Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
abrad321

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

Sat, Aug 22, 2015 11:30 PM

What should I do when my Uverse promotion expires?

Hi,

This is the time of year that I always stress out and dread.....calling all Cable/Satellite companies negotiating my yearly bill.  It's always a big hassle.

My Uverse TV/Internet bundle deal is expiring in 20 days. I've been happy for one whole year with no issues and it's been a dream. My monthly bill was good too.

What is the best way to negotiate with ATT Uverse to keep my bill very near to what it is currently without threatening to leave and fighting, etc.? I just want the bottom price without having to get stressed. Usually I deal with retentions and call many times asking for managers, etc. before I get someone that will give me a decent deal. Is that my best bet again?

Do I just call 1-800-288-2020 and ask for billing and they transfer me to retentions and then I fight it out?

I want to know what type of a price hike I'm talking about before I start calling around other companies. Is it possible to get that bottom line price with one phone call and without threatening to leave or stressing out? lol

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience or any suggestions of the best way to do this. Thought I'd get a head start before starting to make calls next week.

Responses

abrad321

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for your advice.

My thing is that I want my new 'deal' to start immediately after this current one gives out. I imagine after this promo gives out that my bill will jump up 50-100 dollars. That's what I'm trying to avoid also. I want all my ducks in a row and all homework done so I either leave or stay in 20 days. Research takes awhile. That's why I want my pricing now from AT&T so if not happy with their offer, I can start calling Direct TV, TW, WOW and others to get pricing now so that I have little gap in services.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think I signed a contract so not sure I'd be charged an additional 180 to break a contract. Is a year promo the same as a contract? That wouldn't really matter because I will use AT&T up till end of promo anyway. I would love to sign a 2 year contract if I can get a good price. Does AT&T Uverse have those? I wish this current price lasted 2 years. I'd be glad to sign any contract.

Yes, I've dealt with many retention departments....that's why I dread dealing with that again in 20 days. Having a 2 year deal would be great so I wouldn't have to call every year. lol

Thanks for your suggestions.

abrad321

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

5 years ago

Chris,

Very helpful info. with suggestion to contact ATT Customer Care. I will use that as my last resort if it comes to that.

Are y'all saying no one will talk to me about pricing until the day my current promo expires?  That would make it hard to do research when having to wait until that day.

There is no way to call now and see what deals they could put me on since so close to promo end?

I hate to be stuck the day promo ends without a internet/TV if I coudln't get satisfaction from AT&T and felt I had to leave. That's why I would like to call around now and be prepared with either leaving or staying....scheduling appointment with another company to hook me up and that type thing that needs to be done prior. That make sense?

If I leave, I'm trying to avoid that one last high bill charged at promo end while I do research. I want to be prepared now.

Thank you.

mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

5 years ago

@abrad321   There have been posts that users called and were told to call after the promo has ended. 

You won't be out of TV/Internet, it'll just go to regular pricing on Uverse. 

But remember all the other providers have teaser rates, but be aware of all the detail links you can click on.  Here Comcrap gives the DVR for 2 months @ $7.99  then it goes to $20-21. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

abrad321

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

5 years ago

Chris,

Thanks for the heads up.

I will just have to call around other companies prior and get rates now I guess. Believe me I'm careful. I'm almost too careful to a fault. I ask millions of quesitons, get peoples names & badge numbers, phone numbers and get things in writing and document everything. I know how things can go wrong. lol

I realize I wouldn't be without, but that 'regular pricing' is what I am trying to avoid. As I said it could be anywhere from 50-100+ dollars more for just that one 'regular' priced month. Yikes!! That's why I'd cancel and just be without instead of paying that huge increase coming off promo.

Like you say I will call the day promo ends if that is what they require. I will have to set aside that whole day to do nothing but deal with AT&T calling this person and that person in retentions and if not happy with the price then hopefully coming here and writing customer care. Then if still can't get a decent deal, I will cut off service and go elsewhere..

