Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
R

• 

3 Messages

Fri, Oct 30, 2020 6:29 AM

DVR problems

I have uverse tv in 4 rooms.  A month ago I started having problems with playing recorded programs. Also problems with pausing or rewinding live TV.  Skipping, freezing , pixelating. Infrequently at first but gradually getting worse until now it happens constantly. 3 of the boxes, including the main DVR box, have these problems but will normally play the entire program if I'm willing to put up with the  freezing and skipping. Sometimes I may even get through an entire program without much trouble. The 4th box will only play a recorded program for a short while and will stop and have the error message (Network problems have stopped this stream. The program is not currently available for playing.  Recording playback is unavailable. Make sure this TV receiver and the DVR receiver are connected to the network.)  Sometimes I can press resume and it will play again for a short while. Sometimes it will give me that error message repeatedly and I have to stop watching. It is the only box of the 4 that ever completely stops playing and gives that message.

I spoke with customer service and they sent a new modem. The one it replaced was only 16 months old. They also said they did a remote reset of the main DVR box? Neither of these thing helped. Is it time for a new DVR box? And why does only 1 of the boxes give me the network problems message?

Responses

gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

a month ago

Presumably att is satisfied service to the gateway is solid.  How are all the boxes connected back to the gateway?

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

The house was pre-wired for cable with coax and I had another service provider for years. So there are coax wall plates in all rooms with TVs. There is a coax cable from the wall to the modem. The DVR box in a den and 2 bedroom boxes are also connected to their wall by coax. So I guess that's how those 3 TVs are connected? Those are the 3 that work better, but still annoyingly bad. They freeze and skip but never get network error messages. The box that is the most trouble and gives the network error message all the time is not connected to it's wall by coax. It has a power cord and an HDMI cable running to the TV. I guess it is a wireless connection? It and the modem are on the 2nd floor, about 10 feet apart. The main DVR box and the 2 bedroom boxes that are connected to the coax plates are all downstairs. Additionally, we've noticed the last couple days that several recorded programs have somehow deleted themselves. None of the programs were over 6 months old and recording capacity is at 60%

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

18K Messages

a month ago

Do you have a WAP for your TV Receivers separate from your Gateway/modem?  How far is it from the Gateway?

You might want to look at your HPNA statistics on your Gateway to see if you're getting much in the way of errors over the Coax network; this would affect receivers connected that way, and any "trick play" features (pause/rewind) you would do from the wireless box.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

I do have a WAP. It sits directly next to the Gateway. They are both upstairs in my bonus room by the computer. The TV box that gives me the most trouble is also in that room, about 10 feet away. It is not connected to coax.  The other 3 boxes, including the DVR box, are all downstairs and are connected to coax. 

How do I check HPNA statistics? I got to the broadband and LAN stats. For broadband there are a zillion bytes and packets for transmit with 0 errors and a zillion bytes and packets for receive with 0 errors.

For LAN there are also a zillion bytes and packets with o errors for all ethernet. For Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz there are also 0 errors. For Wi-Fi  5 GHz there are no transmit errors. There are 43 errors under receive out of 15 million bytes for a listed percentage of 0%. I can't find any other stats. Were those what you were talking about?

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

18K Messages

a month ago

No, the HPNA stats cover the traffic over the coax.  The Gateway that I currently have doesn't support HPNA, and it looks like I didn't keep a screenshot.  Google cached the display of someone's gateway here, you can scroll down and see the HomePNA after the Wi-Fi; the styling isn't there, but you can get some idea of the data.

Anyway, move that WAP at least 3 feet away from the Gateway--preferably such that the three (Gateway, WAP and Receiver) are not in a straight line--to minimize interference.  Alternately, if it's just 10 feet, could you run an Ethernet cable from the Gateway to the Receiver? 

Get started...

Ask a new question