Get the myAT&T app
amt1098's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Wednesday, February 14th, 2018 8:50 PM

ATT Bait and Switch- 400 Dollar Rewards Card- Move in Special-Known Tactic

Disclaimer: Sad to say this is not the first time I have been Bait and Switched by ATT. Stop sending mailers if you don't intend to honor your agreements. It is a testament to see how many topics that are related to "bait and switch" on this forum. #fooledmeonce

Bottom line up front: I am moving and it just so happen that ATT sent me a moving mailer that advertised a 400 reward card for transferring services. After being guaranteed the 400, ATT is saying they have no knowledge of the 400 reward and are now only offering me 200. An ATT rep even called me directly and gloated by saying good luck seeing the 400. (She was salty that I cancelled her installation for a 200 reward card and instead I called back ATT for the appropriate 400 reward card.) I have listed what transpired in detail below.

One caveat: I have been with ATT upwards of 14 years (I had a small break in service when I went with another carrier). I have Wireless w/4 lines, Uverse, internet, and Direct TV. 700 dollars of my hard earned money goes to ATT each month.  I am a 4x Iraq war veteran and up and coming elementary school teacher of this nation's youth. I was close to cutting the cord with ATT as I already have alternate resources for media content as many other Americans have already done. The offer of 400 dollars is the sole reason why I chose to continue service. Now I am not getting it? Now I have a 1/2 inch hole drilled into my house after you offered me 400 and switched it to 200. This injustice must not stand. This is my first complaint on a public forum. I typically don’t complain and just grin and bear it but this is unfortunate, at best. If you treat your very best customers like this, than think what they will do to you readers.

THE BAIT

1st event: (1 call, 1fwd to MGR,) 30 mins on the phone

I called in and inquired about these services. The operators I contacted were working from abroad and had no idea what I was talking about.

2nd event: (1 call, 1fwd to MGR,) 2 hrs on the phone

I called in to the number that was on the flier and reached a lady from Austin. She was cordial and friendly. Originally, try to get me a 300 dollar rewards card- move in- bundle deal. (Not what I wanted. I wanted the 400 rewards card as advertised). After profusely, telling me she could give me a 300 rewards without a qualifying bundle (I already have internet at the new house.) Her manager shot that down in flames and said only 200 was available for just Tv. She said she was actually saving me money since I am not getting the internet. (My intent is clear. I wanted the 400 dollar rewards card or I didn’t want anything.

3rd event  (1 call) 40 min on the phone

After rereading the mailer sent by ATT, I could not figure out why I didn’t qualify for the 400 reward card so I called what seemed to be a consummate, professional customer care rep. He told me that my previous operator entered me as a new account and messed everything up and that he would handle it. I asked him profusely if I was going to be awarded the 400 dollar reward card and he gave me every assurance that I would. I didn’t even say goodbye to him. I asked if he was positive that I was getting my 400 dollars and he said yes.

4th event (1 call) 25 min on the phone

The lady from Austin from before called me directly and asked me why I cancelled and why did I mess up her numbers for the month. She was salty at best. I explained to her that I just wanted the best deal possible so I called back and got a better deal. In an arrogant, sulking, childish, scoffing, and sarcastic type of tone she said to me, "Good luck on getting your 400 dollar rewards card. The people here will tell you anything you want to hear to get you enrolled." (or something like that). I brush this to the side and said goodbye. I chalked it all up to her being salty for not making the sale.

THE SWITCH

5th event (3 calls, 1 fwd to manager, 5 fwds to assorted departments) 2 hrs on the phone

The actions of the aforementioned lady from Austin started making me wonder if I was really getting the 400 rewards card. I looked it up on line and lo and behold it showed I was only getting a 200 rewards card. I instantly called the rewards department and got passed around from operator to operator all with the same message. They all stood by the same mantra which is I would have to wait longer see about the rewards card deal that I MAY qualify for. (MAY?  WE HAD AN IRON-CLAD AGREEMENT). Of note, at this point I am already saddened by the hardship I am facing with ATT yet there customer reps continue to upsell me tablets, att fiber, phone, and extra lines on my account. Insult to injury! I already bought something from you. Now fulfill your end of the bargain.

