Get the myAT&T app
aengland's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thu, Feb 19, 2015 8:26 PM

Has anyone experienced or experiencing an outage?

I've been a U-verse customer since 2014 and this is the first outage I've experienced. I'd like to know if it is normal not to notify customers of the outage and ask them to check their connection every two hours until the issue is resolved.

Outages happen and I can respect that issues will arise without a determined resolution date. However, to request that customers call in order to identify the issue (as I was having an issue connecting to the internet)... I received the automated response "known issue that is being worked on" and then to talk to a representative and be told to check my connection every two hours as they do not have an estimated resolution time/date is quite archaic.

Why doesn’t ATT email those impacted if it is "known issue" and why they don't email or notify when the issue is resolved?

I'm surprised I am bringing this up on a forum and not just enjoying my day at Starbucks using their internet.

ACE - Expert

• 

22.5K Messages

7 y ago

If your internet is out how can you get an email?
mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

7 y ago

@aengland In the 6 1/2 years I've had Uverse HD TV/12M Internet, I've had 1 real TV outage, happened the day I was getting a 1225 replacement for my 2250 that red x died the day before.

Other than that a few years ago I lost all my TV channels @2:30am and as when calling TS, they all started re-appearing, TS was clueless too. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

rdljr

Guru

• 

921 Messages

7 y ago

The only time I lost U-verse was when a car crashed into a telephone pole carrying the fiber to the VRAD.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 y ago

Considering the average American home has 5 cell phones, I would expect the average American home has a way to access their mail via phone, as I did.  Also, I posted this via my phone during an outage. Hence, I would expect some type of notification sent to me when there is a known outage, specifically since it lasted over 12 hours. If ATT found that email was not appropriate how about text? Or just a notice when trying to use my UVerse account on my TV screen or when accessing the internet?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 y ago

Thanks all for the insight, it looks like my 12 hours + outage was out of the norm but I hope ATT actually looks at these and makes some adjustments as I myself will not be a UVerse memeber much longer if this ever happens again without a notification - I have had better customer notifications with local providers.

ACE - Expert

• 

22.5K Messages

7 y ago

@aengland wrote:

Considering the average American home has 5 cell phones, I would expect the average American home has a way to access their mail via phone, as I did.  Also, I posted this via my phone during an outage. Hence, I would expect some type of notification sent to me when there is a known outage, specifically since it lasted over 12 hours. If ATT found that email was not appropriate how about text? Or just a notice when trying to use my UVerse account on my TV screen or when accessing the internet?

NEWS FLASH

I'm an old lady.  I have a basic cell phone.  I do not text.  I do not data.  I do not have 5G or 6G or whatever the heck that is. 

I just recently got a tablet and thought that was a big deal (look at me using tiles!). 

Would my (grown) kids like for me to text?  Yes, but if you need something...CALL ME!

So NO....not everyone has 5 cell phones in their home...and not everyone has data.  Shocking, I know.  Consider yourself enlightened.

I'm old....be nice.

mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

7 y ago

@aengland wrote:

Thanks all for the insight, it looks like my 12 hours + outage was out of the norm but I hope ATT actually looks at these and makes some adjustments as I myself will not be a UVerse memeber much longer if this ever happens again without a notification - I have had better customer notifications with local providers.

Can always try ATT Uverse Care or Customer Care (links in my signature) to see if they have any info.  Many times here they have checked and posted what's going on.  Have never had any provider contact me directly about an outage. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 y ago

@skeeterintexas 

Please read my entire post before responding.  As you can tell, I was giving options.  Including email, text, or even a notification on my screen (TV) or when accessing the internet.

I realize you may not have a cell phone but I assume you have internet (or you would not be posting) so an email may work (my first option you scoffed at). Or if your UVerse TV doesn't work I would expect it may be nice to have a notification on your screen stating the problem and a possible resolution time and date if possible.   Or if your internet doesn't work a notification when trying to connect.

Bottom line there should be a notification if there is known issue to service. It's a simple customer service response that I have in place for over 50 different software instances at my place of work. I would think ATT would have the capability for this enhancement.

I am sorry that you are an outlier of the statisical analysis.  As for me and my household, we have over 7 phones (family of 5) that include mutliple providers for work, 3 ipads and 7 laptops. However, I am responsible for IT security work at my company and my husband is in the same line of work. 

I understand were you are coming from as you sound like my greatgrandmother, she is in the same boat.  However, I will tell you what I tell her - please make sure you have multiple ways to communicate just in case something ever happens, God forbid and your service is down.  Hence why I have made sure she has life alert and multiple providers.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 y ago

@mibrnsurg 

Thank you - I called every hour yesterday trying to get status while I was using my hotspot at home eating up data and then later starbucks with their Google access. The customer support was useless...telling me to call back every hour and check my system by restarting it every two hours.  However, after 14 hours of being out my service came back.  So I'm all good now but I was just surprised that the best support was to call back every hour! - If I gave that as a solution for my clients I would be losing clients right and left. I guess that's what you can get away with when we are clients of a large corporation like ATT.

ACE - Expert

• 

22.5K Messages

7 y ago

I have to agree with Chris.  I've NEVER had a provider (TV/phone/internet/electricity) that would give warning when a service was going to be out.

The usual order of business is to call if you have an outage, they will let you know if they are aware and they may or may not know when it will be fixed.  But anticipating an outage?  That'd be cool....and magical.

Can you please inform us of the name of the provider that will "notify customers of the outage and ask them to check their connection every two hours until the issue is resolved"?  Obviously there is one out there.  I'd love to know who it is.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.