For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Gryffindor1971's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Sunday, October 29th, 2017 1:02 AM

Can the Screen Saver be deactivated or the time extended before it activates?

Is there any way to disable this bloody screen saver or extend the amount of "inactive time" before the thing self activates???? It makes me mental!!!!  If the press ok message popped up after 8-12 hours, it wouldn’t bother me as much... but it pops up for me after 2 hours of not touching my remote! Hello.... a movie can last well over 2 hours! I can’t stand watching something and then the thing pauses and up pops the screen saver because my remote has been inactive for 2 hours or even less some times!!! This is completely uncalled for! Why is this not a feature that we could deactivate or at least be able to EXTEND the amount of time before it pops up? When I and my family leave the house, we keep The TV on for our Dogs for background noise... this keeps them From raising a ton of noise and disturbing my neighbor’s... I have had animal control called because of my dogs barking like mad... if I get fined for noise disturbances, I'm sending the bill to AT&T!!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Is there any way to disable this bloody screen saver or extend the amount of "inactive time" before the thing self activates????

No!

...a movie can last well over 2 hours! I can’t stand watching something and then the thing pauses and up pops the screen saver...

That should not happen.  Only when the dvr is not playing and there is no  use of the remote should the device be considered as "idle".  Have you tried rebooting the dvr/receiver (pull plug for 15 secs.)?

When I and my family leave the house, we keep The TV on for our Dogs for background noise

There's no solution for that except I could suggest using a radio.  Another idea, assuming your dogs like to have a picture with their sound (smart dogs?) is get an over the air antenna and choose a local channel.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

ROFL.... YEAH, I do have smart dogs... but no, they don’t require pictures... that made me laugh... thanks... I did start using the radio if I knew we were going to be gone longer than a couple hours... as for rebooting the system, been there, done that... I still get a Screen Saver popup at strange intervals... guess there is nothing that can be done about it and will just have to live with it... the one thing that REALLY annoys me about it, a few times it has happened after I had "rewound" a show I had missed the 1st 15 minutes of and then I walk away during a commercial, come back and the Screen Saver has popped up... you can’t rewind the channel you are on after the Screen Saver pops up! So, you end up missing part of your show when this Happens! It’s annoying...

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I think pushing OK takes you out of screen saver mode and "back" to where you were.

Given that it's going into sleep in less than the 8 hours in unattended mode (no buttons pushed) I would suggest just asking tech support (800-288-2020) for a replacement.  If this is the dvr you will of course lose all your recordings but not your scheduling.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

Hmmm.... not worth losing the movies Ive recorded... there are 3 connected tv's in The house... the master bedroom has the master DVR and then the living room and my kids bedroom just have the regular boxes... it’s the livingroom where the screensaver pops up all the time... 

yes, pressing "Ok" returns you to the channel or show you were watching... but if you had rewound "live tv" it won’t return you to where you were... it returns you to live tv... *sigh* C’est la vie 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Just to clarify.  Your master bedroom has the dvr - no such thing as "master" dvr, there is only one dvr and it's the box wired to the gateway.  Your living room and kids bedroom just have the "regular" boxes.  You didn't say whether those "regular" boxes are wired or wireless but I assume they are wireless.  No matter, if it's not the dvr that's the problem you lose no recordings by replacing it.  All your recordings are stored on the one and only dvr since that's the one with the hard drive.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

6 years ago

If the LR receiver (regular STB) is the one with the issues, I'd do as @_xyzzy_ suggested.  Call CS and request a new box and see if that fixes the problem.  They'll ship you a new one for self-install. 

And again, you won't lose your recordings.  That only happens if you replace the DVR.  The only issue you might have is if it's not convenient to return the defective box to a UPS store.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

This is unacceptable problem and the "trouble shooter tool" app is not available!!!!

My dad has memory problems and he cant remember to click theOK button every 8 hours so he isnt stuck watching a screensaver. There needs to be a way to disable the screensaver..

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

I agree with you completely... and just so you know, you have to use something on your remote every FOUR hours, not eight... there should be a way to not have a bloody screen saver if you don’t want it... what aggravates me about the screen saver most is if I have rewound a show and the screen saver pops up I can’t go back to where the show left off thanks to the screen saver! It will start at the actual time on the DVR and not where you were at if you had rewound a show! It’s completely ignorant to not be able to turn the screen saver off...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

AT&T!!!! Comcast XFinity let’s me turn off the screen saver on their X1 receiver.  Why can’t I turn it off on U-verse????  If I can, how???

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Ok wait a minute, it seems you suggested that replacing my box could solve the problem, if the screen saver is something that’s internal set by at&t then how is replacing the box going to fix the problem. Are you saying that this is actuall a slight defect in the equipment and replacement should solve it. Personally I don’t need or want AT&T determining when my tv is been on too long and should be off.  It’s ridiculous a sleep by my tv and it going dead wakes me up out of sound sleep and then I have to wake up to find the remote so I can push ok ang hopefully go back to sleep. This strangely reminds me of hospital care when they wake you up to see if your sleeping.  I’ve never had this stupid situation on any other tv service and I swear I’ve had unversed for quiet a while before I ever noted this happening.  I would much rather be told this was a defect that springs up occasionally get a new box sent and it won’t happen again until,next time 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.