Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
abrad321's profile
abrad321
Helpful 1
#1 Star!
Supersonic 25!

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

Sat, Aug 22, 2015 11:30 PM

What should I do when my Uverse promotion expires?

Hi,

This is the time of year that I always stress out and dread.....calling all Cable/Satellite companies negotiating my yearly bill.  It's always a big hassle.

My Uverse TV/Internet bundle deal is expiring in 20 days. I've been happy for one whole year with no issues and it's been a dream. My monthly bill was good too.

What is the best way to negotiate with ATT Uverse to keep my bill very near to what it is currently without threatening to leave and fighting, etc.? I just want the bottom price without having to get stressed. Usually I deal with retentions and call many times asking for managers, etc. before I get someone that will give me a decent deal. Is that my best bet again?

Do I just call 1-800-288-2020 and ask for billing and they transfer me to retentions and then I fight it out?

I want to know what type of a price hike I'm talking about before I start calling around other companies. Is it possible to get that bottom line price with one phone call and without threatening to leave or stressing out? lol

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience or any suggestions of the best way to do this. Thought I'd get a head start before starting to make calls next week.

abrad321

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

5 y ago

I have been so busy today but just sat down ready to tackle AT&T and this bill that went up 62.44. I just called AT&T at 9PM. Automatic answering guy said AT&T billing is closed. I then did a chat and guy said billing is open on chat and on the phone. I told him I was told it was closed on the phone. He tried to help but best he could do is tell me I'm back to basic plan with no promotions and no promotions he can put me on and he said I could sign up to be alerted if any new promos come open. W T H !?

Guess I'll have to find time tomorrow. I just don't have all this time to be calling back and forth. It's a day's worth of work and sometimes takes 2 days. Gahhhhhhh, I hate this coming off promo.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 y ago

When I called I made sure I went straight to the customer retention department. Have you been able to speak with someone directly from there?
abrad321

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

5 y ago

I usually do that too. If billing tries to help you before sending you there, all they do is ask what you like to watch and what you do on the internet. Then they put you on hold for 5 minutes so they can look to see what they have available. Never, ever have they ever come back to say we have this great deal for you to keep you where you are....never. They either want to take things away or instead of the 62.44 increase that you just got, they say they can reduce your bill by 20.00 in hopes of you thinking they did good and you got a deal.

I guess if they go up 62.44 and if they get your bill down by 20.00, you will think you did good.

I'm like you, talking to billing is just wasting your time when they really don't have authority to do anything. Yep, go straight to retentions.

Thing is, I do this for my 80 year old mom and Time Warner every year so I'm doubly frustrated each year. There has got to be a better way. I wonder if some people just pay the higher bill. Maybe that's why they do such an increase....to balance out those that call in and fight it? Oh well, I pay my bill on time each year and never call and complain. I'm a nice quiet happy customer...it's just the calling in once a year that I dread.

Thanks for the advice.

abrad321

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

5 y ago

Well the very best they'd do is a $5.00 increase from my last bill so I'm paying $60.00 more a year. I'm not excited about that but right now it'll have to do. What I may end up doing is wait for a great promo for new customers and then call AT&T back up and come in as a new customer since right now my account is in my mom's name. She can cancel her acct and I can start a new one. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for new promos this weekend. I'll just have to go through the hassle of exchanging all the equipment and getting new equipment installed....but if it saves me money then you gotta do what you gotta do. I keep a tight budget. $5.00 increase might not sound too bad to some but it adds up.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

I have just found out that the best way to do it is to go in to an ATT store.  I was able to cancel and my wife get a new account, which is a little more than half the money for a better plan.  The down side is losing whatever was recorded.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

I called today, braced to have to cancel our Uverse.  I told the automated guy I needed retention, please (yes, I even try to be nice to the computers), I was connected immediately with a person in retention.  I honestly explained our situation (bill was going up $40) and that we just simply could not afford the increase.  I asked her if she could check for any promotions or discounts that would help my family save some money.  She decreased my bill from $162/month to $108/month. No trying to upsell, no trying to switch me over to DirectTV.  And she was super happy about helping me. How is that for help?  We only have U200 and Internet (which is more tv than we actually watch), but to get such a great discount, I thought that with all of the negative stuff happening to many Uverse patrons, I would share a positive.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

Don't forget that you are billed a month I advance. Shoo you will know your cost well inn advance of your proactive actions.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

There are currently several lawsuits against AT&T and other companies for offering new customers better rates than they offer to their loyal long-term customers. It's easy to change services these days so not sure why they do not make it even more appealing to stay with them.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

Hello, I have been through this before, you may have to go with another cable company for 2 years, then come back, you have to go back and forth unfortunately they dont offer deals for existing customers. Just remember other cable companies do not get One America News channel, you will need to get it thru Zuru , but if you do not change to another cable company for 2 years, and then come back, you will be paying very high prices , sad but true  hope that helps 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

@bbhogh - What lawsuits??

You cannot sue AT&T per the agreement you entered into when you signed up for service, only option is 'binding arbitration' or small claims court and no options of class action suits.

See this article as an example: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/06/att-uses-forced-arbitration-to-overcharge-customers-senators-say/

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

4 y ago

Go with Sling tv

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.