jwjames83's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 10:20 PM

HD Limitations?

Ok, I'm curious - I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone, or at least the answers seem to change from where I read, how old the posting is on the website, who I talk to, etc.

According to U-Verse Realtime, profile downstream is 32M and Upstream is 5M. What are the actual limitations with HD & SD streams (including recording, etc.) We currently have 3 HD TVs, and 1 SD TV.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

You can see you profile from your TV as follows: 

Menu --> Options --> System Options --> System information --> System resources

What are your WAN Profile and Ingress Profile?  The WAN Profile represents streams into your residential gateway (RG), and the Ingress Profile represents streams into the DVR.

On the 32/5 profile, your WAN Profile should be 0 SD/4 HD.  You can watch 4 live HD channels at the same time.  If 2 or more TV's are tuned to the same channel, that counts as the use of 1 stream. 

Your Ingress Profile should be 1 SD/3 HD.  You can record up to 3 HD channels at the same time.  When this occurs, a 4th live HD channel can be watched on a TV connected to a non-DVR STB.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

13 years ago

@jwjames83 wrote:

Ok, I'm curious - I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone, or at least the answers seem to change from where I read, how old the posting is on the website, who I talk to, etc.

According to U-Verse Realtime, profile downstream is 32M and Upstream is 5M. What are the actual limitations with HD & SD streams (including recording, etc.) We currently have 3 HD TVs, and 1 SD TV.

The number of TVs you have is irrelevant. 

See what your profile is by going to Menu>Options>System Options>System Information>System Resources.  Look at your WAN profile and post the info.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

13 years ago

Dude...great minds....great minds!

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Most be something in the air in the DFW area! 😉

Scholar

• 

194 Messages

13 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

Most be something in the air in the DFW area! 😉

Blow some of it over to North Richland Hills.  I can hear my brain cells screaming as they die.

-----------------------------------------------------------
War and pizza, we deliver!

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Consider it done!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

Per the System Resources:

WAN Profile:  1 SD / 3 HD; Max Bandwidth: 26960400

Ingress Profile: 1 SD / 3 HD

So obviously U-Verse Realtime is incorrect?

Installer said we *could* get the 32/5 since we're so close. Should we call in CS to request an "upgrade" or "fix" ?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

If you are on the 32/5 profile and your WAN Profile is not 0 SD/4 HD, call Technicial Support and request that you be upgraded to the 4 HD profile.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

13 years ago

Great, thanks for the suggestion!

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

13 years ago

@jwjames83 wrote:

Per the System Resources:

WAN Profile:  1 SD / 3 HD; Max Bandwidth: 26960400

Ingress Profile: 1 SD / 3 HD

So obviously U-Verse Realtime is incorrect?

Installer said we *could* get the 32/5 since we're so close. Should we call in CS to request an "upgrade" or "fix" ?

My understanding is that U-verse realtime cannot determine the WAN or Ingress profiles directly.  They are "guessed at*" if not configured by you from looking at the settings yourself.  I think they're there at all so that you can see on the viewing tab how many of your available streams you're consuming. 

Honestly, I think this causes more confusion than it's worth because this tool usually provides accurate information that it determines empirically and this info deviates from this standard.  It's kind of like getting some information from U-talk and some from a Level 1 Customer Service Rep at the same time and not being able to tell which is which.

(* the most common value known to the developer is hard coded into the program.)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.