For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Hank10's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, September 27th, 2014 2:11 PM

Do I need the uverse battery?

My uverse battery thing keeps beeping.  I read that I would need to get a new battery, but I'm wondering if it's possible to just go without the battery somehow.  All it does is keep power for calls, i.e. to 911, if the power goes out, right?  My cordless phone doesn't work when the power goes out, and I have wireless, so I'm just not sure why I need the battery.  Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

The battery provides backup power when your main power goes out. Depending upon the model of RG you have, it's power supply is integrated into the battery backup, so you can't eliminate the battery without eliminating the power (which you probably don't really want to do). The battery backup will also do some level of line conditioning to help protect your RG from power surges. If you remove the battery backup, you will increase the risk of power spikes killing your RG, but once again, that's your choice.

You can eliminate it, but I wouldn't generally recommend it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Hank10 wrote:
Thank you for the quick reply. What is RG?

RG is the "Residential Gateway", also known as the uverse modem/router. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for the quick reply. What is RG?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Ah, OK.  Thank you for that.  BTW, I accidentally posted in the wrong forum.  Is it possible for me to move my question to the uverse forum?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Hank10@  wrote:

My uverse battery thing keeps beeping.  I read that I would need to get a new battery, but I'm wondering if it's possible to just go without the battery somehow.  All it does is keep power for calls, i.e. to 911, if the power goes out, right?  My cordless phone doesn't work when the power goes out, and I have wireless, so I'm just not sure why I need the battery.  Thanks in advance for any advice. 

If you're not worried about losing phone and/or Internet during a power outage (maybe you have a generator), then depending on what model RG (modem/router) you have, you could potentially replace the BBU (battery back-up unit) with the stock power supply that came with the RG (the BBU is an aftermarket add-on from Belkin if I'm not mistaken).

If you have an iNID (i3812V) which is used in some pair bonding cases, I believe the BBU is integrated and can not be eliminated.

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

That battery back up is great for keeping power to the RG ( residential gateway ).  It's there so you have the ability to call 9-1-1 IF your power goes out. 

But, if you have a cordless phone, you'll loose power to that with the rest of the house, and you still can't place a call.  Now if you have a "years old" phone, that does not need power from anywhere but the "line", that will work.  The -48volts from landlines ( it's really -52volts ) powered phones for years, till the cordless came around.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.