just isn't going to cut it. For what it's worth, I didn't notice any problems while running the HCB1000 (like people experience when using the set top box as a bridge), but then again, I only ran it long enough to figure out that it wouldn't work before I put it back in the box to be shipped back. Your mileage may vary.

I'm not asking for help, just reporting the results I've had with the HCB1000. If you absolutely have to have a hard line in a room that is far away from the RG, and you won't use wireless (or can't), the HCB1000 can work. If you need that upload bandwidth though, I would look for another solution. I'd definitely try ethernet over powerlines first, but if you aren't on the same circuit, or you can't use one because you are in an apartment or something, the HCB1000 will work (albeit not particularly well if you need your upload bandwidth).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.