gbelous's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Friday, October 11th, 2013 1:30 AM

My DVR keeps rebooting, need help

I have been with att uverse for a few months now. Power went out 4 days ago and since then our bedroom wireless dvr has been constantly rebooting. Lights randomly flash, it cycles thru and sometimes I even get to see 15 seconds of tv before it says no signal and starts over again. Att support didn't find any problem so they sent another receiver and the second i get it connected to the network it starts rebooting too. A second call to customer support results in them wanting to send a technician so before they do I wanted to check here to see if anyone had any tips or advice before I get charged $99 for them to come out and tell me its something my fault.

There has been no issue at all with our living room tv and dvr or internet and wireless access. I have rebooted the modem and wap and even plugged the dvr into another outlet. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!!

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for keeping us posted! It is sad that it was the DVR, but it's always a huge relief when you know what is causing your problems. Whenever you need the DVR replaced, just reach out to me, and I would be glad to get that done for you.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

My wireless box started doing this same thing this morning.  Will boot all of the way up, play tv for a few seconds, and then power itself off, and start rebooting..........

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Sounds familiar. All it does when plugged in is keep rebooting over and over? Try unplugging the main dvr and see if the receiver stays on or not. If it stays on then my guess is the dvr is bad. I just finished installing the replacement dvr and so far *knock on wood* the bedroom receiver hasn't rebooted. No one at att knows why or how or ever heard of this but have them send a new dvr.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@iamthesimple1 wrote:

My wireless box started doing this same thing this morning.  Will boot all of the way up, play tv for a few seconds, and then power itself off, and start rebooting..........

Try plugging it directly into the power outlet, not on a power strip or UPC, this has sometimes helped.  Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi iamthesimple1,

Just wanted to check in with you to see if the information that gbelous or mibrnsurg helped with your intermittent TV picture. If you tried what gbelous suggested, and it is working fine without the DVR, we may need to replace it. If so, let me know and I will be glad to take care of that for you.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have the same exact issue... anything I can do myself? As long as the main DVR is unplugged, my wireless receiver works fine... I've had to have several units replaced over the past few months. Do I have to wait for a tech to come out and replace it again? And risk the $99 charge...

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Cmon_U_verse - Is the DVR connected to the RG cat5? If not can you do it?

When the DVR is not connected the STB works in a stand alone mode. When the DVR is connected the whole house DVR & trick play kick in. In this mode the DVR, RG and STB must all work to together. This background activity is most susceptible to defects in wiring & electronics.

Make sure all COAX connections are tight & the WAP is well positioned. Try whole house reboot - Pull power on all U-verse components. Replug RG. Wait for all green. Replug DVR. Wait for viewing. Replug addl STBs/WAPs.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Cmon_U_verse,

Hopefully, the information that aviewer provided you got everything working the way it should be. If not, you may have the same issue as gbelous. If so, please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. I would be glad to assist with this and make sure it gets handled appropriately.

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm having the same problem. Just had a new wireless receiver sent then read this post. Do I need a new main box? I unplugged that box and now have tv on the wireless.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I would definitely make sure you rule everything else out that it could be, before requesting a new dvr. I think the way the tech finally determined it was the main dvr was that he had both units plugged in so the reciever was rebooting, then he unplugged the power on the main dvr and that made the other one stop cycling thru. He waited a few minutes to be sure then plugged the main back in, then shortly after the receiver started skipping, pausing and finally began rebooting again.

Anyone I had talked to when calling techincal support never heard of this issue. Perhaps it's just too new of a box and hasn't been field tested properly.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.