tavara6's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, January 20th, 2012 11:50 AM

Cisco wireless receiver known issue with playback of recorded content

The wireless STB has a known issue that T needs to address. When viewing recorded content, either SD or HD, the message "Press OK to See Your Recording" appears about every 5 minutes in a white box at the bottom of the screen. The only way to rectify is to press OK, which brings you to the recorded content menu. You then have to select the show you are watching and press Resume Play.  Im returning this box for a refund.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

So I have had it with these wireless boxes.  I have called tech at least 9 timessince i've had the boxes and 5 times in the last week.  Today a tech came out and didnt even bother to change anything.  He said the system was fine and didnt have any problems.  He didnt seem to be too worried that we told him our 2 wireless boxes keep resetting or losing the signal even though the boxes have 5 bars. The guy on tech support when i called didnt bother to want to help.  he seem to want to try to get me back on wired boxes.  I have been with uverse for 2 years and until now have had great service.  I'm done with these boxes and I'm gonna call directv tomorrow to switch. 

Is there a reason that the Techs who come out give you a sheet with their numbers on them?  The only time i ever got a call back was when I threaten to cancel the service about a 2 and a half weeks ago.  Besides that my 4 other calls were never returned.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

12 years ago

I think it has alot to do with Supply and demand.. Their Demand is so great, that they dont have enough good trained technicians. The last tech to come out to my house had only been on the Job Solo for a couple of months.. And I the guy told me the reason my Wifi Boxes where not working correctly was because of my cordless telephone.. Now, Yes I can believe that "Wireless Device" Conflict can happen. But Seriously? Your gonna mean to tell me I need to replace my Cordless telephone and then my Wireless Boxes are going to work.. HA! But Yea Im so tired of this DVR Press OK Button deal while im watching something that has been recorded. Happens nearly every time I was a Show on my Wifi Box from the DVR. Sad thing is they Tech told be that shows up because it looses connection with the DVR.. I said if that was the case then my Show that im watching should Jerky, or Stop or something. But it carry's on like nothing ever happened.. So the guy leaves saying nothing he can do about it and told me to change out any and all wireless device in my house. Luckily I found this forum, and found that its a firmware issue which made me feel better.. But why doesn't CSR and the Techs Know about this. Would of made life so much easier. BTW anyone know of when the fix for this will happen?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

No ETA has been given for when the firmware will be updated, but it is a known issue that they are working on.  It will be fixed.  The recent firmware update for the Cisco ISB 7500 and Motorola VIP 2500 seems to have solved the rebooting issues that some were experiencing.  All we can do is be patient and wait or not be patient.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I'd rather cancel than wait for them to do a firmware update.  If there was a probelm they should have fixed it asap and not waited for me to cancel to call last chance support.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@bigtrojaned wrote:

I'd rather cancel than wait for them to do a firmware update.  If there was a probelm they should have fixed it asap.

Do whatever you feel is best.  

In a perfect world, your comment would be correct.  The reality is that no equipment or software is bug free, and problems can be found after equipment or software is released.  It's just a reality of life.  Otherwise, there would never be any product recalls or bug fixes released for software.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Having the same issue and just got UVerse at the end of April.  It is extremely annoying.  Not only do I get that message at the bottom, my boxes need to be rebooted, and the remote rarely works.  It makes me really regret changing companies.  Once the summer dies down, I will be getting the wired boxes and hope that works.  I definitely won't be recommending UVerse and the wireless boxes to anyone until this gets fixed.

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

@brijac1 wrote:

Having the same issue and just got UVerse at the end of April.  It is extremely annoying.  Not only do I get that message at the bottom, my boxes need to be rebooted, and the remote rarely works.  It makes me really regret changing companies.  Once the summer dies down, I will be getting the wired boxes and hope that works.  I definitely won't be recommending UVerse and the wireless boxes to anyone until this gets fixed.

There seems to be no fix for this.  I think the original intent of the wireless box was to transmit across a room.  Then somewhere along the way, someone (in Sales, I'm sure) said, "Hey, what if it could work anywhere in the house?"  My WAP is on the other side of a wall about 4 feet from the receiver, and it works most of the time.  Sometimes HD playback stutters, and sometimes I hit the "recorded tv" button to find that there are no recordings, and then I reboot the system.  

I've found that the whole Uverse system works best if you can reboot every single device about once every two weeks, in a sequence like this:  

• Everything off (that means disconnecting the power cord for the STBs)--including any network switches, computers, and other network/Internet devices, then give all the stuff a couple minutes for their capacitors to drain residual electricity.
  • Power on the RG, give it a few minutes to boot and get an IP address, 
  • Power on the DVR and give it a few minutes,
  • Power on the wired STBs, then the WAP and finally the wireless STB.  
  • Finally, if applicable, power on any network switches and turn the computer(s) and any other network/Internet devices back on.  

Since I have four wired STBs and one wireless STB, plus a switch, a file server, and three more computers, as well as two Roku boxes and a Vizio TV with Internet apps and the new no-computer-required MagicJack VOIP phone service, the whole process takes a good twenty minutes or so.

Maybe one day wireless technology will catch up with wireless imagination.  For now, the only answer is to have your house wired with Cat 5e on at least two walls of every room and a central communications/entertainment closet in the center of the house.  Some really rich people I know have that in their $2 million high rise apartment condo.  It's very nice.  Problem is, people who can afford all that stuff often can't figure out or remember how to work it.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

While I do not have any wireless recievers, I will say that the only device in my U-verse setup that I feel needs periodic reboots is the DVR.  I used to reboot it every two weeks to keep it from having problems recording shows.  That problem went away with the last major update, but there are still similar gremlins that a regular reboot seems to cure.  The reboot takes about 5 minutes.

I run my RG 24/7 for months on end without issue.

I run my STB's 24/7 for months without reboot unless I use the Media Player, in which case they may need to be rebooted after many hours of MP3 playback.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

12 years ago

I'm having the same problem here with the Press OK banner. I had a wired box that had a bad coax, and the tech replaced it with a wireless box. I got the Press OK message while watching recorded shows often. Last week, I finally had a tech come back out. He replaced the STB, WAP, RG and outside box. The DVR is still original connected directly to the RG with Cat 5. The wireless WAP is also direct connected to the RG. The only other wired devices on the RG are a desktop PC near it and a Bluray player near the TV.

I have the same issues still. I get full bars on the wireless box, but get the Press OK often when watching recorded shows. I'm wondering if I put a switch on the RG that had just the DVR and WAP for the wireless box, maybe they would be able to talk better without going through the RG? I'm also thinking of putting a wireless switch with 4 ethernet ports to use in bridge mode and connect all non TV connections through it and turn off the RG wireless to cut down on it's traffic. Maybe that would tell me something and allow me to keep UVERSE. At this point my wife hates itbecause we can't ever watch a show in the living room and have to have the whole family in our bedroom watching anything recorded.

Has anyone solved it yet?

Dennis_H

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

I suspect that the signal strength indicator on the wireless STB is overly optimistic.  I had four bars and got the "Press OK..." message all the time.  It is only after I moved the WAP REALLY CLOSE to the receiver that the problem went away.  So, anything you can do to get the WAP closer will help, IMO.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.