Learn how you can get the iPhone 13 now!
8tuvrseblows's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wed, Oct 22, 2014 3:37 PM

ATT Uverse not living up to expectations- customer service significanlty lacking

For 4 years I have been receiving mailers, door knockers, etc to move to att uverse.  For 4 years I never did then finally gave in because it was going to be a little cheaper than TWC and was told everything else would be better as well- faster internet, better clarity,etc.  They came out, set up all these boxes, they plugged in my router and all was great- until later that is.  The ATT NVG589 is apparently set up to not work with other types of equipment. This was not made known to me when I specifically asked that question at install.  Certain websites like yahoo, ATT.com, linkedin, etc would not load and I recevied an error message.  I called and they had me waste all kinds of time trying to figure out what was going on.  I hit the message boards, I reworked my own machines, upated software, ran utilities programs to no avail.  Finally 2 weeks later got someone who said that my "3rd party" (as they call it) equipment was causing the issues. Really?  Then why does one web page work an not another when it did before the ATT gateway? Is not all equipment attached "3rd party" eqipment?  Are not all tv's, routers, dvd, etc considered 3rd party? 

After many calls, hours on the phone and another guy coming out to replace more boxes (which wasnt the problem either) that part began working. Now we get to see how att uverse stacks up, well we have intermittent tv issues, error messages on the screens, some boxes work, others dont, much slower internet speeds than previous provider, ugly boxes at each tv, broadcast is fuzzier on some "3rd party equipment" that was not fuzzy before so I dont think it is my tv- but hey, the phone seems to work pretty good so 1 out of 3 is not bad according to ATT. 

Then ATT decides to remove the 2 wireless boxes from the account so they dont work.  How does this happen?  No one knows. I call in again, spend 45 minutes getting these back up and running and then offered a $5 credit, and I had to ask for that.  That was the final straw.  I have heard "I apologize" and "I am sorry" so many times from att in the past few weeks it hurts my ears. This service is not worth what I am paying, but might be worth $19.95 per month for phone, internet and tv.  I think my old dial up was better than this. 

Now I have to file a formal complaint with them because the customer service person I spoke with in Michigan was absolutely useless. I tried the online chat folks- they told me I could write a letter and mail it to some address in Dallas, no receipient or department, just an address and a few more "I am sorry's".

I am barely 6 weeks into this with a track record of issues and problems from day one and they want a cancellation fee of $165. The services I have paid for have not been received.  Here is the irony - I can file a complaint, pay the $200 fee to go to arbitration and they immediately reimburse me that fee. Now I am ahead by $35.  The service agreement is going to work in my favor in this case becuase I have not recevied the services I have paid for and when I add up the cost of my time in all this, well, it is well beyond $165.  All they had to do is waive the cancellation fee, let me get back to a service that actually works for what I need, but no, that would make too much sense. I am now considering moving my cell phones too and I have been a loyal ATT customer since they bought Cingular years ago.

I hope this can serve as a warning to some and maybe used as a training lesson for customer service.  Sometimes you need to just let people go.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

7 y ago

Hi @8tuvrseblows,

I am so sorry about the issues you are having with your U-verse services, but I will be glad to help if you are still up for giving us a shot. I use 3rd party equipment in my home setup, and I have not ran into any problems. What is the 3rd party equipment in question? Also, when trying to access the sites, do you receive an error message? 

Also, what error messages are you seeing on the TV?

-David T

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 y ago

I have a cisco EA3500 router that ATT said was the cause of my issues.  The internet pages that woudl not load did not give me an error message per se, only that the page was unable to load, that I needed to fis a connection problem, or something may be wrong at the host site.  Again, this worked perfectly with my previous provider.

The TV signal would cut out intermittently, the wireless receviers would "update" themselves every 25-40 minutes, which is really irritating when you are trying to catch the news or a show.

I was told it was becuase my router was causing issues.  Maybe it was, but why would some sites work and not others?  Either way, I have switched back to Time Warner, they have their own issues but at least my signal is stronger, internet works and tv boxes don't "reset" themselves all the time.

It is unfortunate ATT wants to charge money to solve problems with their equipment after install.  I did unplug my router for a period of time and had the same tv issues so I know it was not any 3rd party equipment.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.