PHOnos's profile

Scholar

• 

95 Messages

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 3:08 AM

Closed Captions freezing and then disappearing

Howdy all-- I am at wits end with my problem. I sent the following to ATT Closed Captioning e-mail and got an autobot reply to use the online tech service. I did so, and they walked me through a "disaster recovery" reset (not using the reset button, but dowloading and flashing the operating system software for the box) with them finally referring me to ATT ICU (what the heck is ICU, Intensive Care Unit?) Any Ideas from forum people appreciated greatly.

Hello: I am profoundly deaf and must use closed captioning on my televisions. I have had and currently have a serious and annoying problem with one of the set top boxes (Motorola HD DVR). The closed captioning begins and runs for any where from 1-10 minutes, then freezes (sometimes in mid-sentence) and does not pick up again. The Philips HD TV is connected to the set-top box by means of a HDMI cable. The only way to regain the closed captions are to either switch channels and then switch back to the channel I was watching; or do a quick (7-second) backspace of the program, then captions will be there for the part that was not captioned. It will then run captions for a while, then freeze again. I can record a few minutes of a program and then replay it. However, the recorded closed captions will eventually freeze and disappear even in recorded programs. As I said, I know the captions are being sent by the programmers and by the U-verse system because they are being recorded. I also checked some local channels using my antenna when the U-Verse captions disappear and they are being sent and read by the over-the-air television HDTV tuner.

The following have not solved the problem -- - turning on both digital (high definition) and analog (standard definition). - turning captioning to digital off and analog on and vice versa. - re-setting the set-top box. - restarting the set-top top box by disconnecting and reconnecting power. - resenting/restarting U-verse 3800HGV-8 modem. - calling ATT help line and re-performing the above steps several times. - having a service call by ATT U-verse technician, xxxxxx xxxx who again performed the above steps.

He then did the following -- - determined that there could be a low signal problem with the Time Warner Cable installation which was used when the system was installed over a year ago. - replaced the RG television cable connected the set top box that was having problems with a direct connection to the modem by means of an Ethernet CAT-5 cable ($55 service installation charge) and replaced the second set top box (Motorola) (which was not having problems) with a Cisco, wireless set top box (which works well) with the Cisco transmitter connected directly to the modem. - returned the next day, when notified that all his work on the system was for naught, and personally saw the problems for himself. He then obtained a new work order from his supervisor and replaced the Motorola HD DVR. We then watched and waited until the same freezing and drop out again. We check the over-the-air signal and found that the captions were being transmitted by the station and could be seen on the U-verse system if the program was re-wound 7-seconds. We both then agreed there was nothing more he could do to solve the problem and that he would report it to ATT. I said I would also report it, which I am doing in this e-mail.

I really know little about how the system works, but offer the follow information and suggestions -- - the problem appears to only occur on the one set top box (Motorola VIP1225/297; (Current Serial No. Mxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bootstrap ROM 1.1027, TV2 Client Version 2.1.2295.10), not on the second SDTV installation using the Cisco box. - because the captioning signal is present on the U-Verse feed, the problem appears to be in the hardware software/firmware in the set top box that uses the signal and is probably present in all boxes of the same Motorola model available to ATT service in this area. With my very limited knowledge of digital electronics, hardware, software/firmware, programming, etc., I suggest it could be a glitch not allowing the used captioning to be dumped and thus loads up the buffer until it can store no more captioning data. I am very anxious to have this problem solved ASAP.

Please forward this e-mail to the appropriated department for resolution.

Thank you very much, in advance, for your prompt attention to this problem.

-PHOnos

Edited for easier reading

Scholar

• 

95 Messages

12 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:
I know he replaced it once, but since it's on one box and not the other it seems that the box is the problem.

I would call tech support and have them come replace the DVR again It's possible you simply have a bad one.

One more time you are correct.

The CC is running on the HDTV just peachy-keen using the Cisco.

But, the DVR worked for 2-3 hours on the SDTV and then had the "red X" on screen, tried a "disaster recovery" reboot and it froze in the middle of the download, and went to "red X" of death.  Tried reboot again, worked, watched TV for about 20 minutes, picture froze, decided to go bed, turned off TV (cannot turn off DVR) and started recover again.  When I woke up this morning turned on TV, "red X" is back.

Tech scheduled to be here 1200-1600 PST with another DVR.

Last chance before Time-Warner Cable (sucks) returns.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Fingers crossed. Smiley Wink

Scholar

• 

95 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for crossing your fingers, spd2demum, it worked.

Hard drive had failed completely in box replaced two weeks ago.  I know, I know I should have listened to you folks but it is like pulling teeth to get ATT to send another tech to come out since one was here for two days and didn't solve the closed captioning problem (and I was P.O.'ed at the folks in Mumbai).

It appears the closed captioning problem was both of the former Motorola 1225 STB's.  So far the DVR has not lost captioning on HD channels (at least when they are running on SDTV connected to box by standard video and audio cables).

We shall see. Stand by.

-TWC (sucks)

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the update PHOnos and glad your closed caption problems are fixed with the new DVR. Smiley Happy

Scholar

• 

95 Messages

12 years ago

Well, the new DVR has lost the captions on HD channels just like before.  It has got to be the last ATT TV2 software update, I guess.  So I guess I leave it on the SDTV until the next update and see what happens then.  As I said before, the wireless Cisco running a different revision of TV2 does not lose the captioning on the HD channels.

After Christmas and New Years are over, I'll call TWC(sucks).

