Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit uverse.com for all your U-Verse TV support needs.
Get the myAT&T app
greyberry's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, June 13th, 2016 5:27 AM

Mislead by sales representative: service fee is $100 greater than the order.

Hello! Two weeks ago AT&T sales rep knocked into my door and said that they are wiring our neighborhood with optic cable and have some nice offers for community. At that time I had 30 Mb/s from Comcast for $40 and didn't had any cable TV (which I was ok with).

Blaming Comcast for "unreliable connection" and data limits (which, frankly, never bothered me) he offered me the following for $65 a month with 2-year contract:

- 75 Mb/s of data

- DirecTV Ultimate

- DirecTV RussianDirect II package

- HBO

- DVR

- $100 Visa card

I don't really watch TV, but was interested in having BBC World News. Maybe in Russian cartoon channel for kids. Maybe in HBO and some other channels - mostly for guests. Also, more than twice increase in the Internet speed sounded like a nice upgrade. So I thought - for $65 this whole package may worth a try. I agreed, signed the order ($65 in total), and arranged the installation.

Next day I got an order confirmation from at&t with my first bill total of $198.75.

Holy cow, I thought.

Sales rep gave me his number, so I contacted him and asked to clarify this total. He said he just need to get into his office and fix the numbers. Well... ok. Then the installation guy came. He did his job, but looked weird at me when I asked to confirm the monthly tag of $65. He advised me to contact customer support.

I naively texted sales rep again, pointing on the bill amount and speed of 45 Mb/s instead of 75. He responded "Okay on it now thank you for your patience". And nothing had changed. He just stopped responding.

Finally, I called support and got to know that not only my bill is officially around $165 for the next two years, but also I cannot cancel DirecTV without the penalty. 

I have the order I signed. It states $65. Not under any circumstances I would submit for $165 for the questionable benefit of watching TV.  What had happened to me is, I believe, an act of fraudulent misleading. I don't want this. I want AT&T to come, remove their hardware, cancel their bill and forget about me. Also, would be nice if the company could respect their clients-to-be and defend them from such a sham.

I initiated a case (Ref: [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.] from 09 Jul 2016) and I want to write here as well, so that the community be aware.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@greyberry   It was not an ATT employee, but a 3rd party lying private contractor, not to be believed on any prices.

Have to ask, didn't you think you were getting a whole lot for $65?  Like, too good to be true?  Well you were right, it was not true. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Hi Chris! I am a recent homeowner and I never had cable TV - so I don't know prices. To me, even 65 buck is a lot, but this is not very relevant. When I see the guy with an AT&T baidge, wearing AT&T uniform, selling AT&T services and hanging with folks from AT&T truck - why shouldn't I think he IS an AT&T employee and I should not trust him? Well, now I will not for sure...

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

8 years ago

Pricing information is available online.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Guys, appreciate your feedback, but it doesn't really address my situation. Not knowing prices and not having ability to distinguish between at&t and non-at&t employee is not a prerequisite to be mislead. I made my order, the price is stated in it. I assume at&t received and processed my order. Where in this chain the price became perverted is a task for the company (if company cares, of course). Would be nice to hear official position.

Former Employee

• 

22.5K Messages

8 years ago

We cannot see what you signed, my first thoughts are math error(s) or penmanship....

The lowest package I am aware of is SELECT (140 channels) for $50 a month.

The Ultimate (240 channels) is $75 a month.

These are without internet...., their is a $80 package for SELECT with 6M (Elite) internet.

This is the lowest bundle price I am aware of.

Concerning 75M internet, distance based, perhaps your to far from VRAD but close enough to receive Power 45 (a $10 price difference 75 is $10 more).

Your Ultimate is $128, minus (2) discounts of $10, $43 (total $53) yields $75. This is DirecTv promotion price for 2 years.

Additionally add on units such as Russian $34.99 and sports fee $3.63 is not part of promotion but add on (extra) totaling another $38.62

Next is HBO movie package $53.99, your receiving a 90 day promotion where this is discount. If you do not CANCEL this within first 90 days your bill will increase another $53.99 per month till you cancel this part.

OK, so we have a $75 DirecTv promotion with optional ($$$) add ons.

