Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
B

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Jun 23, 2020 3:18 AM

How to complain about a *loyalty* rep interaction -- and should I bother?

My 12-month promotion for my U-Verse200 ($54 off a month) was set to expire in early August. I called customer service to ask about incentives available to keep me -- given I get multiple offers weekly from the likes of Spectrum. The rep said she checked and found nothing and switched me to Loyalty rep Dan. I explained the situation. (I also have internet and home phone.) He said he could give me an all-included rate of $154 before taxes and fees. I expected a rundown of the base amount for each service. I apparently said something (so he later claimed) that led him to place the order. That was not my intention. After he gave me the figure and I said, "mm-hm" or "OK," and there was silence on the line. I thought he was running some numbers. I was expecting a detailed accounting and that I'd be asked whether I accepted, explicitly. (That's what I got before I accepted last year's promotion.) Next I heard from him was something like, "You're all set." I was astounded and said so. I said I wanted more details. I hadn't intended to agree to anything before hearing those details. His answer: Too late; the order's in and can't be undone. I was fuming. I felt I'd been had. He at least gave me a $50 credit when I said I wouldn't have agreed to something that resulted in paying more immediately, with a month left on my current promotion.

Just got the order summary from AT&T -- and even the numbers he gave me were wrong, perhaps in my favor. But the experience was so unnerving, I wonder where to turn, to say that reps should give details, should ask the  customer, "Do you agree to this?" Even after he said, "You're all set," he wasn't about to review, to say, "This is what I've done today" -- as I've had happen when I've agreed to other services.

So, where to complain? And should I bother?

Responses

skeeterintexas

ACE - Expert

• 

14.9K Messages

a month ago

It has been announced that discounts will be few and far between, especially for Uverse TV service, which they are trying to phase out.

The chances of you keeping the discount you had was slim to none.  Should you bother?  The question is "Can you live with the deal you got?"

When you're in your 60s & people ask you to do something, you just say "No".  No reason.  No excuse.  No explanation.  I can't wait for my 70s.  I don't think I'll even answer.   -  Jerry Seinfeld

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

Got it. I can live with the deal I got and realize Uverse TV service is an endangered species.

I was fuming not about the deal, but that I was told I agreed to have an order placed before I was told the details of the deal, before I had explicitly agreed to the deal -- and that there was no turning back. I felt snookered.

I'd have been OK with Deadpan Dan saying, "Look, you're lucky you're getting this discount. It's this or nothing, so I'm just putting in the order."

But I still would have wanted a rundown of the particulars. Not, "it is done. Have a nice day." That would be the nature of the complaint: The customer should know what the agreement is before it is made final. And that was not done in my case. But to where would I complain, and would anyone listen?

ACE - Expert

• 

14.9K Messages

You can file a complaint with the BBB.  Others have reported that doing so resulted in a call from TPTB.

When you're in your 60s & people ask you to do something, you just say "No".  No reason.  No excuse.  No explanation.  I can't wait for my 70s.  I don't think I'll even answer.   -  Jerry Seinfeld

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question