The thing is if I cancel, I would have liked to have another company scheduled to come out very soon after the day I cancel so there is no gap.  Perhaps I can go ahead and do research of other companies and go ahead and schedule an appt. just in case and to be on the safe side.

What is funny is that with a lot of cable companies, if you cancel your service with them, they will try hard to win you back with great deals only after you've already gone with another company. By then it's too late to come back. 🙂

Thanks again for your response. I appreciate it. It helps me to think and prepare.

lin2ann

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

{keep it courteous}

Maybe abrad321 wants to RETAIN his current package with the current price he is paying.  Because he obviously doesn't want to RETAIN his services based on the stellar customer service you have given him in your response.

abrad321

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

5 years ago

I have gotten stellar service this time around....Thanks AT&T!!  And I will tell others and recommend them.

Unfortunately I can't afford that at an extreme price so I am willing to move to another company if I need to. I'm not ashamed of that. I think many do this

I think we all want the best price and that includes me. These days we have other options and it's no longer a monopoly where we just have one company we have to deal with. We can negotiate with our other options. I call it being smart.

My mom, brother and sister all deal with Time Warner and have for years. They are happy with Time Warner. So there are other options out there with good customer service and products.

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

5 years ago

It does seem counter intuitive to have to wait until your discounts expire before you can call and see if you can continue them.

In my case, my present bill runs around 65 dollars a month, with the discounts.

My new customer discount status expires in mid september, and my bill will rise by about 45 dollars, to almost 95 dollars a month, for legacy DSL, home phone, and long distance.

They are really pushing me to sign up for DirecTv too, but frankly, its just too expensive for my limited budget.

Due to my limited income status, I'd LOVE to qualify for the 5-10 dollars per month internet, but alas, it seems, if you are already a customer, you can't get it.

The care team option I had not considered until you mentioned it, and one very worth pursuing when the time comes. Thanks for that.

Sigh, I sure wish this process was simpler, but I really can't afford "full price" so the notion of canceling service due to cost is very real.

As much as I hate giving up internet, I may have to go with just home phone service.

Sigh, onward to the future.  My ramble, your reality may vary.

abrad321

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks Tigereyze. I feel your pain and totally agree. It's my reality too. lol

Ever heard of OOMA? I purchased one about 5+ years ago and have never been happier. It's another option for home phone. Make all the calls you want, local and long distance for free. It's VOIP, but once you purchase the OOMA device, your monthly phone bills will be 3-4.00 per month. I forgot what the fee is for. Might be for a tax. Maybe that might help in your costs.

I purchased one a while back and I don't pay any fees at all. I have free phone for life of the OOMA device. But now with the newer devices, OOMA is charging a small monthly fee.

I was looking at DirectTV myself last night. There are quite a bit of promos you can get when first subscribing. You really have to study and do your homework though and make sure to read all the small print. For instance if you click thru Costco to signup for Direct, you get a 200.00 Costco gift card and then there are referrals and that type thing.

I have a cable company now that sends me promos all the time. They are called WOW, I believe they used to be Knowlegy. I will call them tomorrow and ask their internet rates. If you have them in your area they seem to have low prices on internet.

One website that might be helpful to you is whitefence.com. You put in your zip (maybe address) and it tells you all your internet, phone, cable options in your area.

Do you not have TV now? I could almost do without at this point but not quite ready. I think about it a lot though. lol

An app that I can't recommend enough is KODI. You can watch free movies, TV shows and even live TV on your TV (via Amazon Fire Stick) or by mirroring a device, tablet, phone or computer. Google it if you've never heard of it. If you're not tech suavy, you can even buy the Amazon Fire Stick from Ebay with Kodi already loaded on it. I loaded it myself and got the stick for 19.00....best investment ever.

Good Luck!!!

