shoemkr's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Monday, January 3rd, 2011 5:17 PM

Couple quick questions regarding options for RG/STB connections/cabling

FYI:  There is no "coax network" in our home.  Each coax cable is run individually (same goes for the CAT6 ethernet cabling noted).

Here's our current setup:  NID->HPNA Diplexer, with coax running from Combined port directly to our RG (I believe a 2Wire 3800), while the HPNA port is directly connected via coax to a secondary U-verse receiver (Cisco IPN330HD-SG-A) in a bedroom.  From the RG, CAT6 cable is run to the opposite side of the room (through the wall) to our main DVR receiver (Cisco IPN4320-SG-A).  Through the same wall there is a run of coax cable.

My questions are:  Is there any way to, without losing any data/video quality, have the RG connected to the DVR receiver via coax (say, via an ethernet-to-coax adapter, assuming such a thing exists) rather than CAT6?  It would be nice to be able to use the CAT6 cable to connect a network/Internet-ready Blu-ray player to the RG instead.  If that is not possible, would there be any problems (again, I don't want to lose any data/video quality/reliability) connecting a network switch to the receiver-end of the CAT6, with network cables coming out from the switch going to the receiver, the Blu-ray player, and also a PS2 (for online gaming)?

Thank you for any/all tips/advice/suggestions shared!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

A network switch will work just as well, will be easier to hook up than the coax method, and gives you the ability to enable internet connectivity to multiple devices as you suggested.  There will not be any communications or video quality problems. 

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

Just put a (U-verse) splitter on the outbound leg of the diplexer.
You can buy them at Techtoolsupply.com. It's a Holland 1.5GHz HPNA splitter.
You should put terminator caps on any unused coax ports. TTS has those too.
Or you can call a tech in to do it too.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

13 years ago

First, is the splitter you're referring to such as the one linked to below?

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GHPNA%2D2

Second, if the above is true, where exactly am I supposed to "insert" the splitter?  In between the coax cable coming from the Combined port on the diplexer and the RG, with one cable from the splitter then going to the RG, while the second cable goes to the in-wall coax cable (so that that signal can be sent to the receiver on the other side of the room via coax rather than CAT6)?

Lastly, sorry, but which of the terminator caps linked to below is the one you're referring to?

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=terminator+cap

Thanks for your help!

(I'm still open to other options, by the way, such as using a network switch to "split" the CAT6-delivered data stream/signal, assuming, again, that won't cause communication and/or quality issues between the RG and the receiver.)

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

@shoemkr wrote:

yep yep

Second, if the above is true, where exactly am I supposed to "insert" the splitter?  In between the coax cable coming from the Combined port on the diplexer and the RG, with one cable from the splitter then going to the RG, while the second cable goes to the in-wall coax cable (so that that signal can be sent to the receiver on the other side of the room via coax rather than CAT6)?

Lastly, sorry, but which of the terminator caps linked to below is the one you're referring to?

TTS PRICE: $0.28

Availability: Normally Ships Same Day
Product Code: F-59TH

Thanks for your help!

(I'm still open to other options, by the way, such as using a network switch to "split" the CAT6-delivered data stream/signal, assuming, again, that won't cause communication and/or quality issues between the RG and the receiver.)

in case scott isnt back for a bit  ( works for a company that demands hard work )

:_P)

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

13 years ago

I agree with the network switch idea, as long as it's capable.  The NETGEAR GS105 and GS108 come highly recommended.

One that has IGMP V2 snooping (which those don't) will keep multicast traffic intended for the DVR from going to the other devices on the switch (and possibly loading them down processing traffic they don't need to see). 

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

@shoemkr wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Your part links are correct.

Connect the input of the splitter to the "HPNA/TVRF" port of the Diplexer, then the outputs to your STB/DVR(s).

The diplexer is used when you have a coax link to the outside box (the Network Interface, The Demarc, the (usually) gray box on teh side of your house). Because the Residential Gateway (RG) only has one coax port, it's made to work as both an input and an output. 

The Diplexer takes the raw VDSL signal in on the "VDSL" port, feeds it into the RG on the "Combined" port, takes the HPNA output (which is a data network signal) which is also on the "Combined" port, then outputs the combined signal on the "HPNA/TVRF" port. So, the flow looks like this:

[NID]==coax cable==[Diplexer, VDSL port]-[Diplexer Combined port]==>

>==[RG Coax Port IN]+[RG Coax Port Out]==[Diplexer Combined port]-[Diplexer HPNA/TVRF port]==>>[Splitter]==Coax to Set-tops and / or DVR==[ STB, DVR, or HPNA bridge (i.e., for Xbox360 via coax]

Do not ground the splitter. Do not add any grounds to any component on the coax .... the technician will have / should have installed any necessary grounding. If you add additional grounding, you may create a noise loop or (small chance, but ugly if it happens) an unintentional grounding path for evil voltage through your (per Murphy's law) most needed and expensive components (maybe injury too ...).

If you think you have an issue related to grounding / shielding, please call for a technician, or at least someone that know their way around with a meter.

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

I agree with the network switch idea, as long as it's capable.  The NETGEAR GS105 and GS108 come highly recommended.

One that has IGMP V2 snooping (which those don't) will keep multicast traffic intended for the DVR from going to the other devices on the switch (and possibly loading them down processing traffic they don't need to see). 

U-verse needs IGMP v3. Putting an active v2 device inline may (usually, at least in our Lab) cause the picture to freeze periodically.

I tried a Cisco SLM2008, an eight-port web managed switch that supports IGMPv2 and port mirroring. Other "real" / commercial switches were tried as well (v3 mode disabled) with the same result.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you all for the responses!  I think I'll put the coax/splitter option in my back pocket for now (using it if the switch option doesn't pan out), especially since I just received the ethernet switch I'd ordered yesterday, and give the switch option a try first.

If indeed any quality/connectivity issues are avoided I'll keep the switch in place and use the in-wall coax cable in the other direction, feeding video from the coax OUT on the back of the receiver back over to my Mac mini (which is right next to the RG) so I can try and view/capture video via the EyeTV Hybrid TV tuner I have hooked-up to it.

If I run across any issues with either setup I'll be sure to post back here.

Thanks again to those who responded!

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

13 years ago

FYI:  The network switch I put in place (see below) seems to be working well.  Have watched a couple hours-worth of HD programming with it hooked up and there haven't been any problems video or audio-wise at all (no stuttering, no signal loss, etc.). 

Zonet 8-port 10/100Mbps Switch ZFS3018P

Specs:

http://www.zonetusa.com/products-93.aspx

Buy:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052104&p_id=1935&seq=1&format=2

Thanks again, everyone, for all the input!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.