The phone that makes your everyday epic. Buy the Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G now!
Get the myAT&T app
starcms's profile

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

Sat, Oct 12, 2019 6:27 AM

Changed from 6HD to 4HD on Fiber, Please help @ATTCares

Hello,

I've had U-verse fiber service for a little over 3 months now.  I have Uverse TV and 300mbps internet.  It came with 3 months free Cinemax.  I called to cancel the Cinemax since the 3 month free trial was going to end about a week ago, and ever since then I can only record/watch 4 live HD shows simultaneously in my household instead of 6.  For some reason when I cancelled Cinemax, I was incorrectly changed to the 4HD profile (for those that don't have fiber service).

I've talked with tech support three times over about a week, and they keep saying they are putting in a request to their backroom team and/or also escalate it to have the profile corrected to 6HD and that it should be fixed within 2 hours.  Yet, nothing has been fixed and I can still only record 4 things at once, and when I go to menu, options, system information, system resources, it shows that it is still on "0 SD/4 HD".(where it used to show "0 SD/ 6 HD")

I've seen some old posts of people having their profile incorrectly changed to 4HD randomly after months or over a year of getting service, and it seems some after many many many calls to tech support finally got the issue resolved.  Can anyone please any help?  Hopefully someone from AT&T? 

I saw some suggestions to PM @ATTU-verseCare, but unfortunately it doesn't let you PM him/her anymore.

Thanks very, very much,

Chris

gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

2 y ago

@starcms wrote:

I've had U-verse fiber service for a little over 3 months now.  I have Uverse TV and 300mbps internet.  

I've talked with tech support three times over about a week, and they keep saying they are putting in a request to their backroom team and/or also escalate it to have the profile corrected to 6HD and that it should be fixed within 2 hours.  Yet, nothing has been fixed and I can still only record 4 things at once, and when I go to menu, options, system information, system resources, it shows that it is still on "0 SD/4 HD".(where it used to show "0 SD/ 6 HD")

I've seen some old posts of people having their profile incorrectly changed to 4HD randomly after months or over a year of getting service, and it seems some after many many many calls to tech support finally got the issue resolved.  Can anyone please any help?  Hopefully someone from AT&T? 

I saw some suggestions to PM @ATTU-verseCare, but unfortunately it doesn't let you PM him/her anymore.

Thanks very, very much,

Chris

Unless @ATTCares steps in, you'll likely not get action from here.  

At one time, the 6 streams was exclusive to gigabit fiber customers along with a larger capacity DVR.  

How accounts are provisioned is based on business rules and it is unlikely it will be changed.  Have you checked the website to see if Uverse TV in fact comes with 6 streams for your speed tier?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

It says here that all 100mbps, 300mbps, and 1000mbps fiber connections get 6HD.  https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-tv/KM1042519

And like I said, it was advertised as 6HD when I got it, and it's been 6HD for the last 3 months until I called to cancel Cinemax.  If it's not fixed, I'm cancelling this and I'm not paying any ETF.  It's such a horrible DVR system to begin with -- and then further limiting it to only 4HD makes it useless for me and isn't what I ordered.

I only switched from DirecTV (where I could record 9 things at once) which I had had since 1999 because I moved and dishes aren't allowed by the new neighborhood association.  And the local cable company, Cox, it turns out has much nicer receivers than both DirecTV and especially Uverse.  The interface on UVerse is just pathetic.  My two wireless receivers were made back in 2012... yet I had to pay a $50 premium for each of them, even though it saved the technician hours of running new cables to the two extra receivers and would have been free.

(edited)

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

2 y ago

... I moved and dishes aren't allowed by the new neighborhood association.

FYI, with respect to that statement that HOA needs to update their CC&R's.  They may have some degree of control as to placement, but they cannot stop you for mounting a dish outside since the FCC enacted the OTARD rules years ago (since around 1999).

Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule

Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes

But there are some conditions where they could stop you.  Here's a article covering that.

When the landlord says ‘no dish,’ tell him it’s not his call

gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

2 y ago

@starcms 

Thanks for posting that link.  It has changed since last time I saw it.  it’s actually quite interesting to me that att made Uverse more attractive to fiber customers.  
Please let us know if you’re taken care of.  I assume it will get fixed.  

The new att tv product is set to replace Uverse tv.  I’ve seen it in action.  Unclear to me yet if I’ll switch to it.  For one, we get far fewer streams and recordings expire.  

I get that the Uverse interface is dated now, but we’re used to it and the DVR works most of the time.  In my region, I’m told once I leave Uverse, there’s no going back.  

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.1K Messages

2 y ago

Did you order wired receivers? If the tech chose to install wireless stb’s, you should not have been charged for wireless stb’s. Challenge the charge for them. 

I just checked my profile. I’m also on 4 hd streams even though I have the internet 300 plan. Not worth fight over. Only me and my wife in the house. I actually like the dvr and GUI. I had DTV and hated their dvr and remote. 

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

@_xyzzy_  wrote:

FYI, with respect to that statement that HOA needs to update their CC&R's.  They may have some degree of control as to placement, but they cannot stop you for mounting a dish outside since the FCC enacted the OTARD rules years ago (since around 1999).

Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule

Installing Consumer-Owned Antennas and Satellite Dishes

But there are some conditions where they could stop you.  Here's a article covering that.

When the landlord says ‘no dish,’ tell him it’s not his call

@_xyzzy_ 

Thanks for your info on the HOA rules.  We've been going back and forth for over 5 months with them.  And it'd be much easier just to have AT&T fix/restore my 6HD profile for the time being 🙂

@gr8sho  wrote:

@starcms 

Thanks for posting that link.  It has changed since last time I saw it.  it’s actually quite interesting to me that att made Uverse more attractive to fiber customers.  
Please let us know if you’re taken care of.  I assume it will get fixed.  

The new att tv product is set to replace Uverse tv.  I’ve seen it in action.  Unclear to me yet if I’ll switch to it.  For one, we get far fewer streams and recordings expire.  

I get that the Uverse interface is dated now, but we’re used to it and the DVR works most of the time.  In my region, I’m told once I leave Uverse, there’s no going back.

@gr8sho,

Thanks again for your info and agreeing with me after seeing that link.  I still don't have any idea why removing Cinemax after the 3 month free trial ended caused the profile to incorrectly be changed to 4HD.  Like I said, I had 6HD from when I signed up on July 3 until October 2 when I called to cancel Cinemax.  6HD was an advertising point when I ordered service, it's in the email confirmation for the order for Uverse TV and 300mbps internet, and I need it fixed urgently.  I've only tried online support thus far, so hopefully a phone call on Monday will connect me with someone who can actually fix it.

What is this new AT&T TV product that will be replacing Uverse?  Does it use upgraded receivers and a new GUI?  Could you elaborate on it?  Will it be coming to all parts of the country that currently have fiber to the home?  But why would it be even less than 4HD streams?  Dish Network offers 15HD streams, DirecTV offers up to 21HD streams depending on the type and amount of receivers one has, and my local cable provider, Cox, offers 12HD streams.  Not to mention that the Dish and Cox receivers/equipment are top-of-the-line and are full of extra and new features, while Uverse is still using receivers from back before fiber to the home even existed on their network (my two wireless receivers were manufactured in 2012 when Uverse TV was still being delivered over crap twisted pair), and DirecTV's newest receivers have been in service since 2014.

The AT&T fiber to the home infrastructure is incredible and the best amongst all four -- I just don't understand why or how they basically still treat Uverse TV basically the same as back in 2010 or so when it first launched with only 2HD over twisted pair.

Btw, that's why in the fine print, when you order 1000mbps internet service, it says it is limited to 940mbps "due to overhead."  That "overhead" is for the TV service.  Each HD stream takes 10mbps.  So 6HD takes 60mbps. 1000 minus 60 = 940mbps.  So as long as one has a fiber to the home connection, 1000mbps of bandwidth is always available (even if not ordered for internet service), so 6HD is always available (at least nowadays) since it only requires 60mbps (which is nothing compared to a 1gbps link).  Read my response to @browndk26 below for more info.

@browndk26 wrote:

Did you order wired receivers? If the tech chose to install wireless stb’s, you should not have been charged for wireless stb’s. Challenge the charge for them. 

I just checked my profile. I’m also on 4 hd streams even though I have the internet 300 plan. Not worth fight over. Only me and my wife in the house. I actually like the dvr and GUI. I had DTV and hated their dvr and remote. 

@browndk26 ,

Yes, I ordered the 2 wireless receivers at an extra cost of $50 each.  My point was that installation took literally less than 20 minutes total for everything.  The house was already wired for fiber.  So I just don't understand why AT&T is willing to have a technician install wired boxes for free on up to 4 additional TVs (which would literally take hours), or I'm forced to pay $50 each for the wireless receivers and it saves them I'd approximate over 4 hours of running cables from the main DVR to the extra two receivers.  It makes absolutely no sense, especially since the wireless receivers are refurbished crap originally manufactured in 2012.  It would seem that if anything, one should get a discount for getting the wireless receivers since it makes the time the technicians have to spend installing it 30 minutes or less vs 4 to 6+ hours.

Also, as you can clearly see from this link, anyone with a fiber connection with 100mbps, 300mbps, or 1gbps internet service is supposed to get 6HD.  The link is actually slightly outdated in the fact that one no longer even requires the Pace 1GB DVR to get 6HD.  All they need is a fiber internet connection along with Uverse TV.  So it doesn't matter if you have an older/non-Pace DVR.  You should still be getting 6HD.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-tv/KM1042519

And while 4HD might meet your needs, in any household with more than 2 people, it's no where near enough.  Even with 6HD, I still very occasionally had conflicts, but with this 4HD for the past week or so, it's unbearable and useless.  Since each HD stream only takes 10mbps, they could easily offer 10 HD streams over fiber, which would take a total of 100mbps of bandwidth.  This wouldn't affect anyone except those with 1000mbps internet service who would have their max internet speed reduced from 940mbps (as explained above) to 900mbps.  Anyone on 100mbps or 300mbps wouldn't notice a difference because the fiber link is capable of providing 1000mbps constantly, so if you have 100mbps or 300mbps internet service, plus 100mbps for 10HD, there's still 800mbps or 600mbps available bandwidth, respectively.

Lastly, in my opinion, the Uverse GUI/interface looks like it was designed for a child or a 90 year old. And it is 10+ years old.  You might not need the 6HD in your household, but I most definitely need it in mine.

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.1K Messages

2 y ago

Since the direct tv purchase, att has made it we’ll know they are going to switch to iptv only delivery of tv services. Well before that, they knew they were going to leave U-verse tv as is and let it die. Thus no new equipment and no major software updates.  In my case I am quite happy with U-verse tv. Many other people like it. For some of us, no change is good. Just like anything. A customer can switch services if they wish. 

ATT TV is the new service being tried out right now. It’s basically an att branded streaming service. Any person will be able to get it as long as they have internet access. Some links below, plus google it for equipment descriptions and reviews. 

https://www.att.com/tv/

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-TV/ct-p/ATTTV

gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

2 y ago

@starcms 

Yeah, the intent is to make the Att tv offer to all of the US where access to broadband is available, whereas U-verse is limited to locations where att is the ISP.  The box runs android tvOS but it is locked down to what they choose to allow app-wise.  It’s their attempt to come in closer contact with the major streaming boxes but still use the old cable tv product model.  

As for the limitation on number of concurrent streams, I’ve never seen a clear explanation of why so it would just be conjecture on my part.  When this topic came up during the launch of directv now, the platform the new product is built on top of, additional streams could not be added and the answer at that time was to simply buy another subscription. 

Because the profile detail is in print, I expect your issue will get resolved. It may take escalating, but they will make it right.  

That then leaves you with a decision to make regarding UI and such, but if you place a premium on recording and watching concurrent streams, you’ll have to put up with the old hardware and software and hang on to U-verse as long as you can.  

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.