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

2.9K Messages

5 years ago

If you look on your bill you will see what your current discount is. Just add your discount(s) to your current bill and you'll know your amount after the promo expires. I called 2 weeks before my promo expired and was given a new and acceptable deal. The CS rep set it up to take effect when the old promo expired. So you don't have to wait until the day the promo expires to call.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
abrad321

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion.

Today I did go ahead and call the retention dept at AT&T and I was given another discount but it wasn't as good as I would have liked. I called a couple of times and spoke with 2 reps and got 2 different quotes.

I contacted the support here via message and a rep. called me tonight and he was able to lower it more to where it was acceptable. I'll pay a tad more but I'm okay with that plus I got 6mbps higher internet speed....not much to make a big difference but I'll take it. lol

He went ahead and started it effective today. I only had a couple of weeks left of my current deal so that was fine with me.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. Phew, I'm glad that's over with and now I don't have to deal with it for a whole other year.

Tigereyze209

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

5 years ago

@abrad321 while i appreciate the intent of your sugestion, the one imprtant detail you left out is, it uses your internet connection, meaning, you have to have (and pay for) internet` to use the phone service.

dropping home phone, and keeping the internet to use ooma still works out to spending more money, no matter how I work the math.

Interesting idea with the Direct for the costco discount.. mind you, nearest one to me is over 100 miles away, and I've never set foot in one in my life, not see any benifit to doing so.

I am more than happy to try other internet provides, just, they are not avaiable in my particvualr market. (trust me, I checked.)

To a very small extent, i watch some (very few) tv shows on my computer.  Gotta watch the gigbytes, however. I got dsl and those overage charges are killer.

The area of florida I live in is a tv dead zone. signals fly too high over our heads to pick any up short of an attena so high, the law will not allow us to put one up.

Where i live, Comcast has the legal monopoly for cable service. Only option, and it's expensive, and why I switched to att in the first place.

No other calbe allowed. (And why u-verse is not allowed, either.)

When you get down to it, my best, and really only option, is to try calling and see if I can leep the costs down. Otherwise, I WILL, alas, have to cancel my service. Just not an option.

Anyways, thank you so much for the feedback.

JohninFL

Scholar

• 

289 Messages

5 years ago

Sam's and BJS Wholesale clubs are also offering their members a $200 gift cards for Directv. The promotional pricing is only for 12 months than you go to regular pricing. DTV is offering NFL Sunday Ticket free for the first year with the two highest priced packages. Dish is currently offering a 2 year guaranteed price.

Legirons

Teacher

• 

38 Messages

4 years ago

I had the same experience as you.  My promotional discounts expire in three weeks, even though I could not retain the same discounts, I did get new ones that are acceptable. My new discounts are almost as good as the first but are for one year where the first was for two years. The CS reprehensive was very helpful.

tiger3110

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

4 years ago

Unfortunately, it appears AT&T will not budge on pricing. I talked to several different reps including sales, billing, and retention this past week and no one was willing to bring my current package back down near to my previous promotional pricing I was receiving.

I even explained to them to look at my record and see that I had a technician out at my place over 20 times this past year to fix issues with service that I was not receiving such as terrible internet speed and poor picture quality. FINALLY, after a year the service was acceptable but now I'm paying twice as much as before because my promo pricing expired. I find that completely unacceptable that they can't grant me my promotional pricing again for another year or two given that I wasn't receiving the service I was paying for to begin with. 

They didn't care after explaining this to them and said "call back in a month and maybe there'll be different package promotions for you." So I looked online today and notice that my previous package promo is still a current offer for new customers so there's obviously a disconnect between all the customer service teams at AT&T. Extremely frustrating situation and if they aren't willing to work with me on lowering my current pricing then I have no choice but to cancel altogether and go with their competitor in my area who's equivalent package without promo pricing is $50 cheaper with no contract, no pricing end date, etc. Seems like AT&T is losing big time here!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I hope you had better luck than I did........... customer service was AWFUL when my promotion went up. 

Get started...

Ask a new question