For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
randomperson's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, July 16th, 2016 11:46 PM

Removing phone line and interface box from house

I am having some remodeling done to the outside of my house soon. I have tried to call customer service 4 different times with no success. I have lived in this house since 2009 and never had a landline and don't want one. I want them to come and take down the line from my house to the power pole and the interface box. We recently had a storm and a branch landed on it and makes it sag very low. Wondering how I can have AT&T uninstall this. Every time I speak to a different barely English speaking individual I can tell they are reading from a script and have no clue how to help me without my account number. I tell them there is no account since I haven't had a landline at this house. Now the confusion begins and they ask for my account number and/or phone number again and the confusion repeats until I get irritated and hang up.

Any suggestions or has anyone had success tackling this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I don't have an account number and never will since I have had my house and never had service. I bought the house in 2009 and the previous older couple had a home phone as many people did. Now my problems lies with the fact I need this taken out but don't want to be liable for the wire/box that I don't own. Unfortunately there is no good solution as AT&T has not given me an option to speak to a knowledgeable person who can think outside of the customer service script and offer a solution.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

8 years ago

Here's what happened with a Verizon customer.

http://todddietrich.com/2013/05/14/removing-the-phone-line-from-my-house/

I wouldn't be too surprised to see the same sort of thing with AT&T.  Start by sending a Private Message to @ATTHelpForums.  At least they should have the wit to understand your request.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Get a ladder cable cutters ..wear some gloves... voltage is a very low power so is should be fairly safe.... cut that line up as high as you can and take that crap down and the hanging wire is now at&t's problem.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I wanted my dropped wire removed as I hadn't had ATT services for years and was painting my house.  I called 1-800-288-2020 and talked to a pleasant man.  He didn't understand what I was asking for, but after a few minutes he said he'd look for help.  He asked to put me on hold and then was  gone for 6 minutes.  When he returned, he had Helen on the line.  She understood completely, took my request and gave me a ticket number (as I no longer had an account).  She gave me the number direct to her section: 1-800-246-8464, opt. 1, then opt 8.

The tech was out the next day, removed the drop line, network box and all attachments to the house.

Now I need to figure out how to fill holes in aluminum siding!

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

5 years ago

I think that number is restricted to the SWBELL territories and may not work outside of that region.

• 

4 Messages

I just got told they don't do uninstallations, we're painting our house and they canceled our appointment day of, gross. 

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just spoke with a woman at ATT to ask about this issue. I have an old SBC box and an outmoded ATT box, as well as a new box for ATT fiber. The ATT rep clearly was just making things up as she went along, but she said I could just take the boxes down and ATT didn't want them. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.