For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.
AT&T's credit check policy
So you’ve decided to join the AT&T/DIRECTV family! Did you have questions regarding the credit check requirement? You will find some helpful information below:
- AT&T requires a credit check when ordering new Entertainment products (Wireless lines, DIRECTV, U-verse TV, Internet and Phone). The information is pulled from external credit bureaus and your AT&T service history. The results of the credit evaluation will determine if an advance payment, automatic payment or deposit is required. (Credit Management Fee).
- Guarantors or co-signers for credit applications are not accepted by AT&T.
- In order to consent to a credit check and service activation with AT&T, potential individual customers must meet the minimum age requirement of 18. Puerto Rico age of consent would be 21.
- The cost of the device and your credit evaluation will determine if a deposit is needed.
Unable to Submit to Credit Evaluation:
- There are times when you are not able to submit to a credit check if you are an international student and/or worker and you do not have a SSN, or you are unable to provide one due to personal choice. You will be listed as having unknown credit. Depending on the service you’re signing up for a Credit Management Fee Advanced Payment is required to obtain service.
Reimbursement of Fees:
- If a Credit Management Fee is required, a credit will be applied to the account as long as the service remains active and is in good standing.
- If your credit rating changes to medium or low, the fee will remain on the account.
- Advanced Payment: Made in advance of order submission and applies to future bills until exhausted.
- Autopay: Automatic payments deduct from the customer's bank account or charge each month to their credit card.
- Credit Management Fee: A fee paid by the customer in advance of order submission.
- A decision letter is sent within two business days if your credit is classified as Medium, High, or Unknown. In the letter you will be advised of our Customer Service contact information and information on how to obtain a copy of your credit report if a credit bureau was used in the decision.
- The Credit Management Fee is non-refundable after the 30-day buyer’s remorse period.
- Your first bill will have the Credit Management Fee as a One Time Charge.
- For information regarding fees and despoits, check out our Terms of Service.
AT&T Customer Care
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp