We Still Have Great Cyber Week Deals: Check out our $5 and under smartphone deals!
Get the myAT&T app
taylor152's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Feb 23, 2016 8:43 PM

Removing Equipment Fee on Purchased 3600HGV

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting AT&T to remove the $7/month high speed equipment fee on the router that I own.

I originally signed up for U-Verse in 2011, back when they required customers to purchase their gateways.  I purchased a 3600HGV and everything was fine for about 4 years (no $7 per month equipment fee).

In September of 2015 I moved my service to a different address.  The customer service rep on the phone assured me that I would need a new gateway for the service to work and said that AT&T would mail one to me.

I received a flat UPS Express envelope with instructions and a packing list for a new gateway, but no gateway (which wouldn't fit in the flat envelope anyway).

At this point my existing 3600HGV didn't work in my new place, so I called customer support again, and they agreed to send out a tech to finish the install.

After 2 weeks of no internet, the tech arrived ran some tests on the line and found that the connection was faulty.  He reconnected the lines at the phone box outside (apartment complex) and my old 3600HGV gateway started working.  He had a new gateway with him, but I elected not to accept it and he left with it.

I've called multiple times about this problem, and each time the customer service rep claims that the charge will be taken off the bill, but it stays on month after month despite spoken assurances to the contrary.  The second-to-last time I called, the rep ended up changing my U-Verse service from Max to Max Turbo without my permission (which still isn't resolved)!  I'm a little afraid of what will happen the next time I call, so hopefully this forum will be more helpful.

Does anyone have advice on who to contact to resolve this, and how to prove that I own my gateway?  I would first like to make sure that AT&T doesn't have a record of me possessing any equipment that I don't have, so that I'm not on the hook for the cost of a gateway when I cancel my service.  I would also like to avoid that $7/month fee, or get a reasonable explanation on why it's being charged.

Thanks for your help!

Taylor

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

7 years ago

@taylor152   You moved, new account, all new accounts must pay the $7 equipment per the TOS. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you Chris.

Would I be able to get a new gateway without paying extra, since I'll have to pay the equipment fee anyway? Are they still using the 3600HGV, or is there a better model out now? Will I be able to keep the 3600HGV that I own (not sure why I'd want to, but just curious)?

Thanks,

Taylor

mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

7 years ago

@taylor152   Didn't they offer to send a new RG when you moved?  I'd contact ATT Uverse Care for help w/this instead of calling.

Contact ATT Uverse Care on the link in my signature below.

Send them a Private Message, on this link, and they should be able to give the help needed to solve your Uverse service new RG for new service problems.

Include your name, account #, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right on every page, for their reply. They can do more than any phone rep and stick w/it till it's done. Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.