Now for the internet.... Discount off Power, plus no equipment fee (saving $7 per month).

The internet bill is $50.....

So actual promotion for Ultimate TV package (75) + internet (50) is $125 per month.

Additional direct charges (Russian/sports) adds $38.62, just under $165 a month.

Future charges if not canceled within 90 days of $53.99, will give about $219 bill.

Of course service installed during a current billing period, thus pro rated days... plus next full month.   Your bill as listed makes sense.

Now what did you sign... Check the math, is the $65 missing a 1 or written but did not see.

You may cancel all services within first 30 days but subject to installation charges (internet $99).

After that time period DirecTv early termination $480 adjusted $20 per month for 24 months.

Uverse internet ETF is $180 adjusted $15 per month for 12 months.

Lastly canceling the non promotional items, Russian, sports, HBO movie package will bring billing to $125. Lowering the TV portion to SELECT (as you do not really watch TV) can lower this another $25 to get the bill to $100 (plus taxes/fees).

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hello @greyberry,

We will be glad to look into this. We can tell you that the promotions available to us may not get the bill below what it is now. Please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your:

• Name
  • 9 digit U-verse account number
  • Phone number 

We will get back to you as soon as possible via email. In the meantime, let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for the useful break-down, @my thoughts

I will have a scanner this evening to make better quality images of the order. So far - here is the poor photo of order (I highlighted selected checkpoints) and more-or-less precise photo of "total" section. When the sales rep was describing me those selections, he said that checkbox in the lower left part (saying "T $74.01 off") - is my discount for the TV - Internet bundle and the montlly fee will consist of: TV (ultimate) $128 + High Speed Internet $12 (minus) 74, which is $66.

Then he wrote the total of $65 (plus one-time fee of $27 for receiver installation (15+7 plus taxes I guess) - to be payed via the phonecall with the at&t operator), and asked me to sign. After that he dialed at&t and made an order. That was it.

I overlooked the selection of 45 Mb/s - i guess he out-talked my attention, assuring me a lot that they are wiring neighboorhood with an optic cable, which will almost literally enter my wall. Another lie - installation guy said they have optic box couple blocks away.

Untitled1.jpgUntitled2.jpgIMG_20160614_012911165_TOP.jpg

3 Attachments

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@greyberry   "This order is not a contract.  It is a record of services selected" big red box.

Think unluckily the first sentence above does not guarantee any pricing and makes it just a piece of paper.  Since you have filed a dispute and most likely go to arbitration, I see that one sentence killing your argument. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

@mibrnsurg I am not here to be nailed down. I realise that this is not a contract - it is an order, and I agreed with the total, and the fact that it is an estimate, and that taxes are not included.

However, when you go to, say, the contractor and he gives you a quote for a window replacement. And you agree with this quote. And then he comes, does the same amount of work, but invoice you with the 2.5 times greater amount than the quote - would you just eat it? Is it fair? Would you blame on yourself? And what is the whole purpose of quoting then? 

That is how I see the situation from my end.

Former Employee

• 

22.5K Messages

8 years ago

Would like to see clear scan...

My initial read thru is the agent failed to add internet package ($62) pricing before applying discounts. 

Appears the agent added the internet discount ($12) to DTV promotion ($128) then subtracted the DTV ($74) to give $66. (128+12-74)

Correct order is DTV $128+ Internet $62- internet discount $12- DTV discount $74= $104

However I do not know what T ($74) versus D ($54) is but your confirmation shows you receiving the lower discount ($10+$43) or $53 off instead of order form $54 off. But again your agent choose $74 off instead of $54 off, why? Thus the $104 becomes $124.

Then need to add option Russian TV which I do not see price option, see latino option. Clearly Russian TV is not a part of $128 promotion package but a add on.

So based on earlier confirmation post $34.99+$124=$158.99.

Next is a sports fee, not much can be done about fees..... $3.63

And lastly cancel the HBO 90 day special now before the bill goes up another $53.99.

From the agent, a combination of failing to add services ordered (internet $62) and applying the wrong discount (74 instead of 54) is issues. And explains why the order quoted is the wrong offer. Now we know why car salesman have to have someone else check their work before car can be sold. In this case the check, double check was the confirmation email.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.