6th event (1 call) 40 mins on the phone

I spoke to a very professional lady from NC and she said that she did see a lot of shenanigans and tomfoolery on my account. She said she would check if there were any manager notes that I wasn’t seeing.  She would schedule a follow up call within 24 hrs with the operator who promised me the 400. It’s been 48 hours and I am not holding my breath for this call. In this particular battle, Goliath has slain David.

In my personal opinion, the actions of ATT in regards to my 400 USD rewards card are unequivocally representative of a bait and switch scheme when dealing with their ATT REWARDS program. This by far is not some happenstance error, system miscue or miscommunication. This is fraudulent behavior in its purest form. I will post this on every yelp, reddit, and public forum until I am heard. Do the right thing, ATT.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

To much chagrin,

ATT social media dept. contacted me and advised me to take my issue up with the rewards department. (Seriously? Wow.) This tells me that Chris from ATT social media services did not take the time to read my post. This culture of pushing off responsibility to various departments is deplorable. What ever happened to accountability and taking responsibility and finding a timely solution to problems? Please take my issues and everyone that I have dealt with and make a training tape on how not to treat people.

Here is a Diagram of how many times I have been referred and people passing the buck.

Customer Care> Customer Care> Customer Care> Customer Care>Rewards>Rewards>Rewards>Customer Care> Customer Care> Rewards> ATT Social Media Services>Rewards> ???

I have spoken to the rewards department at length and they referred back to customer care to verify what was promised or guaranteed to me. The only thing the rewards department can do (this is what they are telling me) is tell me what I "may" qualify for. "May" is the operative word as you have already agreed to me over the phone a 400 reward card. Which I find it hard to believe that an organization as large and efficient as ATT can’t keep track of what reward was awarded to which customer. Then again, maybe that's why there are hundreds of bait and switch topics in this public form. Please stop referring me to every different department of ATT over and over again and put me on with someone who can make a decision. Once and for all please honor the actions of your employees and do the right thing and honor your word.

It is eerily convenient that there is no mention of the 400 dollar rewards card in these operator notes. This is truly absurd and unfortunate. From my reading of the topics in forum, I will be lucky if even the 200 rewards card ever shows up.

For those of you keeping score,

Soldier/ Teacher: 0

Vs

ATT: 400$

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

Dear ATT,

In honor of this auspicious occasion, I have prepared a Japanese Haiku poem in hopes that my issue will be heard more readily.

Ode to ATT Reward Card Scam

Its funny to me
bills are to be paid timely
rewards not so much

The underlying sentiment here is that I am disheartened that I was told that I would receive a 400 rewards card and now and being told only 200. Please fix this at your earliest convenience.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

To much chagrin,

ATT social media dept. contacted me and advised me to take my issue up with the rewards department. (Seriously? Wow.) This tells me that Chris from ATT social media services did not take the time to read my post. This culture of pushing off responsibility to various departments is deplorable. What ever happened to accountability and taking responsibility and finding a timely solution to problems? Please take my issues and everyone that I have dealt with and make a training tape on how not to treat people.

Here is a Diagram of how many times I have been referred and people passing the buck.

Customer Care> Customer Care> Customer Care> Customer Care>Rewards>Rewards>Rewards>Customer Care> Customer Care> Rewards> ATT Social Media Services>Rewards> ???

I have spoken to the rewards department at length and they referred back to customer care to verify what was promised or guaranteed to me. The only thing the rewards department can do (this is what they are telling me) is tell me what I "may" qualify for. "May" is the operative word as you have already agreed to me over the phone a 400 reward card. Which I find it hard to believe that an organization as large and efficient as ATT can’t keep track of what reward was awarded to which customer. Then again, maybe that's why there are hundreds of bait and switch topics in this public form. Please stop referring me to every different department of ATT over and over again and put me on with someone who can make a decision. Once and for all please honor the actions of your employees and do the right thing and honor your word.

It is eerily convenient that there is no mention of the 400 dollar rewards card in these operator notes. This is truly absurd and unfortunate. From my reading of the topics in forum, I will be lucky if even the 200 rewards card ever shows up.

Vs

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

To much chagrin,

Vs

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

ATT is funny with their money.

