Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
H

• 

10 Messages

Sun, Jun 21, 2020 2:35 PM

Uverse signal lost

Honestly, this is getting annoying.   I have 3 receivers,  one is wired in via coax, one is about 15' from the main gateway box and the other about 30' from the gateway.   All have full wifi bars.  I've replaced all receivers at least twice and the gateway twice.   Why do I continue to get the Uverse signal lost message?  I continue to unplug and reset all the units and the gateway and it helps for a few minutes.   

I'm also getting insane amount of pixelation and picture freezing on the TVs.  I can't imagine I'm that lucky where I've received junk units over and over.   This isn't worth the cost I'm paying.   I'm tempted to go back.

Anyone have an idea other than call the service again?   I don't need a remote resetting,  I need a real solution.   

Responses

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

2 months ago

How close is the WAP to the Gateway?  Are you resetting the WAP (you didn't mention it)?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

10 Messages

WAP is maybe 8" from the gateway. Yes,  everything is constantly being reset.   I'm even going into the web address and resetting it that way.   I can't imagine it's any of the boxes seeing as how many times I've changed them.   I have to believe it's ATTs service.  What's weird top is their main service box on the street is directly behind my house.   So the run from there to three house has to be one of the shortest in the neighborhood.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

Move the WAP at least 3 feet (a meter) from the Gateway.  Ideally, make sure that the devices (router, WAP, Receiver) are not on a straight line with each other.  Is your WAP plugged directly into the Gateway, or via a switch/router/etc.?

Does your COAX wired DVR have these issues as well, or just the Wi-Fi?

Assuming that you don't have Fiber, have you checked your commnunications stats at the Gateway?  Log in to http://192.168.1.254/ , go to the Broadband tab and screenshot the table with the Sync rates, Attenuation SNR and error counts and paste it in a reply.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

10 Messages

I can move the WAP further away, but I'm using the cable ATT provided when they initially set this up, which is an 18" cable.  

The Coax DVR has the same issues as the other TV's.  The picture will freeze, it pixelates all the time, and it loses the signal occasionally, whereas the others lose it at least once an hour.  

I don't have fiber in the house, but I understand ATT runs the fiber to the junction neighborhood box behind the house, then pipes the signal in via a telephone cable (at least that's what the gateway is connected to on the wall).

Attached is a screenshot of the Broadband tab

(edited)

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

Yes, FTTN (Fiber to the Node) is the typical U-verse deployment, meaning fiber to the local VRAD and copper to your home.  These stats measure how the copper is doing; if you were fiber, none of this shows up.

Your line stats (sync rate, attenuation, SNR) show a line in excellent shape.   Your error counts show some issues, which is odd.  Your corrected blocks are low, but I would expect them to be even lower, and your uncorrectable blocks... well I'd expect zero.  So, I'm thinking that you occasionally have some RFI that's messing with an otherwise pretty good situation.  The question is what is causing this RFI. 

OTOH, you should never see corrected blocks on your screen, and you've only had 3 uncorrectable blocks in the past 24 hours.  I don't think you'd be here for the effect that should have on your TV.

The other thing that I'm noticing is that you seem to upload a lot of data.  There's nothing wrong with that, you pay for the line capabilities, but...

(1) Saturating your upload can have nasty effects on your Internet service performance, and

(2) Maybe it's affecting TV (though I've not ever seen that).

The other place to look is at your HPNA stats.  This will describe your coax line between the Gateway and your DVR.  If you can find that stats block, screen shot that for a looksee.

• 

10 Messages

I don't know why it shows I'm uploading that much.   I rarely do it unless ATT is pulling data on its own.  

What is HPNA and where do I find that? Also,  any suggestions for corrected blocks? 

Any ideas for a solution?  I have no idea where to go from here other than to another provider. 

Thanks

• 

10 Messages

• 

10 Messages

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

Aha.  We found issues.  In 20 minute intervals we found 79 packets got corrupted on their way to your DVR.  That's an average of 4 glitches per minute.  

So... I'd check all your COAX connections: At the Gateway, both sides of the wall plate where the Gateway is located, both sides of the wall plate where the DVR is located, and at the DVR.

How much trouble would it be to get Cat5e between your Gateway and the DVR?

• 

10 Messages

Thanks. I'll check it.  

Running a Cat5 is not possible without tearing up the walls and floors. 

This sounds like it'd solve the issue with the pri.ary DVR but what about the other two units that are running via wifi and losing signal constantly?  Those aren't connected via coax. 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

Do you normally watch recordings or live TV with the wireless units? Do you pause/rewind much when watching live?

• 

10 Messages

It's a combination of both but more live than taped, and no, we don't pause or rewind much. 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

The reason for that question is because when you pause / rewind live TV, everything you see until you FF back to "real time" is stored on the DVR and sent to you from it.  Any coax issues would then affect the recording and delivery of that content to your wireless boxes.   And, of course, recordings are obviously the same way.

Even a lot of AT&T installers don't seem to know that the WAP should be placed a decent distance from the Gateway.  If all you have is 18", then use it.

I was afraid that it would not be reasonable for you to switch to twisted pair (Ethernet).  I was able to fish the twisted pair cabling myself and replaced the coax-served receiver and DVR with Ethernet.

• 

10 Messages

I dont know where to go with this now.  I've checked all my coax connections and they're solid. I can't belive this service is that sensitive to a cable connection or a system thst is designed to pause and rewind. I never had this issue with Cox.  Swapping to a Cat5 is not possible with a house that has the ATT input upstairs and in another room from the primary DVR.

This service is horrible and is extremely frustrating.  I could forgive the satellite boxes for their flaws, but my primary is hard wired in.  You can't even watch this TV without it pausing and pixelating every few seconds. 

Is there anything that can be done, other than finding a new carrier?  I'd rather not go through that hassle if I didn't have to. 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

Assuming that the HPNA over coax is the primary cause of what you're seeing, you could make a service call and ask that an technician come re-crimp the coax connectors, but you may have to fight to get that done.  Another alternative would be a pair of powerline adapters, aka bridges.  Plug one into a power outlet near your DVR and another near your Gateway and run Ethernet over your home's power circuits.  Depending on your home wiring, it could be a good solution for you.  But it's not without cost.

• 

10 Messages

I'll check out the bridge adapters.   It seems to me that ATT shouldn't be offering this service if it's got known issues,  or at least provide discounts for crappy service.   

I'm tempted to call a tech to but I know how that'll go from past experiences:

▪︎they'll see the issue

▪︎spend 3 hours and replace all the boxes

▪︎everything will work fine for 5 minutes until they leave then it'll start back up again. 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

Coax can work fine.  If it's good coax with well crimped ends.  When AT&T tries to reuse Coax already in a house, they're at the mercy of what condition it's in.  I'm not sure they'd even do a coax install at all these days.  The BGW210 doesn't have a coax port on the back. 

One of the reasons AT&T is pushing the AT&T TV "over the top" service is that they have no responsibility (perceived or actual) for the delivery infrastructure.  Just the set top.  Any problems are your ISP's fault.

Get started...

Ask a new question