Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tue, Feb 23, 2016 2:56 AM

Audio Pass Through Stuttering

I'm having an issue with audio skipping when my receiver is on pass through. Everything works fine if I'm watching with my external speakers but if I have the receiver off or set the audio to be played through the tv in the avr settings the audio will skip, video is fine. I have a denon x2100w connected to a samsung f5300. The problem only showed up when I had to get a new dvr, everything worked fine with the old dvr, I believe it was the motorola 1225? The new dvr is the IPH8010 model. 

I've tried replacing the hdmi cables from the box to the receiver and the receiver to the tv with brand new ones, (video was also stuttering heavily with the old hdmi cable I had connected, but it was resolved when I replaced the hdmi cable.) I've also tried switching the audio format on the dvr from surround to stereo with no luck. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this?

Responses

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

4 years ago

@hndsmbwnderfl - Your problem is unusual if not unique. No previous experience.

Based solely on your description - could be a bad HDMI connection. You now have new cables. Make sure connections are well seated.

Try different HDMI inputs on the receiver & TV.

How about an optical toslink cable for audio from the DVR to the TV or receiver?

How about analog (red/white RCA) for audio from the DVR to the TV? Some TVs have an option for that audio with HDMI for video. Or, use component cable for video.

Try a direct connection DVR-TV just to see if it goes away.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the advice. The connections are good, and I've tried different inputs without success. It's definitely something to do with the receiver passing audio and video information to the tv at the same time, I just can't figure out what. If I plug the dvr directly into the tv everything is fine. It's strange that the problem only surfaced when I got the new dvr... did they change hdmi formats with the iph8010? Denon suggested changing the audio decoding mode but this did not help.

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

4 years ago

@hndsmbwnderfl - To find out if it is the DVR causing the problem, swap it with another STB.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I absolutely would if I had access to another one 😃

aviewer

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

4 years ago

@hndsmbwnderfl - OK, I guess you are down to doing something with analog or optical toslink for audio or calling in for repair to have the DVR replaced.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Just curious if you were able to solve this problem. I have the same denon and U-verse box and I am having the exact same problem.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Unfortunately I was not able to figure it out and just gave up as I use the
speakers most of the time anyway. I never tried using optical or analog
cables though, didn't really want to either. I did switch to a different
cable provider and no longer have the problem though, so I feel like it is
definitely something to do with the AT&T box.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I have the exact same problem with a Denon AVR-X8500H.  I initially replaced a Marantz SR8102 that Marantz deem defective after replacing HDMI cables and adding HDMI repeaters that did not resolve the issue.  My old Marantz SR5008 works fine with the iph8010.  When I discovered the Denon unit had the same problem (Marantz & Denon are sister companies using the same technology), I investigated further using the ATT Scientific Atlantic IPN330HD slaved receiver to the iph8010.  It works fine with Denon, no choppy audio.  ATT tried a firmware upgrade to no avail.  ATT going to replace the iph8010.  I doubt it will resolve as I presume it is probably a chipset architecture problem.  I will update the board.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

I've had that same exact problem with my Denon  receiver and the Pace dvr since day one. It has to be some incompatibility issue between the two because when I connect one of my other (Motorola) boxes, the sound is just fine while on the pass-through. I tried every kind of setting change on the Denon and the Pace Dvr to no avail. I finally gave up and just watch TV with the Denon receiver on. I'd love it if there were a solution. BTW, I've had a Pace IPH8110 and a Pace IPH8010, and they both had the same problem. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Same exact problem here. Denon AVR-X3300W and Pace IPH8010. Over past 3 years tried 3 different times and same problem. First two times with my Denon AVR-X1100W and today with my new Denon 3300W. Spoke extensively with Crutchfield tech support (where I bought the Denon) and with Denon Tier 3 support. Ended up keeping my Motorola VIP2250 box at the end of the day which works perfectly fine but just not as "advanced" as the Pace IPH8010. ATT will NEVER admit to this but it is a problem with their box cuz they are cutting corners going with cheaper manufacturers putting cheap chipset architecture problem like jlsenter was saying. Denon basically said the hdmi power/signal specs barely if even meet mandatory specs for the market and does not have the signal strength/integrity to make it past an inline device like a receiver.  Anyone else wondering about this problem don't bother wasting your time as it is clear from my experience and all the responses read here that it is definitely and ATT problem and they will not do anything about it. Try to get to higher tier att tech support and ask for them to send you a VIP2250 box which will work. Even reference this thread if you have to as they may try to say the VIP box won't work with your service, IT WILL. Until they get newer updated boxes from a different manufacturer this will continue to be a problem. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

AT&T sent me a VIP2250 with half the storage (HD instead of SS, give me a break) to replace the IPH8010. Couldn't get the VIP2250 to recognize the service.  Sent VIP2250 back to AT&T and kept all our IPH8010 DVR storage. Took the IPH8010 to another TV (without receiver) and used the Scientific Atlantic (cisco) slave on the Denon AVR-X8500H. Works fine. Just a little slow since it has to ask the IPH8010 for recorded content.

• 

1 Message

a month ago

Have same issue with our Dennon AVR-X1300W and Pace (2Wire) IPH8005 DVR box.  Tried all troubleshooting variables but not component video cables, that would defeat the purpose of having the Dennon with ARC and pass-through architecture.  Got off phone with Customer Service and no luck rebooting box (I tried that 3 times myself), re-installing the software for the DVR box.  AT&T will be sending me a new one.  From what the other threads say, that probably won't work.  If so I'll have to try and get an older Motorola box.

Get started...

Ask a new question