tavara6's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, January 20th, 2012 11:50 AM

Cisco wireless receiver known issue with playback of recorded content

The wireless STB has a known issue that T needs to address. When viewing recorded content, either SD or HD, the message "Press OK to See Your Recording" appears about every 5 minutes in a white box at the bottom of the screen. The only way to rectify is to press OK, which brings you to the recorded content menu. You then have to select the show you are watching and press Resume Play.  Im returning this box for a refund.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

OK, after a month of the same problems everyone else is describing, after numerous phone calls and TWO techs coming out, after replacing the box and the WAP, and the patch cord,  I just completed an on line chat with a tech support rep, and was told that there is an upgraded box with added firmware available. It is being shipped to me this week. I asked why no one else mentioned this, as I also did a "disaster recovery" on Friday. and when was this new box made available. He said he did not have that information. I specifically asked if the NEW box will be different than the previous two, and was told YES. I cannot wait for it to come. It makes sense that this has been the root problem all along. This gives me hope, but we shall see what happens.

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

Curious about the signal strength, I used two pieces of information I've gathered over time.

1.  Sometimes things that shouldn't work, do anyway.

2.  The regular STB has an RJ45 jack.  If the STB is connected to the system via coax, then that Ethernet port functions as though part of a network switch or hub.  I've used it in the past where I had a weak wireless signal to a Roku box.  It will also work if you have a Blu-Ray player with built-in streaming but without wifi.  You just connect the Ethernet port on the Blu-ray player to the RJ45 connection on the back of the STB.

So...I decided to try connecting my WAP to the RJ45 port on the back of my kitchen STB, which happens to be on the other side of the same wall as our "big" TV and wireless STB in the living room. 

First thing I noticed was five bars on the wireless STB.  Considering that the WAP was only about four feet away, albeit on the other side of a gypsum and travertine wall, I would hope the signal was good.  So I tried playing back a two hour program on H2.  Since I was doing something else, I just started it and muted the sound.  Every half hour or so, I came back to check on it.

Previously, within 10 minutes or so, but always within half an hour, I had the bar at the bottom of the screen with the dreaded "Press OK to browse..."  This time it played all the way through without the bar.  Last night, watched a one hour recorded program.  No problem.  Tonight, watched another one hour program.  All the way with no problem.

My conclusion?  If you can get the WAP close enough that the signal is very strong, the wireless STB works just fine playing back from the DVR.  Question is, if the WAP has to be within four feet of the wireless STB, then what's the point?  I'm going to look into the new version of the wireless STB, but this will do for now.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

After another SNAFU with a wrong address issue, the "new" box was finally delivered today. Honestly, was not expecting a miracle, and, SURPRISE!, didn't get one. Same issues, same problems with box #3. Spoke with tech support, again, re-booted the RG, changed the frequency, etc. to no avail. I am pretty close to giving up on the wireless box, but it will be a major hassle to go back to cable the way my TV is mounted. I don't know what else to do at this point. Any suggestions??

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I've had this same problem since my install in early January. Signal strength is not an issue. I have a direct, line-of-sight view of the transmitter about 15 feet away.

Has AT&T mentioned anything about a firmware upgrade for the current STBs?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@hutchk wrote:

I've had this same problem since my install in early January. Signal strength is not an issue. I have a direct, line-of-sight view of the transmitter about 15 feet away.

Has AT&T mentioned anything about a firmware upgrade for the current STBs?

Yes, I saw a post on the U-verse Facebook from another customer who has the same issue.  He was contacted by someone from AT&T who indicated that this is a known issue and a firmware update is being created.  No ETA was given for the release of the update.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

MY "new" box, the 3rd box, was supposed to have the upgraded firmware, according to the agent on my on-line chat. If it did, it still doesn't work correctly. It's difficult to believe ANYONE at this point. But I am still not ready to give up.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@ragcat612 wrote:

MY "new" box, the 3rd box, was supposed to have the upgraded firmware, according to the agent on my on-line chat. If it did, it still doesn't work correctly. It's difficult to believe ANYONE at this point. But I am still not ready to give up.

As far as I know, there is no updated firmware available.  The current firmware version on wireless boxes is 2.0.1047.45.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

12 years ago

😞 I have 2 Wireless boxes.. Each of them Randomly do the same thing.. Tech Support has replaced both of them twice now. And my WAP, and Basically everything.. I have a Complete new System New RG, New STB, and new Wiring... Its gotta be a software bug. this has been going over well over a month or more.... Im loosing faith with uverse.. Ive been with them since 2008 and up until last year ive loved them... but this past year has been nothing but issues... bad issues...

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

12 years ago

Ive got three cat5 wired stb's and one wireless. The wireless shows four bars. It plays back quite well and is more responsive than the older silver STB's but it gets the press ok error quite often...sometimes continuously. None of the wired receivers have this problem. I've rebooted dvr and rg to no avail. I do have the wireless STB hanging off of a switch. I'll try to swap it and report any improvement. Hope AT&T has a fix to us soon.

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

12 years ago

verynate wrote:
Ive got three cat5 wired stb's and one wireless. The wireless shows four bars. It plays back quite well and is more responsive than the older silver STB's but it gets the press ok error quite often...sometimes continuously. None of the wired receivers have this problem. I've rebooted dvr and rg to no avail. I do have the wireless STB hanging off of a switch. I'll try to swap it and report any improvement. Hope AT&T has a fix to us soon.

In my working with it, it wasn't the connection to the WAP that mattered, only getting the WAP close enough to the wireless receiver.  Once I got five bars, it was OK.  And the way I got them was using the wired (coax) STB in the next room (other side of the common wall) as a network switch, connecting the WAP to the Ethernet port on the STB.

I'm not very happy with this setup either, though.  It should work at distances greater than five feet!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.