BonusGram's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, January 14th, 2019 9:02 PM

How to connect uverse tv receiver to Sony receiver/amplifier and hdmi tv

Trying to connect Uverse TV receiver box to Sony receiver/Amplifier w sound bar and surround sound speakers then to tv.   If I connect uverse box direct to tv all is well. BUT when I try to connect the uverse box to the Sony receiver with surround sound sound speakers and Blue Ray player I cannot get signal.  Help, what am i missing?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

Did you change the input of the tv to the input the receiver is connected to? Is the receiver connected to the tv? Best thing to do is get the Sony receiver owners manual and go through the connection steps to for connecting a tv. Many things could be wrong. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for your response. Yes have used the Sony manual to connect the Sony receiver to tv and changed settings as per manual the problem seems to lie between the U-verse receiver and the Sony receiver. There is not an HDMI input on the Sony receiver for the U-verse box. SAT in, dvd in and BD in. Optical in and HDMI out I got no problem but where/how to I get the signal from U-verse receiver to Sony receiver. We had these all hooked up once before. Is it possible that I need to reverse the connection and have the connection go from U-verse box to tv and then to receiver? I vaguely remember something having to be done in the reverse for some reason. Think that might have been it. Will take a look again and see if that is a possible correction to solve the problem. In the meantime any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Scholar

• 

205 Messages

5 years ago

Have you connected the sound bar to the optical in on the back of your TV to optical out on your receiver.  Then you connect everything else to the connections on your TV.  I did it that way and everything works through the sound bar.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

Scholar

• 

205 Messages

5 years ago

I apologize for the error.  I looked at my TV and you go optical out on TV and optical in to the sound bar.  You then connect your cable from the Uverse box to the HDMI on your TV.  And all other connections go to your TV.  Myself have had problems with HDMI on Uverse receiver and had to switch to component cables.  Mine is connected that way and all devices connected to the TV works through my sound bar.

Scholar

• 

205 Messages

5 years ago

One more thing I forgot to mention.  You have to go to setting on your TV and change the audio to external speakers.  It is probably set to use the internal speakers on the TV.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks a bunch for all your input. Helped me to know my brain is still functioning. Your solution was exactly how I had it hooked together but between the older Sony receiver and the U-verse receiver the connections needed are not there on either box! The Sony surround sound is at least 8-10 yrs old. Hubby bought an RCA sound bar with all the right connections. It was fine until the subwoofer went. Reason for digging out the Sony surround sound. We have not had the surround sound for almost a yr because I wasn’t sure the subwoofer was gone or not and couldn’t get to Sony speakers in attic. Told him he hadn’t had them for a yr, guess he can do without. Understand some People in their late 60’s and mid 70’s still have what it takes w today’s technology. But that’s me, not him! Lol. Really do appreciate your input but had to remind hubby we have a different U-verse box than we had 10 yrs ago! Thanks Bonus Gram
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.