#baitandswitch 

#worsethanwellsfargo #unethicalbusinesspractices

#stealsfromsoldiersandteachers

I lost. I got told to shut up and color basically. I spoke to one of the most senior managers in the building. She was like school on a Sunday—no class. She said that att can’t be held responsible for the actions that their employees do. I told her that the employees work for ATT and not me. Therefore ATT should be liable for the 400 dollars I was promised. She told me that is not the case and to check the fine print (I did and I qualify for the 400). She also said that I could cancel and I asked her what about the hole drilled in my wall and the borg bulky blinky light thing they installed and my dig up yard.

She Gave me two options:

-option a: a 400 gift card (by the looks of other forums post I read I’ll never receive it in time to use it) but my bill will go from 100 to 154 plus tax (not original agreement)

-option b: a 200 dollar gift card (prolly will never get it) and promotions that will make my bill 100 (previously agreed amount)

i told her how bout option c which is y’all do what was guaranteed. The 400 gift card and the 100/per month bill.

she declined.

Welcome to American greed where major corporations can tell you one thing and do another.

Iimagine I was a hot dog Salesman and a sign that says 99 cents. Then when you go pay the hot dog salesman charges your visa 50 dollars. Then by the time you get done with the hot dog salesman’s 50 customer service reps your so frustrated your just out 50 dollars. That’s what happened to me. Be warned. 

I ended up conceding to her on the phone. I said in your heart you know this is wrong and if you can sleep at night that your doing this to good people. Then fine. I told her all the fight in this dog was left in Iraq the last four times I went. Then she said her husband is a 5x combat veteran as well. That just made me sad. Soldiers are supposed to help each other. I know these people owe me money. The whole thing is amoral I tell you.

its not worth the massive evil  drop 

the over 500 dollar wireless I have with you

100 uverse tv and internet

80 direct tv

two tablets (I got upsold on)

So, I officially concede. Y’all win. I’m done. I’ll jist grin and bear it.”

one glorious day day I will get the gumption to switch to boost mobile and Time Warner. My 13 years of loyalty is waning. Man, I am bitter.

Strike two, ATT.

ps: to make it real funny don’t pay me the 200 gift card you reduced my 400 too and get amnesia again when I call that would be really funny.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

To date and right on cue,

I have not received the 200 dollar rewards card they reduced my 400 rewards card too. What everyone is writing in this forum is correct. Its been 45 days and nothing but its funny ATT expects me to pay my bill on time yet you cant pay your rewards cards on time. Double Standard. #hypocrisy The kicker is the fact that my cable doesn't even work. Its just sitting there collecting dust while money is flying out of my pocket. It keeps telling me to reboot my receiver and when I do nothing, nada. So much for the amazing, reliable new fiber I was pitched and bamboozled with a bait and switch 400 rewards card. 

So for those of you keeping track. I was lured with a 400 rewards card. Arbitrarily downgraded to a 200 rewards card. 45 days later I have received no rewards card and ATT is getting nice steady 100 dollar payments from free from me for cable that doesnt work and I didnt want in the first place. ATT had no intention of paying any sort of rewards card #SCAM

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Sorry to say, but you are not alone in this AT&T scam.

I placed an order on April 2. While placing the order, I was told that I will get a 400$ gift card if I order UVerse-TV and Internet service on that day. I agreed and while working on creating the account and placing the order, the call got disconnected.

So I called them again, and this time, a new Sales person told me the same promotion and we completed the order.

Luckily for me, I decided to search AT&T 400$ gift card on Google and found that almost all of them are scam or AT&T Click and Bait threads.

So I called AT&T today and they said they can only see a 200$ Promotion on my account. This is CORPORATE Cheating and Scamming of the Highest Level. Luckily for me, I have audio recordings of my order on April 2nd and I will escalating this further.

My service start date is April 21, so I have time to get this resolved.

Scholar

• 

222 Messages

6 years ago

There was a $400 promo that went from March 1-31.  The Promo was $300 for Uverse TV and another $100 for Internet.  It expired at the end of March and is now only $200 for TV and $50 for Internet.  

I received my $300 for TV ten days after the install date.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.