FWIW - The tech who was here today said the new 2250 Motorola DVRs are not available to them in SoCal.  According to him, the only way to get one is to somehow convince ATT you can install the system yourself and have them send you the hardware.  Only sales -- not service has access.

Edit:  Corrected 2250

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. 

I could not get the larger HDD one in my area (though apparently they're handing them out like candy in Dallas).  With the old model, I'm getting CC on HD just fine.  I have always had problems with the big 3 networks, though, and just attributed that to being their problem, not UV's.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

12 years ago

Bummer, and I should have known better to say glad you found a fix before you tried the HD channels. Probably just a coincidence your DVR went out/failed at the same time the latest upgrade started causing your closed caption problems. Slobeavis has been around the closed captioning problems for a while, said he thought it was a software problem with the latest upgrade, and believe he must be right.

I was really disappointed the latest U-verse upgrade did not include an easier access to closed captions, let alone causing additional problems for the deaf and/or hard of hearing. Unbelievable.

Here's a couple things I'd do PHOnos. First contact David as has been already mentioned before. Send him an email starting with "Troubles w/UVerse.." in the link. Someone from his team of excellent Tier 2 agents should contact you next week. Social Media are often the first employees who will be aware of these type problems and escalate them up the hierarchy.

I'd also contact sales and talk them into shipping you the VIP2250 as a replacement DVR even if it's not available yet in your area. This may be a temporary fix but you never know. I realize you wife will need to talk to them but have her stress you depend on closed captioning for your TV communications and can't understand the U-verse TV programming without them. I'd also ask that they waive the typical $105 upgrade fee for the 2250 since how cruel to offer you closed captioning and then take it away. If you can move the different set top boxes/DVR's around the house surely you can install a new DVR since good cabling is already in place. It's all worth a try.

As SomeJoe already pointed out eventually all U-verse boxes will eventually be running the same TV client (2.1.2295.10) software version. So it may be temporary fix if you get the 2250.

You may also want to contact "Closed Caption Contact Information" at the below link. AT&T U-verse TV contacts are listed towards the bottom. Some of these same contacts also listed on the last page of your U-verse bill.

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=10219

While this may seem like a lot of work you said you don't want to leave U-verse and go to TW. Don't hold your breath waiting for another large upgrade to fix this problem since they are few and far between. But they can push out smaller upgrades if they know there are problems and develop a fix. In addition to helping yourself you may also help others who have hearing disabilities and subscribe to U-verse TV service.

Good luck, keep us posted, and I'm starting to screen different HD channels to see if I'm seeing the same closed caption freezing/cut-off problems.

Scholar

• 

95 Messages

12 years ago

I will try and contact David, as you say.  The e-mail address at the bottom of the U-V bill is the one I have sent 3 e-mails to and, for the last 2-weeks only received  autobot replys to go to the chat help. 
@Uniblurb3 wrote:

Good luck, keep us posted, and I'm starting to screen different HD channels to see if I'm seeing the same closed caption freezing/cut-off problems.

I really appreciate that.  Maybe some others folk, as a favor to me, would, when they are not actually watching TV (I know it is a P in the A because it covers up part of the picture)  they would turn on the standard CC on their DVR running the same TV2 revision and let it run for 3-hours (or whatever, longer is better for it to show up).  If they would do this on their local ABC station HD channel during a long local newscast (this is when I was able to show techs that captioning was being booadcast OTA) so much the better, and then report their results here.  Really would be appreciated here.  Also even better again if they are in the area that receives the programming guide updates from IRV2 (I think it is that -- ATT Irvine, CA operations)

Edited to add last thought.

-TWC(sucks)

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

I keep CC on all the time and haven't noticed it disappearing today.  I'm catching up on Recodings now (Premiums).

As stated before, my disappearing act happens mostly on the big 3 networks; they're all running football right now and I don't do sports. Smiley Happy

Will keep an eye out for you with the programs I do watch today.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

12 years ago

@PHOnos wrote:
I will try and contact David, as you say.  The e-mail address at the bottom of the U-V bill is the one I have sent 3 e-mails to and, for the last 2-weeks only received  autobot replys to go to the chat help. 
@Uniblurb3 wrote:

I really appreciate that.  Maybe some others folk, as a favor to me, would, when they are not actually watching TV (I know it is a P in the A because it covers up part of the picture)  they would turn on the standard CC on their DVR running the same TV2 revision and let it run for 3-hours (or whatever, longer is better for it to show up).  If they would do this on their local ABC station HD channel during a long local newscast (this is when I was able to show techs that captioning was being booadcast OTA) so much the better, and then report their results here.  Really would be appreciated here.  Also even better again if they are in the area that receives the programming guide updates from IRV2 (I think it is that -- ATT Irvine, CA operations)

Edited to add last thought.

-TWC(sucks)

That's terrible if the U-verse closed captioning email tech support sites auto-direct you to go to a chat session for CC problems. The chat reps are some of the misinformed reps in the whole system, read totally from a script, and wouldn't have a clue to the problems you're experiencing.

I kind of figured when they pulled the CC complaints from Washington, DC, and sure didn't want them going to their "home" headquarters in Dallas, they would strand them in the middle of the country (St. Louis, MO) to be not addressed or ignored. Nothing against St. Louis, just can't understand why they placed the CC complaint center there.

I'll continue to screen the HD channels/DVR recording and let you know what I find. Haven't noticed any freezing/cut-off's yet.

Spd is a good one for noticing/screening for CC problems like that. Smiley Wink

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.