underwoodlucky's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Thursday, July 16th, 2015 11:49 PM

How Many Wireless Receivers Can You Have?

There is 3 Tv's all have HDMI. It seems to me you can only have 2 Wireless Receivers? I guess to hope the 3rd TV is wireless? 2 Tv's in the house & one in the Garage (Man Cave). Now what is the Access Point? Wifi Spot? Wifi Extender? Thanks...

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

9 years ago

@underwoodlucky wrote:

I really do not know. I never used a DVR. I had no desire to record. I just watch my Alabama Football & WWE lol!

You can only have 2 wireless boxes.  Any additional boxes will have to be wired to the RG (Residential Gateway/Modem).

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

9 years ago

@underwoodlucky wrote:

There is 3 Tv's all have HDMI. It seems to me you can only have 2 Wireless Receivers? I guess to hope the 3rd TV is wireless? 2 Tv's in the house & one in the Garage (Man Cave). Now what is the Access Point? Wifi Spot? Wifi Extender? Thanks...

If you get a DVR, that must be wired.  Would that work for one of the TVs?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

The garage is part of the house? Yes - My son has a TV in the garage co-connected HDMI to an STB in the house basement. But, both have sporadic use. So, that probably does not work for you.

If the garage is not attached, how far away is it? Probably too far for wireless. Only valid extension is a longer wire. How is the electricity run?

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

To better answer your question I attached an image as you can see not far at all which is good the bad part if you do not have an WIFI Extender the signal will be horrible like 1 bar with it all bars. Now as you can see it has to go through 3 walls. I must say with that Netgear AC750 Wifi Extender or Access it does a good signal strength I am impressed no signal loss at all. At this moment we have AT&T DSL 6mbps we do not use there DSL Router. We are using Netgear D6200 with an Netgear AC750 Extender/Access thats what so cool about that the Access can use Ethernet Cable.

Now I really do not know how this all works this wireless this is why I asked how many Wireless Receiver can you have? Three people 3 TV's that's my point. How can you get all Cable TV's Channels working on all 3 Tv's?House_Garage.jpg

1 Attachment

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

I really do not know. I never used a DVR. I had no desire to record. I just watch my Alabama Football & WWE lol!

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

9 years ago

@underwoodlucky wrote:

Just to clear up any potential confusion:

The "wireless" part of the technology means that it does not need a physical connection to the RG.

Here's a description of how my connection works. It comes in off the pole via coax. There's a box on the side of the house which the coax connects to. From there, I have cat-5 into my "Residential Gateway," sometimes called "RG" or "modem."

The RG then splits the signal into internet and TV.

From there, I have two connections coming out of my RG. I have a coax connection leading to my DVR. I have a (cat-6?) cable leading into another box called a "Wireless Access Point" or "WAP." This WAP "talks to" the two wireless set-top boxes, or "STBs."

The STBs connect only to a standard power outlet and to the TV. The wireless STBs can connect to TVs via HDMI, Component HD, composite, or I believe even coax.

Some people claim issues exist when connecting U-Verse boxes to TVs via HDMI...you may want to experiment and have both HDMI and component HD connected at one and find out which works for you.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

@underwoodlucky

RE:

We are using Netgear D6200 with an Netgear AC750 Extender/Access thats what so cool about that the Access can use Ethernet Cable.

Now I really do not know how this all works this wireless this is why I asked how many Wireless Receiver can you have? Three people 3 TV's that's my point. How can you get all Cable TV's Channels working on all 3 Tv's?

This sounds like you got the idea that U-verse only offers wireless receivers. You can connect from the RG to the garage cat5 ethhernet cable. In fact, pull one for TV & one for a computer.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.ok this helps thanks allot. But did you say it comes off the utility pole coax? Well we do have RG6 but for some odd reason charter stopped the RG11 down the street for about 185 feet. Which means utility pole to utlity pole no RG11 but from the house utility pole we have RG6 running to the house. Now will that be an issue or do they run there own lines? 

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

I assume I must pay for that extra box?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

9 years ago

@underwoodlucky wrote:

I assume I must pay for that extra box?

Set Top Boxes (wired or wireless) are leased and $9 a month.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.