Death In The Family - How To Cancel An Account
A loss in the family is something we know can be a difficult time in your life. It can be even more stressful when we are attempting to close out or cancel their account. We would like to help make this a bit easier to for you.
If you know the PIN, you can either Chat With Us or Call 611 from an AT&T wireless phone, to cancel your family members account.
Come See Us
You can come see us at an AT&T owned retail store. You will need to bring your photo ID and death certificate. You can search for the closest store here.
Note: Authorized Retailers are unable to cancel account.
What You Need To Know
- The balance on the account is the responsibility of the estate.
- Early termination and/or Transfer of Billing Responsibility fees won't be charged on the user's line of service.
- The account can't remain active under the name and Social Security number of the deceased person, with the exception of customers living in Oklahoma. A Transfer of Billing Responsibility is required to keep the wireless number with AT&T service.
- Installment plans may be adjusted for all lines of service if the account holder is deceased.
- Installment plans may be adjusted for an individual wireless line if the deceased was a wireless user on the account.
ChrisZ, AT&T Community Specialist
AT&T Customer Care
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp