Military Appreciation: Exclusive savings for military, veterans, and their families!
Get the myAT&T app
ATTU-verseCare's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

Thu, Sep 1, 2016 8:00 PM

Closed

AT&T's Credit Check Policy

Slide1.JPG

So you’ve decided to join the AT&T family! Did you have questions regarding the credit check requirement? You will find some helpful information below:

Credit Evaluation: 

• AT&T requires a credit check when ordering new products (Wireless lines, U-verse TV, Internet and Phone).
  • Credit checks using information pulled from your AT&T service history and credit bureaus are a soft credit check instead of a hard credit check which means it does not impact credit scores.
  • The results of the credit evaluation and the cost of the device will determine if security (down payment, advance payment, Credit Management Fee or deposit) is required.   
  • Guarantors or co-signers for credit applications are not accepted by AT&T.
  • In order to consent to a credit check and service activation with AT&T, potential individual customers must meet the minimum age requirement of 18.  Puerto Rico age of consent would be 21.

Unable to Submit to Credit Evaluation: 

• All customers are eligible to apply for service. Information required to process an application for credit may be different depending on the product line.  
  • You may be listed as having unknown credit. Depending on the service you’re signing up for security may be required.

Reimbursement of Fees: 

• If a Credit Management Fee is required, a credit will be applied to the account as long as the service remains active and is in good standing.
  • If your credit rating changes the fee will remain on the account. 

Security Requirements: 

• Down Payment: Initial payment put towards the cost of a device on an installment plan.
  • Advanced Payment: Made in advance of order submission and applies to future bills until exhausted. 
  • Autopay: Automatic payments deduct from the customer's bank account or charge each month to their credit card.
  • Credit Management Fee: A fee paid by the customer in advance of order submission. 
  • Deposit: Payment for service
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

• 

2 Messages

2 y مضت

UPDATE:

As I was writing the comment above, I had the online sign-up form still up in another tab, paused on the page where they ask for your SSN to run a credit check.  Just after I posted, my phone rang.  It's AT&T.  They wanted to follow up about "an inquiry into new service".  I told them to get lost and to delete my information from their system, but I'm certain they won't.  

The twist?  I went back through my sign-up info in the other tab.  I never gave AT&T my phone number.

There are reports on a creditkarma forum of AT&T running hard credit checks without customer's permission.  In some cases, the customer not only didn't give permission, but didn't give their SSN, either.  I'm closing on a house in two days and I'm terrified that a credit check I never agreed to will mess things up for me.

RUN!  RUN AWAY!  If you're here because, like me, you were about to sign up for service and ran into an unexpected request for a credit check, get out while you still can.  I've had Spectrum (formerly TWC) for years and I thought they were bad, but this is a whole other level of predatory nonsense.

• 

1 Message

2 y مضت

I have called AT&T today. (866)861-6075
The representative told me there is no way around credit check.

It will be a soft check and will not affect my score.

This is confusing to me, I thought I can "choose" not to provide credit infomation to obtain the service.

Please clarify this for me.

Thank you.

• 

2 Messages

2 y مضت

AT&T posted a hard credit inquiry on my credit report even though I do not use any of their products or services. When I called AT&T to remove the hard credit inquiry, AT&T claims they did not do it and therefore cannot remove it. AT&T is an unethical company and I do not recommend doing business with them.

• 

1 Message

2 y مضت

I started to sign up for AT&T Internet service -- but I was dissatisfied with AT&T before I even got started.  First, they ask for my SSAN -- an obvious security risk.  Then they demand to check my credit, which I have blocked at the credit info bureaus, to prevent fraud.  They ask that I unblock my credit info, so they can check my credit.  Was I asking to take out a line of credit?  NO.  There is no annual contract, so do they really need my credit info?  NO.  AT&T lost my business before they ever got it, with their jack-booted "give me all your sensitive information" requirements.

teetertotter

ACE - Teacher

• 

943 Messages

2 y مضت

Closing out this old old thread!

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.